Other fish in Bass closed season

fenelious

Being that it's closed season for Bass in all rivers and creeks except upstream of the designated dams, meaning you're not allowed to catch or even 'target' Bass, is there any method you can use to catch species such as Golden Perch, Cod, and Saratoga in rivers that won't be viewed as targeting Bass? Or does Bass closed season effectively mean closed season for these fish as well?

-Steve.

Its not closed for those other species as far as I know

I've found most freshwater fish would go for the same styles of lures and baits, if you do catch a Bass, that cannot be helped and your not breaking the law. Just return the fish quickly to the water

The easiest way to answer this is.

What are you going to catch if you fish with lures in Bass waters ?

Bass of course. Leave them alone to breed this is the purpose of the closed season.

As a footnote Cod in closed Bass water in QLD are Mary River Cod and are totaly protected,

As said the streams are not closed its just closed season on targeting bass. You are not in trouble if you are seen with a lure on that bass like, but if you say you are after bass when the dpi come along then you are in trouble. There are a lot of if's but usualy common sense prevails. It would be better understood if these streams were closed for this period.

Dino

Use bait such bread or corn and chase carp and tilapia and leave the natives alone. After all the closed season is only a short period.

According to the letter of the law if you remove a bass from the water even to unhook it it is deemed to be taken and an offence committed.

If you search the old postsw frrom around this time last year you will find a copy of the ruling from the DPI that I obtained.

Cheers

Ray

Dinodadog wrote:

As said the streams are not closed its just closed season on targeting bass. You are not in trouble if you are seen with a lure on that bass like, but if you say you are after bass when the dpi come along then you are in trouble. There are a lot of if's but usualy common sense prevails.

If the B&F Patrol comes along and you are fishing with lures in closed Bass waters give me one reasonable excuse or justification you can use?

Here is a copy of ruling from deedi.

This is the definition of “take†as stated in the Fisheries Act 1994

take fisheries resources includes—

(a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and

(B) attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or

land; and

© land (from a boat or in another way), bring ashore or

tranship.

You will notice that attempting to catch fish is included in the definition of take and therefore my understanding is that if someone is attempting to take a species of fish during a closed season they would be in breech of the regulation.

Cheers

Ray

Wont wash with B&F Dino Yellows and Silvers are non indiginous natives and not considered to exist in Bass streams (even though there are some) Targeting Mullet with small lures is just another BS excuse, you are going to catch Bass. Try it out they are not idiots.

Dinodadog wrote:

It doesnt matter if it is BS or not the rules are a joke the streams need to be closed its the only way people will understand. DPI cant fine you for throwing lures in the water and nor can they fine you for sitting there with a bait in the water.

I agree completly closed removes any grey area.

If they see you continuing to fish if you catch and release a Bass they will inform you of the attempt to catch rule they are well versed in the finer points of the act after last seasons debacle .

elops wrote:

And by the ruling on attempt to catch if you "accidently"(which is BS if you are lurefishing in Bass waters anyway) catch a Bass and release it then contininue to fish in the same manner you are attempting to catch.

You always seem to talk crap and I am sick of it mate

Just because there are Bass in a waterway doesn't mean it's illegal to fish there. There are tarpon, yellowbelly and cod where I fish and I have caught them all (except cod) so I will continue to fish there, regardless of what you say.

Tell me then if you fish anywhere, river, ocean, dam etc and you catch an undersize fish? Thats illegal, so by you knowing there are undersize fish in the water and you catch one, how do I know you aren't targetting them?

last year i was pretty keen on chasing bass in the rivers .

when the closed season came ,i just stop fishing the fresh water and brackish parts of the river and headed to the salt.

seamed the best way to me .

closing the river /stream ,the fresh /brackish parts would be the best way i reckon.

removes any grey area.

If you think that statement you quote is crap check it out with B&F or put it to test in front of them. Catching Bass during the closed season does interrupt or even stop the breeding cycle this is the purpose of the closed season.Plenty of other places to fish.

Nothing wrong with accidently catching a no take fish of any type and releasing it that is the nature of fishing.

elops wrote:

Dinodadog wrote:
As said the streams are not closed its just closed season on targeting bass. You are not in trouble if you are seen with a lure on that bass like, but if you say you are after bass when the dpi come along then you are in trouble. There are a lot of if's but usualy common sense prevails.

