cold snap river fish

nadders

braved the arctic conditons last night for a late night bash around the river with one of the old crew

as usual moved around plenty to find the fish, hitting 5 or 6 different spots to put together a decent bag.

All up we got around 4 jew up to 70, 5 or 6 squire to 40, a few saltwater carp to around 30, and 4 flatties up to 55. Found most of the fish at one spot, so coulda been a quiet night if we didn't move around and look for new ground

p6300298.jpg

p6300302.jpg

p6300306.jpg

p6300307.jpg

p6300314.jpg

p6300317.jpg

p6300319.jpg

last shot is a double hookup of jew and squire, apologies for the poor quality pic

cheers

Dan

Ray,

the jew with the release weight was in 11-12m but brought up very fast, first one i've ever noticed having any floating issues, kept kicking down and coming belly up again like an inflated thready so after 10min of this decided he was a release weight candidate.

felt him kick off the handline halfway to the bottom so all good :cheer:

the picture shows how to use one anyway, good info for anyone into the c&r thready thing, in the top lip of the fish then freespooled off a handline to the bottom, sharp tug releases the fish or as usually has happened with me the fish kicks off itself

cheers

Dan

we found 2 jewies and a squire at the one spot i think you're referring to steve but the biggest producer i don't think we've fished before.

i saw a nice one on the sounder at another spot entirely but the current was nuclear too difficult to drift without something heavy

cheers

Dan

the threadies are still about, just put more effort into chasing the jew and squire.

all lures, havent owned a castnet for 6 months, and i have considered sending a vermin out with a big circle in but its really not my style, around the estuaries anyway i prefer the lures.

dave yeah its a shame when you can see they have plenty of strength and kick but too much bouyancy to overcome, the cost of keeping one on the boat is insignificant

cheers

Dan

Hey guys Awsum work there!!!I was wondering if soft plastics where the go or hardbodies in the river im new to plastics and have never caught a fish on a hardbody so any advice would help? like what size plastics how deep to run it all that kinda stuff

Cheers

Ben

i use hybrid soft/hard lures of my own making, sinking vibration type. conventional plastics and diving lures can also be used to success, theres too many different methods and styles available to give a general answer, depending on where and what, any number of styles will work

Archived