Stradbroke Island Report 8th & 9th May.

Angus

Well what can I say. Awesome weekend.

We dudded a bit as far as original plans went. We had intended to fish hard on the headland for the whole weekend chasing trevs, kingies, tailor and whatever else was willing to hit slugs and poppers. However the weather caused this to be a total non option.

We did head down the cliffs to the water on the dawn of saturday but were soon turned off. No hits after an hour, dangerous conditions (hige swell and high winds) made us sit down a re evaluate. Even if we had hooked a fish it would have proved nigh on impossible to land I expect.

So off we headed to plan be. Flicking the Frenchmans Beach gutters (slightly wind protected) with plastics in the hope of bream, dart, whiting and flatties. The house was full of guests so we had hoped to peice together a good feed "straddy style" for lunch. Well we were not to dissapoint on that front and over the next 2-3 hours we landed 10 large dart and 3 30cm+ bream all on plastics. There were countless migit dart released to grow up for another day as well.

After this it was home for lunch and small rest and then off to Dunwich to pick up Biljana (Do$tylz lovelt mrs). We planned to head to Dunwich a couple of hours early so we could flick for Trevally at the jetty. Upon arriving we met fellow AFO members ONTHECHEW and PlasticFantastic just in time to see PlasticFantastic land a solid little GT. Woot looked like we were in the right place.

Well after our 2 hours waiting for Billi we didnt have any trevs to show. PlasticFantastic did however manage another 2 GT's and I landed a Flounder, Squire and Moses Perch so it was a fun little session all round. We had a bit of a chat with the other boys and they imparted some awesome info about the area and its trevally so we will be back!

After this we headed back to the house to clean up as we had a 60th to go to. Our neighbour Laurie, a local fisherman and builder was putting on quite the shin dig. The girls were going for the champagne and Do$stylz and I went to pick the brains of all the other locals attending! Great night all round and hopefully a few new AFO converts!

NExt day (a little rusty to be honest) we were off again down to the gutters chasing surf fish on plastics. Dad joined us this day as well which was good. I had a little nap on the beach (thanks for the photo Henry :P ), once we arrived and woke to find dad and Do$stylz cleaning up on dart. So up I got and into the action.

It was a morning dartathon with no bream landed this day. Dad however on a whim decided to catch a beach worm and turned this into 2 elbow slapper whiting which was nice for a change.

After this is was one more Straddy Lunch, a nice walk with the girls around the headland and home again home again.

Awesome weekend and thanks for the good comapny and new meetings.

Cant wait till the next Straddy adventure!

Angus.

P.S. Malcolm I met your inlaws at the party mate :P

My first. Overkill on the gear but we had planned to be targeting bigger fish.

Never the less, dart in the surf are a lot of fun always turning on their side and making the fight more interesting than you would think.

. 5-20100510.jpg

and Angus sleeping.

We got down to the beach and at the bottom he goes "i think I might have a nap". This is after a whole lot of boozing and getting only 4 hours sleep. At 830am he actually got up and was able to contribute a fish or 2 to the lunch :P09052010065_AFO.jpg

post-873-144598523367_thumb.jpg

now this is living, weekend on an island with freinds with some fishing and the odd shandy at night to wet the whistle. those dart do go well in the surf for their size angus but you'll need a week to get over it by the sounds of it love ya work

mark

tugger wrote:

now this is living, weekend on an island with freinds with some fishing and the odd shandy at night to wet the whistle. those dart do go well in the surf for their size angus but you'll need a week to get over it by the sounds of it love ya work

mark

Yeah mate already planning a winter week.

To many options over there is blows my head hahaha.

Angus

Good to meet you guys over there, it is one of the better land based spots that we know of that constantly produces. Mark showed me up on that day, but taking him off shore on tuesday, that is my domain and he doesn't perform as well if he is not on dry land.. :cheer:

That spot is heaps better when it is not so bloody windy.

Andrew

ONTHECHEW wrote:

Good to meet you guys over there, it is one of the better land based spots that we know of that constantly produces. Mark showed me up on that day, but taking him off shore on tuesday, that is my domain and he doesn't perform as well if he is not on dry land.. :cheer:

That spot is heaps better when it is not so bloody windy.

Andrew

Yeah the wind was tough mate! Nice when the barges come in.

Looking forward to the Tuesday report :)

I was looking at your whole album as well (holy @#$%).

So how much is a trip on ONTHECHEW charters? :P

Angus

Archived