Bow mount leccy on a yak.

rayke1938

Had the idea for a while and could not find anything on a couple of yak sites so I have decided to give it a go.

My only worry is that the torque of the motor may tend to pull the bow down whilst under way.

Picked up a 40lb autopilot on ebay for $200 which should do the job ok. I even have a co-pilot in the shed that I may hook up to it.

If it doesnt work it will only mean that I will have to fill in some screw holes.

First job is to remove front lifting handle.

P7120090.jpg

Laid a bit of ply across the bow to find its not flat but should be able to overcome with some washers. Main high spot is where the handle was attached so will borrow wifes hair drier when she is out and see if I can flatten it a bit.

Cut out a rough outline of the ply and bolted the mount for the leccy to it and secured the whole shebang to the yak with a couple of self tappers.

This is what it looks like,

P7120091.jpg.

Looks like it will be a goer so next step will be to cut a couple of holes on the sides of the forward well so I can install a couple of inspection ports to enable to place washers under the bolts that I will use to secure the mounting ply with.

Going fishing tomorrow but continued on Wednesday as its going to be windy then.

Cheers

Ray

Good idea mate I'm doing the same to the canoe, might bring it up for origin, putting a 54lb watersnake on a detachable mount on the front, it will also keep the front down when I'm on me own.

Much easier than having to turn around all the time with the transom mount set up ??

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing a bit more to is since its successfull performance at state of origon.

8re-Copy.jpg

I have replaced temporary plywood motor base plate with an aluminium one.

I removed the ply mount and used it as a template.

P8030228640x480.jpg

Cutting on the sawbench.

P8030229640x480.jpg

I have inserted inch square ally RHS section inside the hull and screwed and tapped the mount plate to the RHS.,

P8030230640x480.jpg

I use a length of venetian blind cord to release the trip lever so I can tilt the motor in shallow water.

P8030231640x480.jpg

I have another length attached to the head or the motor to hold it fully tilted .

I have a loop in the end that I attach to my sounder to hold it up.

P8030233640x480.jpg

There is a bit of small RHS under the rear of the motor mount because I was told that I may have a problem with the autopilot hunting because the head unit is not level and the compass in it could stick.I have since replaced the rhs with rubber bushes.

P8030234640x480.jpg

I wasnt real happy with the cord and foot control getting in the way so I have now modified and fitted a co pilot to the motor.

Normally this only takes around 15 minutes but my motor is an old model and the Co pilot that I had in the shed is for a leter model with a different base and sideplates.

My sideplate is the black unit.

P8160274640x480.jpg

I removed the circuit board and wiring loom from the white side plate.

P8160272640x480.jpg

I then attached the circuit board to my black side plate. I had to modify the side plate to make room for the wiring harness.

P8160277640x480.jpg

I also had to move one of the mounting bolts as in the original position the circuit board was fouling the nut of bthe mounting bolt.

P8160278640x480.jpg

Then it was just a nmatter of unplugting the foot pedal plug and connecting up the co pilot plug.

P8160278640x480.jpg

P8160275640x480.jpg

Cheers

Ray.

Ps if you are thinking of installing a co pilot dont get it in Australia they are around $330 here and you can get them from ebay for just over $100 au including postage.

Just check what type of plug you have anything later than 2007 should have a round plug. The models prior to that with a flat plug but the same shape base and the round plug ones only take about 15 minutes to install but if its the same shape as mine it will take around an hour or so.

• 7 months later...

Bump for Robin.

I now use my 55lb i-pilot instead orf original motor and am very pleased with it.

If you want to go ahead with something similar on your yak I still have a bit of ally plate that you can have for the mount.

You are welcome if you want to try it out some time.

Cheers

Ray

I definatly prefer bow mount . When I had stern mount I kept on running over my trolling lines and then had to paddle to shore to untangle it from the prop. With the bow mount and i-pilot or a co pilot you steer and control speed by hand held remote and can tilt the motor easily. If you dont have ipilot or co pilot you use the foot control on the end of a cable as a hand control.

Cheers

Ray

What size motor would you recomend, my kayak is about 3m and weighs about 20kg with no gear, im 77kg.

I would be looking at using it to get to a location quick, but not quick so its planing.

Also what battery would you recomend, and were is the best place to get it, and how much.

I have seen a motor on ebay, but dont know if its any good.

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/40LBS-ELECTRIC-INFLATABLE-BOAT-TROLLING-MOTOR-OUTBOARD-/280609248761?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41559d55f9

If i can get a remote for it that would be great also, if not, i can always setup stearing by foot.

Also are these easy to take the head off so that i can mount the speed controller near my hand.

Thanks

Robin

• 1 year later...
I didn't know you were a Yakker Ray!!

Very occasional but will increase in frequency when I finish off the $30 trailer that I brought at the boaties market.

Be good to be able to launch it like a normal boat and not have to lift it up on the roof rack on the ute,

Cheers

Ray

Archived