Week @ Straddy 28th June - 4th July

Angus

What a great week.

Nothing "amazing" to report. A few plans got dashed by weather and a few more by a desire to actually have a holiday. But a lot of fishing did get done.

To read about my first 2 days with dhess and our epic adventure to get on the water please refer to this thread:

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/58-open-ocean-reports/273144-just-wide-of-the-cathedrals-296

A few things I can say as the eternal optimist is that I now:

a: Know a lot more about bearings, hubs and racers.

b: Its awesome to know some locals and im happy to now know a lot more.

On the local note, for anyone visiting Straddy GO SEE CARL!

His seafood shop is in Bigoon Street. You cant miss it it is well signed. His prawns are easily the best on the island as he keeps them in a salty brine. Being an actual fisherman and not just a retailer also means he knows and is happy to part with (for those buying prawns :P ) plenty of local knowledge on whats on the bite. Tell him Angus from "around the corner" sent you as well and he will dish out more info :)

Anyway after dhess left Dad arrived for a few days and it was off to our favourite rocks and beaches.

A the risk of going into boring detail we caught a lot of whiting and dart.

The water crystal and bit of site fishing for bream was done around the rocks as well with medium success. Most fish were around the 25cm mark with one a bit bigger. A lot of whiting on the other hand were very repsectable around the solid 30cm mark. These fish also seemed to have a lot of bulk to them which was great. Weather kept me from heading down main to chase tailor and flatties regretfully.

One thing that will interest a lot of members on here is what one of the locals caught while we were there. Fishing for jew at the pin he landed a 12kg Barra! (Yes the fish was seen in the flesh although these old salts have no reason to bull, if anything he would be more inclined not to tell :P ). Only heard about this courtesy to another neghbour of ours over there Laurie. Anyway he reckons its one of 8 caught/seen from the pin area in the last 2 years! :huh:

Another little session took me Dunwich. The idea was to chase GT's from the jetty but it was not to be as there were like 30 holiday makers with the same idea.

Anyway along the rocks I went for a satisfying little session landing over 10 fish in an hour including bream, squire, tailor, cod, moses perch, tarwhine and a little baby GT :P

I wish I could say it was good to be back :P

Angus

Picture: Dad with a nice whiting.

. h2.jpg

Also want to say how massively happy I am with my Flying Fisherman polaroids.

I find it hard to get glasses I like at the best of times and usually resort to servo specials so I dont get attached.

So happy with these though.

Looking into the water is amazing, moreso than with other brands I have tried. Plus the comfort factor is massive.

There online shop is being released soon and I will be putting it up here.

Angus

FishoDave wrote:

nice work man :), i like that lured bream.

what rod is that u used on the bream? aswell as what jig head?

thanks,

Dave

Lemax Red Sword is the rod.

Jig Head was 1/8th (heavy but needed for the surf). Cant remember hook size...

Angus

Angus wrote:

FishoDave wrote:
nice work man :), i like that lured bream.

what rod is that u used on the bream? aswell as what jig head?

thanks,

Dave

Lemax Red Sword is the rod.

Jig Head was 1/8th (heavy but needed for the surf). Cant remember hook size...

Angus

cheers man :)

Flying Fisherman wrote:

Great report Angus ! Straddie looks awesome and how good are those Flying Fisherman polarized sunglasses. You don't have to say any more! B)

For sure.

Without even giving a plug I would def suggest these to other people considering the price range etc.

Tanya has already hit me up for some after trying mine on!

I look forward to calling out the names of the lucky door prize winners at Origin who win the gift vouchers.

Angus

Good to see you guys caught some fish in the surf as well.

I must say I had a go of the sunnies and was also very impressed. Really nice the way they cover your eyes and don't let stray light in from the sides.

These would also be really if you have a big head :P like me. I have a lot of trouble finding sunnies that fit well.

Thanks again to Angus and Carl.

Archived