fork or tip

sweresy

so we are going to see photo's of snapper with their tails squashed down horizontal. Would it not be easier and less agro to measure to the fork on this species and for bream also. IMO it would be more accurate than trying to judge millimetres when the tail is all pulled into an unnatural position.

Just my 2 cents worth

tomca wrote:

so we are going to see photo's of snapper with their tails squashed down horizontal. Would it not be easier and less agro to measure to the fork on this species and for bream also. IMO it would be more accurate than trying to judge millimetres when the tail is all pulled into an unnatural position.

Just my 2 cents worth

+1 ;)

I always prefer a tip measurement. But at the same time, you need to leave the tail open. Too many people squash the tails down from an open tail to the height of their tail wrist.

So for those that measure properly, they would be at a disadvantage than the guys that don't and cheat a few millimetres out of it.

Fork measurements eliminate this.

I'm all for tip measurements if they're measured properly!

The Ends of the tail are suppose to be open, like < not squashed horizontal like = !

So as tomca suggested, I think fork is a much more fairer system to measure comps with, as its a bit harder to cheat out those extra millimetres (or centimetres) than simply squashing down the tail.

Terry H wrote:

Next time you catch a bream, snapper, bass etc. Whack it full tail spread open on a mat, then compare that measurement with the tail squashed down.

So thats how a 56cm Biggles snapper looks way smaller than a TerryH 55cm snapper :laugh: :P

Al likes to squeeze all he can out of his juvi fish mate, you should know that :P

Nothing like hearing Al go "Yea I got a 56cm snapper" then comparing that to my 55 and be like "wtf Al?" lol

I reckon his fish just shrunk from the Co-op to the ramp...

Terry H wrote:

I'm all for tip measurements if they're measured properly!

The Ends of the tail are suppose to be open, like < not squashed horizontal like = !

So as tomca suggested, I think fork is a much more fairer system to measure comps with, as its a bit harder to cheat out those extra millimetres (or centimetres) than simply squashing down the tail.

Davo_Dinkum wrote: so u mean i could have squashed a tail down on a bream and made a 24.5 cm bream legal .

I can see tomca`s point of view,and some comps do work that way.

I believe that it is up to judges to reject a fish/photo that is presented to them with an obviously squashed/stretched tail measurement at the time of it being submitted.

If you check in the Qld fishing regulations they show that a fish is measured to the tip of the opened tail.

davo I don`t think any fishery patrol officer would see it your way

shortie wrote:

It doesnt matter. Cuase at the end of the day its a photo comp and its up the the judges discretion which fish is the largest.
agree with you on this aswell,i also see a lot of photos with there start not even on the mat where it should be,at the end of the day who are you realy cheating on the correct length.but back too the post i would say the tip.brad

i was only playing .

have played with a dead bream tail once i reckon the was maybe 5 mm difference ,max.

gad .

i wouldn't even try it ,i don't want the fines .

there hard enough to hold on the mat ,let alone try and stuff about with the tail.

i put them on the mat if they are not a good legal size or over they go back .

a good legal is to me it is say a bream ,over 25 while i hold it there and it squirms about.

not going to risk 24.9 cm etc ,heard the fish shrink as the dry up anyways.

if i have a doubt i send them back ,i don't want the fine or headache.

as for a comp .

its up the the judges .

they work it out ,all good .

i don't really care .

i fish for a feed and fun .

Archived