Brizzy River Schnappa

ALO

Hi Guys,

Decided to finish work early on friday arvo and took Dogpound for a session on snapper in the river. Hit the river at 3 oclock and went straight for some livies. We then headed out to the river mouth where the were some hungry little snaps on the sounder. As we dropped down some live herrings into the water column, they weren't even making it to the bottom and BANG. Off comes the line and into it. Caught 5 nice legals biggest going 45cm. Back at the ramp by 5.30pm. Gota love a quick sting!!! As it is a great time of the year for snapper, i decided i would take baybasher with me on saturday morning in the hunt for a few more. We left the ramp early in the morning and went for some more live bait. As we had netted more than enough bait, we decided to head off to the mouth again. With in the first few drops, up came a 60cm specimen of which really faught hard. We landed another 2 slightly smaller and a flatty as well. There was a good feed awaiting and thought that was enough. Left them biting for the rest of yas...

Happy days...

any tips of finding the snapper? i was on the river sunday from 11>4 and couldn't even get a bream.. all the normal spots failed - got 1 god run on a pillie but unstoppable :(

do you drive around til you see them on the sounder? or just anchor up in a hole and berley then wait?

Gday mate,

Well many fishos would agree that you could use both approaches.

I personally like to keep it simple for that style of fishing. I use a running ball sinker on a 5/0 carbon hook. The lighter the lead the better chance you have of quality fish. I love using pillies cut in half or just putting live herring on. I hardly use the anchor, infact guys like bay basher and dogpound who come out with me reguarly both know that i prefer the drifting technique. I use a lowrance x125 black and white sounder, i set the sensitivity to approx 80% and look for boomerang arches suspended from the bottom. Generally that's snapper. I like to find them in 10-15 metres of water as they give really good hard runs in that water column. I use 20-30lb leaders and find that this works well for me with minimal bustoffs. Hope that helps you guys a little.

Cheers

Alo

Archived