If the B&F Patrol comes along and you are fishing with lures in closed Bass waters give me one reasonable excuse or justification you can use?

Im chasing yellowbelly?

Key word in your statement is closed BASS waters, not closed YELLOWBELLY waters

elops wrote:

Wont wash with B&F Dino Yellows and Silvers are non indiginous natives and not considered to exist in Bass streams (even though there are some) Targeting Mullet with small lures is just another BS excuse, you are going to catch Bass. Try it out they are not idiots.

Wont wash with B&F Dino Yellows and Silvers are non indiginous natives and not considered to exist in Bass streams (even though there are some)

Where's the problem? If they exist, they exist, end of story. Who gives a toss if they "aren't" supposed to be there

elops wrote:

Targeting yellowbelly ?

elops wrote:

elops wrote:

Targeting yellowbelly ?

Yes

elops wrote:

bravoboy you obviously are happy to use the grey areas and excuses, your choice.

If you are happy to get Bass bycatch and interrupt or stop them from breeding, your decision.

Your missing the point, I have not said any of the above.

Explain this to me then, its a similar matter

Same rule applies for Tilapia and carp in regards to possession, so theoretically since no one can have those species in possession then that means you cannot fish waterways that have them, correct? So I cant fish freshwater (rivers and dams) and some saltwater areas from queensland down to nsw, vic and SA in case I catch them?

"Just because there are Bass in a waterway doesn't mean it's illegal to fish there. There are tarpon, yellowbelly and cod where I fish and I have caught them all (except cod) so I will continue to fish there, regardless of what you say."

Bravoboy could you please tell me how you can target these other species and not " accidentally" catch a bass?

Are you aware of the large number of bass that went over the wall during the recent wet season?

These fish are going to form the neucleus of a very good bass fishery in all freshwater streams in SEQ for years to come.

These fish are now in the middle of their breeding season with the water at the correct temperature to assist a successful hatch.

Is it really too much to ask people to refrain from disturbing these fish for a couple of months when the future fishery is looking so promising.

There are plenty of SIP dams where you can indulge your passion and your SIP fees also help to preserve the fishery in the SIP dams.

I would suggest that you join one of the many stocking associations and do something proactive to preserve out bass fisheries.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

"Just because there are Bass in a waterway doesn't mean it's illegal to fish there. There are tarpon, yellowbelly and cod where I fish and I have caught them all (except cod) so I will continue to fish there, regardless of what you say."

Bravoboy could you please tell me how you can target these other species and not " accidentally" catch a bass?

Are you aware of the large number of bass that went over the wall during the recent wet season?

These fish are going to form the neucleus of a very good bass fishery in all freshwater streams in SEQ for years to come.

These fish are now in the middle of their breeding season with the water at the correct temperature to assist a successful hatch.

Is it really too much to ask people to refrain from disturbing these fish for a couple of months when the future fishery is looking so promising.

There are plenty of SIP dams where you can indulge your passion and your SIP fees also help to preserve the fishery in the SIP dams.

I would suggest that you join one of the many stocking associations and do something proactive to preserve out bass fisheries.

Cheers

Ray

Going on people's theories, no one can fish a freshwater tributary that holds Bass for the closed seasons? Am I right? Seeing as you can "accidentally" catch one, if that is the case then start handing out fines to the hundreds of people that fish freshwater during this period as in most cases it is below a dam, even if it is another system going off the original system below the dam wall

Yes I am aware of the fish that went over the dam wall

Don't Bass need brackish water to spawn? Why not demolish weirs then if they cant produce above them?

I am well aware of the Bass' rules and stick by them, if i'm trying to catch another fish and the Bass takes the lure that is out of my control.

If you say it interrupts breeding then why take any Bass at all if you want to eat one, why catch them in the seasons you can (pretty sure a bass taking a whole lure and getting 2 sets of trebles in their mouth will affect it later on even if released) Why do people keep any adult fish? Do they get in trouble for eating a potential breeder that could sustain the species for a longer period?

