Pin Croc

ozskippy

Headed out to the pin for the first time today to chase some of the famous pin flathead. landed this beauty about halfway through the session went 80+cm as the tape only went to 60cm. Pretty happy with myself the first decent one i have caught - over 50cm. Got it on SP 6lb braid 10lb lead on a Berkley drop shot tournament pro 2-4kg. Might have to head back there very soon GetAttachment-20100705.jpg

Very nice fish mate.

For future reference...

With fish you are going to release (as I assume this was being oversized and all) please please please support the fish's body weight by holding it under the belly as well. Holding by the jaw as so put enourmous strain on the neck of the fish resulting sometimes it the fish not surviving. Of course there is always a chance of this and well, thats fishing, but being a fantastic C & R species its in all our interest to do the best we can to ensure it goes back healthy and strong.

Dont take this as a fdig either mate. I am not one of those critics that would expect you to be a bioligist off the cuff and know the anotomy of a fish, handling procedures etc. However hopefully the next croc you catch destined to head back to the drink may recieve a little more TLC :)

Awesome catch. Much better than my PB :)

Angus

Great looking old girl there Oz. I am very jealous. Much better than my best. Everybody tells me the Pin is fished out. Obviously not :P

Angus, I agree with your comments. I was really none the wiser regarding how to hold fish before last year. You see all the shots with guys holding the fish up and you get excited and do it as well. Fortunately before I went to Monduran last year I watched a DVD on it and got the low down before it. When there we saw a couple of 1m+ Barra dead which I can only assume they where handled incorrectly. All C & R fishermen want to do the right thing and a friendly advice in the forum is gold in my opinion.

Yes definitely guys i am only just starting to get into fishing so all the info i can get to improve is greatly appreciated so thanks i will definitively get the rag out next time and support the body. Again thanks for the heads up as i am still learning. It swam off sweet so hopefully no damage. All my fish are C & R. Next on the list a threadfin glad i found that out now before i hook one of those beast - well attempt to i have haad no luck yet

Great fish, something to be very proud of.

I agree with Angus. Please, please support the fish of ALL sizes in all photo's.

Just imagine if you were held by the lower jaw only with your feet off the ground.

Me thinks it would be bloody painful.

Archived