Jacobs Well 24th June

stinkyibis

Okay, I do fish often but normally i get donuts so there's nothing to post. Fellow AFO member Howie and I launched yesterday at Jacob's Well at about 6:30 am and I promised if we caught anything at all we would post a fishing report of some kind. Earlier in the week i challenged him to leave the bait at home and I would do the same, which he eagerly accepted. I was very keen to see how my new combo would go if we could get in touch with the mighty mulloway. the rod is a samaki vecton 7' 4-7kg and the reel is a daiwa caldia 3000 with 20lb black magic braid.

Anyways, we headed straight out from Jacob's Well along Kangaroo island. Along the way we saw a nice snag which Howie kindly let me have a cast at. In went the atomic hardz 38, and both of us saw the bream smack the lure as it floated up to the surface. thats when i got mega excited and ripped it hard, pulling the hooks. Rookie play. We then motored up toward crusoe island and found some nice sand flat with plenty of weed present which we anchored at to investigate. worth a cast, i had a few with the atomic hardz again but nothing, so i picked up my other lite rod rigged up with a 2" shrimp and first cast, with the shrimp hardly moving i got smacked and picked up a nice 25cm bream. Seconds later, Howie connected to a fish on his sx-40 but unfortunately it was a just undersize flathead and not the bream that we crave. It was Howie's first fish on a hardbody so it was still something of an achievement.

We then pulled up the anchor and motored to a position where we would have a good drift across more of this sandflat area, resulting in 15 min drifts followed by an arced run back to the original starting point. what ensued over the next hour and a half was basically multiple bites per cast, getting lots of bream (some which milked EVERYWHERE)on gulp 2" shrimp in the banana and peppered prawn colours but also a couple of small flathead and whiting. Howie picked up a pike as well, but got a really weird surprise when he hooked up to a giant scat on his sx-40. I called it for a trevally as soon as i saw it taking its runs, but I was disgusted almost when we pulled it up 5 mins later to reveal it was some weird fish he had never seen, presumably a scat. I personally have never seen a scat this size, but have seen them in aquariums and pet stores and im pretty sure this was what it was. Ill include a photo so if anyone can identify the mystery fish it would be appreciated.

Despite the fact the bite was definitely still on in this area, it was quickly running out of water and time to vacate. the wind and wash in some areas around kalinga bank was getting a bit fierce and we were starting to struggle a bit so we headed upstream to find some new areas for a few hours. well, with the tide running hard and sun high in the sky there's not much to tell, and we couldnt find the flathead that we so often get plagued by, although i did christen my new samaki rod with a small specimen that slammed my 6" guzzlerz jerkbait in about 1 ft as water as soon as the lure plopped down. Heading out towards gold bank we could only get a few bites, with the highlight being Howie's stiffy popper getting smacked by another just under legal flathead.

After about 2pm it got very overcast and threatened to rain, but luckily for us it held off. The wind died and with the water being calm we headed on over to similar flats area we worked before. the day ended the way it started, with the bream, whiting and flathead all keen to get in on the act, Howie pulling up a nice 30cm whiting on 2" shrimp and his personal best yellowfin bream on plastic that went 28 to the fork. We were really enjoying our fishing and ended up boating probably 40 fish, the majority being bream and flathead. Sadly, we had to leave the fish biting :(

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Great read mate! Pics or no I believe you :P

In all seriousness though if you want an easy way to resize pictures the AFO resizer that Do$stylz recomended is prob teh easiest bet.

Failing that try using photobucket although I usually discourage this as if you lose your account there all photo's go missing.

The next forum update AFO is using (due very soon) will enable members to upload multiple pictures into each post without using photobucket.

Angus

Would love to see the scat and 30cm whiting, can't seem to get bigger whiting myself, PB is about 15cm!

If you are using windows XP you could use the image resizer, download link below. Once installed just right click on a picture and select one of the preset sizes or enter a custom size.

/>http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Well done ibis good fishing report...

Like Ibis said it was a great day, as per usual the weather man was wrong in predicting a day of rain where we had barley a drop. Wind was a bit of a issue but manageable. SP's were really killing it, conistent bites all morning and arvo on the drift but like many people say..no run, no fun. This was the case during the end of the dropping tide.

Was stocked on the HB fish especially the scat or butterfish on the sx40 and flathead on the Stiffy popper. By far one of the better fishing trips.

...really struggling with these pics, i have uploaded pics before off my iphone and it was all good but not this time, not happeneing. have used the afo reizer and emailed them to my hotmail account :angry:IMG_0313_AFO.jpg

Archived