My argument is that the rules state you cannot take Bass, it does not state you cannot fish the waterway at all regardless of what species are there, or whether a Bass is accidentally taken

I think the only thing I can contribute to this discussion is that Bass pretty much dominate any freshwater environment therefore fishing for other species is a risk to catching bass. :(

At the end of the day bass are an awesome fish and the closed season was designed to assist the populations increase, which is great. I fish wld and practice catch and release and so do many of the bass fishos I know. I agree that the rules are somewhat blurred on the details but I dont care. I have put up my gear for the three months as I dont want to disturb any bass at the moment. I would be happy if others could do the same but if they dont thats their decision. :)

its only a few weeks boys, what a storm in a tea cup. go catch some bream and leave the obvious bass areas alone. if you genuinely accidently catch a bass let it go and move on. why disturb this awesome fish in its most vulnerable state,

its not that hard to steer clear of bass waters!!!

Enjoyfish1 wrote:

I think the only thing I can contribute to this discussion is that Bass pretty much dominate any freshwater environment therefore fishing for other species is a risk to catching bass. :(

At the end of the day bass are an awesome fish and the closed season was designed to assist the populations increase, which is great. I fish wld and practice catch and release and so do many of the bass fishos I know. I agree that the rules are somewhat blurred on the details but I dont care. I have put up my gear for the three months as I dont want to disturb any bass at the moment. I would be happy if others could do the same but if they dont thats their decision. :)

Exactly! I dont understand why people want to flaunt the rules beceause of a loop hole, there are lots of dams around the place if you want to catch a yella toga or silver of wich NONE are endemic to our local streams so why not just give the bass a rest and let them do there thing so we can ALL enjoy the benifits later down the track?

If you wanna catch a bass go to one of our dams wich one of our hard working FFSAQ members has worked so hard for....

fishingnut wrote:

Exactly! I dont understand why people want to flaunt the rules beceause of a loop hole, there are lots of dams around the place if you want to catch a yella toga or silver of wich NONE are endemic to our local streams so why not just give the bass a rest and let them do there thing so we can ALL enjoy the benifits later down the track?

If you wanna catch a bass go to one of our dams wich one of our hard working FFSAQ members has worked so hard for....[/quote

Right with you, fishingnut right with you! :laugh:

adambris wrote:

its only a few weeks boys, what a storm in a tea cup. go catch some bream and leave the obvious bass areas alone. if you genuinely accidently catch a bass let it go and move on. why disturb this awesome fish in its most vulnerable state,

EXACTLY mate I really struggle to see why its so hard to not target the fresh when there is soo many dams localy around that are there as a put n take fishery!

fishingnut wrote:

adambris wrote:

EXACTLY mate I really struggle to see why its so hard to not target the fresh when there is soo many dams localy around that are there as a put n take fishery!

not only that you could target bream, flathead or any other miriad of species while the bass are breeding

SO MANY PLACES to fish in brissy try fish in WA you are limited at best!

Wow, what a can of worms I opened up there.

Just for the record I'm well aware of what the rules state, and had/have no intention of 'taking' or 'attempting to take' a Bass in closed waters. I didn't really require an explanation or clarification of the rule, all I asked was: is there a fishing method that could be used to catch those other mentioned species (Yella, Cod, Toga... and for that matter Tarpon) that would not be likely to catch or be viewed as targeting Bass.

i.e. Is there a lure type or bait type that Bass don't like that these other species will take? It seems probably not, but no one really answered that question (besides maybe the bloke that suggested bread or corn for Carp and Tilapia).

Please don't patronise me by saying 'just leave the Bass alone', because that's exactly what I want to do. If there's no solution to my question then just say so, don't accuse me of trying to sneakingly do the wrong thing. If there's not an alternate method that's unlikely to catch Bass I'll just stick to the dams over winter.

And as a footnote Elops; 99% of the time I release all Bass that I catch in rivers, and would certainly release any Cod of any type that I caught.

-Steve.

I went down to Leslie Dam last weekend and caught some Yellowbelly and Silver Perch. No bass in that dam. Was good fun, and i wasn't interrupting the procreation of Australian Bass. Just my two cents. I've never caught a bass, in fact these were the first freshwater fish I've ever caught. And i would like to catch one in the future, so please, LET THEM BREED!

Cheers.

Archived