Fishing at Straddie

sharker

Hey guys,

Im looking at going across to Stradie for a day trip to fish land based. I have never caught the flyer over and am after advice on where to go once we get there.

Also if anyone has suggestions on what to target once we're there.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Mate i fish straddy a lot.

Well have in the past.

What sort of fishing do you like?

Straddy has lots of methods and possibilities on offer.

Marrek (Stingray) is also another good man to ask as he fished the rocks there a fair bit.

But long story short, i fish Dune Rocks alot. Using live beach worms and eugaries i have caught everything from Trevally, Bream, Tarwhine, Taylor, Dart, Whiting, Morwong from these rocks.

I have also seen big Jew caught here.

Angus

Well, sounds great.

I enjoy any fishing but was thinking probably off rocks at Straddie.

These \"Dune rocks\"... can you get there from the ramp where the water taxi drops you? If so how?

I really dont mind what type of fishing but would probably be using bait rather than lures or plastics.

It has been a while but I seem to remember seeing a school of something big hanging around when leaving Straddie on a barge. I think I was on a school trip or something but (when facing back to the mainland) on the return trip they were on the left possibly between the barge and some rocks.

Is it worth a fish and are you allowed to fish there?

Cheers

You can actually catcth Tuna and stuff land based at Amity as the rainbow channel runs really close the shore.

Also plenty of other bit pelagics there.

As for Dune Rocks.

When you get off the water taxi, get a bus all the way to point lookout.

Then just walk down down to Frenchmans. Dune rocks is the little headland west of the point lookout headland. Usually safe place for rock fishermen.

Angus

Hi Sharker, I fish straddie 5-6 times a year.

I would suggest getting the water taxi that docks at the little ship club, there's normally a bus waiting as sooon as you get off.

Right hand side of the blowhole of the rocks at straddie can be quiet good, other times it can be really dead.

last time I fished there a nice school of squire was holed up.

The rock walls at amity can be good also, decent size snapper and sweetlip can be had if you can put up with the small stuff in between, and the arsh*le spear fishermen that rape and pillage the place.

My most consistent catches have been along flinders beach.

its usually well protected from the strong SE winds too.

Just look for a decent gutter anywher from the amity point end right up to home beach...a nice few hours walk.

Bigs schools of Tailor move right along here, you'll also get good bream and it produces good flathead consistently if you target them, around 6 weeks ago we were catching them literally under our feet using powerbaits and pillies.

The best part about straddie is there's always somewhere to fish, even in bad weather.

Just being there is great, fish are a bonus.

cheers

Cheers for the info mojo.

Sounds like you know Straddie pretty well.

I know what you mean. I recently went to fraser and have been to most islands in Queensland but theres something about Straddie that will always get me going back. I havnt been in nearly a year so am hoping it hasnt changed. We used to camp a couple of km's north of the bedroom but I dont know the rest of Straddie all that well.

Im not down with all the local names for places but know enough to get around.

thanks again guys

mojo wrote:

The best part about straddie is there's always somewhere to fish, even in bad weather.

Just being there is great, fish are a bonus.

cheers

Mate i think you actually just summed up my favourite part of Stradbroke Island. Nice one :)

Angus

i just got back from straddie.

there was alot of dart being cought along flinders beach and also the amity 4wd beach access here is heaps of gutters along there at low tide lots of drop offs

the rocks at amity point is good to fish to i cought a few squire along there where the jetty is but you might get alot of snags where the boat ramps are there was big schools of bait fish around there and i am 90% sure i seen tuna feeding on them

along main beach there is alot of gutters and one part of the beach you can get pippies half way between point lookout and the 4wd beach access coming from dunwich.. hey are everywhere there :) and yeah as was said earlier off the rocks at the top of point lookout there is heaps of different fish goign hrough there you can see them at times from the rocks where the blow hole is. water is so clear there.

Talked to a mate last night who was there Tuesday/Wednesday. Said he was watching a large baitfish school getting smashed just out from Cylinder. Looks like it's a good time to go.

He likes to surf but says he feels a bit spooked about it at the moment.:ohmy:

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/04/27 10:29

Archived