to those of you with boats

noname

if you intend to stray afeild at night, make sure you have your all round white light! no! not your anchor light, rather 1 you can see from 360 degree's, the water rats were in the river and bay checking everybody, yes. everybody. even seen a guy get booked during daylight hours at colmslie the other day for lights not working. even though it was daylight, so be warned, if you own a boat, your choice to make it seaworthy. too late after ya $270 donated to the beerfest at chrissy time for the lads down at the port ! and bein honest, i agree with this.

bloody oath its safety for you in your boat and me when im in another boat.

one night i had those emergency ones on my boat and a mate said to me i cant see you from 100mtrs away. :unsure:

I's worth asking some other boatie if your not sure.

you have to be seen

That's rubbish! There is no legislation that a boat must have lights during the day! Only mention I ever see is for ships operating between sunset and sunrise. As such, there is NO grounds to fine you for not having lights during the day.

Happy to be proven wrong but :)

i agree that every one make sure your lights are ready to go,all so a back up jumpstart thing or spare battery incase main one goes flat!!

but as for getting fined for lights not working during day sounds strange. i could understand if he had his lights back the front with the green and red! and getting a fine for that. but the other week i had a dead battery and done the best i could with the torch, pulled up by the water police and explained what happened and they said i was doing the right thing with the torch! just be careful and get back to the ramp. no fine! i was reliefed i tell ya lol!! :laugh:

Terry H wrote:

That's rubbish! There is no legislation that a boat must have lights during the day! Only mention I ever see is for ships operating between sunset and sunrise. As such, there is NO grounds to fine you for not having lights during the day.

Happy to be proven wrong but :)

Not trying to prove you wrong. Terry, but you also need to have lights on if the visibility requires it (maybe in rain or fog). I can't understand how you could be fined if the weather is good and it is daylight?

i agree with you here, but lets just say you had an epirb, the old or an expired current digital epirb, and it was sittin in the boat in the logan or brisbane river! not required but yet, deemed illegal, because it was simply on board the vessel,with it comes a fine.as mentioned bad weather such as rain requires nav lights to be switched on.

Sounds iffy to me bet a penny to a pound there was more to it like other offences involved, seen it happen thousands of times with vehicles pulled over for an offence then something clicks and the book comes out next minute theres a bald tyre indicator light not working

Dave

i had a feeling they would come down hard on lights after the tragic death with the jet ski having no lights and getting hit at night by another boat. they have the right to do this at night or during the day as if the boat is of a certain size it requires the right saftey gear and lights fitted to be all in good order and working just like your car would on the road. you can't drive an unroadworty car even during the day they can pull you up and check anything and everything on it like lights and issue tickets. you can try an argue with them if you like but your better off being compliant with your boat than cop a fine i bet it's cheaper to have it all working than cop the fine. all to often they crack down on certain things when its been highlighted with accidents and getting alot of media attention

tugger wrote:

i had a feeling they would come down hard on lights after the tragic death with the jet ski having no lights and getting hit at night by another boat. they have the right to do this at night or during the day as if the boat is of a certain size it requires the right saftey gear and lights fitted to be all in good order and working just like your car would on the road. you can't drive an unroadworty car even during the day they can pull you up and check anything and everything on it like lights and issue tickets. you can try an argue with them if you like but your better off being compliant with your boat than cop a fine i bet it's cheaper to have it all working than cop the fine. all to often they crack down on certain things when its been highlighted with accidents and getting alot of media attention

also there was a recent change of law to do with fines of any kind. if you dont pay them they simply take your drivers license away, there was an article in the paper a few months back about a man who had an unregistered dog (council didnt know it had died) he received a letter from the enforcement agency saying his license will be suspended unless he pays, he went to court and had to prove the dog was dead.

Id say its to do with the federal governments massive spending and high debt. so be warned they have more power than ever to get the monies in from all fines. I believe thats why they are out in force, I know see traffic cops everyday in the bne airport aera pulling people over etc. my brother has a minor traffic offence fine 100$ or so almost five years ago, he refused to pay and just a few months ago he got the letter saying if he didnt pay he would not be able to drive. (so i looked into it)

snapsnap wrote:

tugger wrote:

also there was a recent change of law to do with fines of any kind. if you dont pay them they simply take your drivers license away, there was an article in the paper a few months back about a man who had an unregistered dog (council didnt know it had died) he received a letter from the enforcement agency saying his license will be suspended unless he pays, he went to court and had to prove the dog was dead.

