hook removal tool question

Went out this morning and landed a 70cm threadie on prawn.

problem is the fish swallowed the hook into its throat and the hook was protruding enough to see it but it was difficult to turn the hook upside down so I could remove the hook without tearing the fishes throat out.

Now I have seen some hook removers but would they do the job when you have to intricately have to turn the hook upside down to be able to remove it from the fishes throat.

Many I have seen like the Rapalas versions do not look as if they would be any good to maneuver the hook into position, especially when it is 5 inches into a fishes gob.

The best hook remover I ever had was similar to the Rapala but it had little pliers jaws on the end instead of a hook, and you could move the hook into position and remove it easily, even when it was a largish fish and the hook was 5 inches down or so.

This morning I had to stick my finger behind the fishes gill to access the hook and flick it upside down so I could pull it outwards with my finger, not the best but the fish swam off ok without any real nasty damage.

What do thers use in this situation, especially with Threadies as they seem to have quite a fleshy gut/throat and typically scoff the bait (Yes I use circle hooks).

Cheers

I use the one you described the rapla for the swallowed and toothy ones where you have to get in close. Otherwise I manage with plyers especially when thy are thrashing around. I find with my eyes the rapla ones are too small but good for getting in deep down the gullett

i use my tacklerat longnose pliers/split ring pliers for most dehookings,

was the hook lodged in the gut opening, along the harder plate that runs along hte bottom of the throat where the gill arches join, or somewhere else?

with lures a deep hooking isn't that common but when it happens i just go in with the pliers sticking my hand inside the bucketmouth. i crush the barbs a little bit too so they're easier to pull out (not crushed all the way)

i used to use circles a bit when live baiting and i found them especially hard to remove when deep hooked, and i had plenty of deep hooked threadies using them in the dark days of baitrunning (the circle hook would catch on the gut opening if the fish was allowed enough time to swallow the bait down)

have you tried a regular hook and hooking them a bit earlier when going for threadies in particular?

cheers

Dan

yeah hooked in the fleshy hole bit at the back of the fishes mouth, kind of like a gut opening.

Yes rod was in a holder, I was quick but let it run about a foot till I set the hook.

Might have to give that spot a miss as all I seem to catch is threadies, I am more interested in other species these days, and catching threadies is good, but if I am killing them due to bogus hook removal it sort of goes against the whole catch and release thing.

Contrary to what many say, I have always found the circle hook easily swallowed,on the other hand bait holders with a longer shank will also gut hook a threadie.

They have such big mouths and are such voracious eaters.

Cheers

elops wrote:

Like shortie said just cut the line if you cant remove it.

So I thought it was proven that the hook more often than not caused blood poisoning to the fish and actually did not rust away so quick.

And arn't you meant to leave 15cm of line so the hook will not turn in the fishes throat over time?

Cheers

I only cut the hook off if there is no chance of removal,as for a hook removal tool I use 9 inch or 12 inch hemostat forceps,even the cheap ones are made or reasonably good stainless,you can get 4 sets off ebay for around $20 to your door,the best thing is they lock on to the hook.

hooked_on_trout wrote:

elops wrote:

So I thought it was proven that the hook more often than not caused blood poisoning to the fish and actually did not rust away so quick.

And arn't you meant to leave 15cm of line so the hook will not turn in the fishes throat over time?

Cheers

Have had a few fish that I tagged that were hooked deep and the hook left in them recaptured there are many examples of this recorded. Leaving x amount of line is debatable there are many theories on this.

elops wrote:

hooked_on_trout wrote:
elops wrote:

Cheers

Have had a few fish that I tagged that were hooked deep and the hook left in them recaptured there are many examples of this recorded. Leaving x amount of line is debatable there are many theories on this.

thanks for that, I guess a tagged fish would let you know exactly how the fish fared over time.

cheers

scrote wrote:

I only cut the hook off if there is no chance of removal,as for a hook removal tool I use 9 inch or 12 inch hemostat forceps,even the cheap ones are made or reasonably good stainless,you can get 4 sets off eBay for around $20 to your door,the best thing is they lock on to the hook.

Yes I might grab a set off eBay, even when a fish does not swallow the hook completely it can be difficult to remove.

I have actually seen these on US sites marketed as hook removal tools, and I was thinking o 0(Hang on that a set of medical forceps).

EDIT: I was looking for that site but just stumbled upon this, it is the one I was talking about. If you notice the plier grips on the end sit at about a 20 degree angle so you can flick the hook around easily and remove it when there is a deep hook up.

another option but not so easy to find

Check em Out They call them the Baker removal tool and I have not seen any in Aus

Cheers

Archived