Id say its to do with the federal governments massive spending and high debt. so be warned they have more power than ever to get the monies in from all fines. I believe thats why they are out in force, I know see traffic cops everyday in the bne airport aera pulling people over etc. my brother has a minor traffic offence fine 100$ or so almost five years ago, he refused to pay and just a few months ago he got the letter saying if he didnt pay he would not be able to drive. (so i looked into it)

I spent 25years in Law enforcement when times are hard the busier we got and the more money we earned because what you said is part right the Govt use the Police as money raisers its an unfortunate part of life but the workers and battlers always get hit the hardest, they cant afford to keep the cars,boats and dogs registered they let them slip then bang its a fine then the next thing Licence suspended so what do you do drive BAng another fine deeper into debt S&%it Lets go Fishing

i been down that road a few times .

with the dog rego .

let it slide cause u don't have the $.

then get a fine and have to pay the rego.

so it cost u 3 times as much ,that u still can't afford but have to pay .

always end up finding the $ and paying the fine,before it gets bigger ,my licence is worth too much to me.

with the cars it never happened ,if i can't pay the rego on time i just don't drive it .

way to much risk there.

used to cop fines from the council for all sort of things .

dog rego ,building materials in the yard ,not mowing my lawn ,have unregistered /damaged cars in my yard .

went on for a few years ,when the fines got to 300$ and up .i gave up and complied .

well that was all years ago when i was young and dumb ,haven't had a problem since.

i play it safe and stick to there rules .

check this site might help :)

note no mention of has to be fitted unless driven between sun down and up ?

I do how ever think that all craft who intend to be on the water till dusk or dawn hrs must have workable lighting :)

coming in just on dark (Moololabah) Dozens of Ski/kayak paddlers no lights :angry::angry:

BTW all my light were on and working :woohoo:

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights.aspx

Cheers Gaz

Maritime Safety queensland Govt STATES:

Boats at anchor must show an all-round white

light placed where it may best be seen.

Anchor lights must always be shown from sunset

to sunrise. If you are at anchor or in a busy area,

then show additional lights (not navigation lights)

to ensure you are seen, and keep a good watch.

The collision regulations require an anchor light

be visible for 2 nautical miles for all vessels up to

50 metres long.( qld Maritime )

I think if you make every attempt to follow this reg you would be okay mine is raised but I havent seen it at night yet so this will be the test for it I might try it out tonight while I'm checking the battery charge, I think if you dont have a mast its pretty hard to get one that raises above most biminis for a 360 degree light Looking at the Reg it also states BEST BE SEEN

just tried mine out bright little sucker but I think looking at it its taller than the windscreen but with the clears on its pushing it to be taller, my response to any body would be that its able to be seen throught the clears and that I've made every attempt to make it seen

Beejay wrote:

my anchor light is at the back of my boat, do I need to put it on the roof of my boat?

It dosent matter where it is front back or centre as long as it can been seen 360 dgrees if not provide extra lighting so that it can been seen from any angle and 2 nautical miles, I've just sorted out a small led lantern that I'll tape to the top of the covers if I need it

daveylad wrote:

Beejay wrote:
my anchor light is at the back of my boat, do I need to put it on the roof of my boat?

It dosent matter where it is front back or centre as long as it can been seen 360 dgrees if not provide extra lighting so that it can been seen from any angle and 2 nautical miles, I've just sorted out a small led lantern that I'll tape to the top of the covers if I need it

Wheres TUGGER he'll be able to give us the best and most accurate info?

I strongly suggest your most accurate source of information will come from here

or if you want to read it in full then search

/>http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/OQPChome.htm

for the following Acts.

Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994

Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulation 2004

Transport Operations (Marine Safety—Recreational Ships Miscellaneous Equipment)Standard 2006

or you could ask someone who has the knowledge, skill and resources to issue such a ticket.

bootyinblue wrote:

I strongly suggest your most accurate source of information will come from here

or if you want to read it in full then search

/>http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/OQPChome.htm

for the following Acts.

Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994

Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulation 2004

Transport Operations (Marine Safety—Recreational Ships Miscellaneous Equipment)Standard 2006

or you could ask someone who has the knowledge, skill and resources to issue such a ticket.

Now that would be a challenge :lol:

Before I joined the NSW coppers I worked int eh Corective Services (Prisons) did 7years 9 months and 3 days but who was counting, thing is it was full of people who were all innocent it was fascinating evryone of them had all been picked on and had'nt done anything wrong :P

your anchor light must be seen from all round which a lot of boats have them at the back and are an all round light but canopies and steering positions block this from being seen from any direction. this is where the confusion starts for most as the boat was sold new like this in alot of cases and are in fact not complying with the regulations. so the anchor light needs to be above every thing in the boat

i hope this helps as regulations are vague at times

this is a hot topic in alot of forums at the moment and discusion like this is very helpful not just guiding someone to a govt web site will always do

tugger

daveylad wrote:

Before I joined the NSW coppers I worked int eh Corective Services (Prisons) did 7years 9 months and 3 days but who was counting, thing is it was full of people who were all innocent it was fascinating evryone of them had all been picked on and had'nt done anything wrong :P

Are any of the characters in Ubderbelly: The Golden Mile based on you? LMAO :P

I reckon the legislation is clear enough. The only problem I have got with my boat is the as near as practical to the centreline part. This leaves a lot up to the discretion of the offier involved.

For my boat my white all round is a ridiculously bright led light (will burn your retinas if you stare at it) on a telescopic stainless shaft that is a good 40cm above the bimini fully extended. Only problem it is to the far right of the keel.

I am hoping that if I ever am going to be pulled over and given a safety check common sense will prevail.

bootyinblue wrote:

Guess it just depends on whether you want fact or fiction.....

Mate just done 18years, same as any job some know some dont, and some make out they do know. Just yesterday an ex pleasded not guilty to a fine and won. You know well that too many infringements are passed into law without being thought out how they are going to be policed properly dont get me wrong but the govts come on tv stating that they've brought in this and that offence and the fines are whopping, they never tell people that most of them, are not policable (is there such a word?)Things are just not black and white althought its written that way sometimes get to court and theres alweays a grey area its called Reasonable Doubt (too much verbal) you know what they say theres no more ex than an ex :laugh: :silly: :lol: :laugh: ;)

Forgetting about the occasional overzealous water cop, what we should remember in all this is that the intent of the legislation is to keep us all safe. It might seem crazy to have a white light that is 1.5m above the level of your gunnals but when you think about it, if you are standing between the white light and a boat that is coming toward you, or your bimini or centre console just cuts off that light from the wrong angle, anything could happen. I want to fix my lights so that I am safe on the water, not so I dodge a fine.

dhess wrote:

daveylad wrote:

Are any of the characters in Ubderbelly: The Golden Mile based on you? LMAO :P

I reckon the legislation is clear enough. The only problem I have got with my boat is the as near as practical to the centreline part. This leaves a lot up to the discretion of the offier involved.

For my boat my white all round is a ridiculously bright led light (will burn your retinas if you stare at it) on a telescopic stainless shaft that is a good 40cm above the bimini fully extended. Only problem it is to the far right of the keel.

I am hoping that if I ever am going to be pulled over and given a safety check common sense will prevail.

Funny you should say that I worked with many of them, and also looked after some of them in the nick, not watching the programme myself but I bet it mentions the unit I worked in S.W.O.S.

Think the only grey area would be that where an incorrect light is casting a shadow.

Make sure your lights at night work in accordance with the legislation and you have nothing to worry about.

I know for a fact my stern light doesnt comply, so I carry an all round white light which I can zip tie on to the canopy rail if I travel after dark.

i don't think its that hard to understand ,when u read it and look at the pictures .

here are the main points and pictures from the pdf file on the Maritime Safety Queensland ,Navigation lights page.

Which boats need to have lights fitted?

All boats must show lights if operating at night or in restricted visibility. Even a boat that does not travel

between dusk and dawn may still need to show lights, for example during a heavy rain shower; or when at

anchor.

Boats operating by sail or rowing are required to show different lights to those motoring. However, a yacht

must comply with the power boat lighting requirements when under motor.

Lights affecting the operator’s vision

Navigation lights must be installed to prevent the lights from shining into the operator’s eyes. For open

boats, this can be achieved by using a shielded light on a mast or pole. This could also be achieved by

placing the light support behind the operator and above head height, rather than in the bow or amidships.

Some LED lights are less prone to affecting night vision than conventional incandescent lights.

light_back.jpg

Stern light

A stern light is located near the stern to show a white light over an arc of the horizon of 135° behind the

boat. On an outboard craft, it may be necessary to mount the stern light on a mast, or to one side of the

boat, to avoid the motor obscuring the light.

Side

rear_light_wrong.jpg

All round white light

An all-round white light shows over a nominal arc of the horizon of 360°. The light fitting must be located at

least one metre above the sidelights; and should as far as practicable, be on the centreline of the boat. As a

general rule, an all round white light should not be obscured by masts or other structures by more than 6° of

arc. If that’s not possible, or the light would shine into the operator’s eyes, a masthead light in combination

with a stern light is an alternative to an all round white light.

white_light.jpg

Side lights

Most boats need to have a port (red) and a starboard (green) side light each showing an unbroken light

over an arc of the horizon of 112.5°. If the design of the boat allows, a combination port and starboard light

unit can be mounted on the centreline of the boat, in place of two individual side lights.

Individual side lights come in two styles, those intended to be mounted on a horizontal surface such as a

deck and those intended to be mounted on a vertical surface such as the topsides or the side of the cabin.

Be careful not to mount lights on a horizontal surface if they are designed to be mounted on a vertical

surface, and vice-versa, because they will shine in the wrong direction.

Horizontally mounted side lights generally come with a reference line marked on them which must be kept

parallel to the centreline of the boat when fitting the light.

Vertically mounted side lights must be fitted with the back of the light parallel to the centre line of the vessel

so that the light will be visible in the correct sector and the lights don’t cross over. This means when lights

are mounted on a vertical or near vertical surface that is not parallel to the centre line or not vertical, a

wedge or similar must be provided to achieve the correct alignment in both planes.

side_lights.jpg

this is the info for boats under 12 meters .

A bit more info.

should be fitted by the manufacturer or an

authorised person.

• The masthead and/or all-round white light

must be fitted (if practical) on the centre line

(bow to stern) of the boat. When operating at

night, carry replacement bulbs.

Minimum required lights

Boats under way

Power boats

• Less than 7 metres in length with a maximum

speed not exceeding 7 knots – a white light

visible all round and, if possible, separate or

combined sidelights.

• Less than 12 metres in length:

– separate or combined sidelights, a masthead

light and a stern light or

– separate or combined sidelights, an all-round

white.

Sailing boats

• Less than 7 metres in length – the lights

required for sailing boats over 7 metres in

length. If not, a torch or lantern showing a

white light ready to display to avoid a collision.

• More than 7 metres in length and less than 20

metres in length:

Incorrect installation Correct installation

a) combined lantern at or near the top of the

mast that incorporates sidelights and stern

light or

B) separate sidelights and stern light.

Non-powered boats

On the Brisbane River, rowing sculls are required

to display a flashing all-round white light while

training or in competition, between sunset and

sunrise.

Boats at anchor

Boats at anchor must show an all-round white

light placed where it may best be seen.

Anchor lights must always be shown from sunset

to sunrise. If you are at anchor or in a busy area,

then show additional lights (not navigation lights)

to ensure you are seen, and keep a good watch.

The collision regulations require an anchor light

be visible for 2 nautical miles for all vessels up to

50 metres long.

Lights on boats to keep clear of

There are many other combinations of lights used

on boats. The lights shown relate to the activity

it is engaged in (i.e. fishing, dredging, not under

command).

A simple rule of thumb for a small powerboat is

to stay clear of any boats exhibiting additional

lights.

Maritime Safety

If I had any doubt that I had the proper lighting and had a smaller boat I would buy a LED lights or Lantern for about $10 and simply mount it with duct tape or something on a pole, rod or antenna. LED they will last all night on a couple of AA batteries and this should be visible all around the boat may not look pretty but it should comply with the visability part of the regs

I guess the bottom line is make sure your boat is seen plenty of light works out cheap when you think what the consequences could be and I dont mena a fine

Dave

Archived