Bait and Rig for Big Reds

Scope

Lazy response, I know.....

Pillies
/>http://www.fishsa.com/baitprs5.php

Squid
/>http://www.fishsa.com/baitprs4.php

Rig a sinker that is light enough to drift down slowly as the bigger ones tend to hit on the drop, so this gives them more time. Unless floatlining most guys I know use sinker on top of hook.

I am hardly an expert as I have only started seriously chasing these magnificent fish the last two trips. Last trip we got three legal ones so pretty happy with that.

I have recently done a bit of reading on the subject so am happy to share some knowledge I have picked up.

Firstly red emperor usually feed right near the bottom so a patternoster or heavy running ball sinker is best. If using a patternoster you are best using a three way swivel as patternoster knots are weak and prone to failure during an intense battle. Also you are best only having one dropper as often you will have a double hookup and lose both fish and spook the whole school. At least this is what I have read.

Heavy mono leader of around 100lbs is ideal with strong hooks arround 6/0 to 9/0. I like gamakatsu octopus circles.

Big slabs of flesh are preferred baits. Mullet, hussar and iodine bream all work well.

When fishing for them they are usually finicky biters that will generally nibble for a while and feel like rubbish fish. Be patient and feed them line before striking.

To chase these fish seriously you have to fish northwards of Rainbow Beach although a few legal ones do show up around Caloundra. 40-60m seems like an ideal depth.

As for the fight you have to turn them straight away or you will end getting bricked. They also fight hard the whole way to the surface.

8/0-10/0 hook, meter of 80lbs leader, swivel, another meter of 80lbs leader, reef bean(63g) sinker/s, swivel, mainline.

number of sinkers depends on the current.

big baits, whole yakkas, pike, mullet or tailor, stick the hook once through the bait from bottom to top,behingd the head and between the ventral fins, up between the pectoral fins and out through the top of the head

DHess that is about as good a response as anyone can ask for! :)

Thanks for the info - am heading up north (like you suggested) to stanage bay on the weekend for a week or so. Was a late call up due to someone pulling out.

JeffF - Just to clarify mate - does that mean putting on 2 swivels?? Cheers for the advice on the rig too - and to Ellicat as well.

Thanks heaps again for the in depth advice fellas. Will definitely take it all on board.

Jono

dom is on the money with the reply , but you drop 1 and forget that spot for a few hours for any chance of a good red. also if you get sharked while you have wot you think is a red on, forget that spot too, you will not get 1 to the boat, so don't try, cos your only killing magnificent fish 1 after the other. the best bait for these fish is hussar and yes red emperor! can't beat then 2 baits!

good luck with it, alsi worth a read in bush n beach, look for articles by greg lamprecht, he and his ol bot terry have fished that place all thier lives, and greg is forthcomming with imformation too. as in tell you wot baits rigs etc, but he won't give out marks, well he does but you need to know how to fish the spot as they are all fished differently, but the same! sorry to confuse ya there. but thats how it is.

Scope wrote:

DHess that is about as good a response as anyone can ask for! :)

Thanks for the info - am heading up north (like you suggested) to stanage bay on the weekend for a week or so. Was a late call up due to someone pulling out.

JeffF - Just to clarify mate - does that mean putting on 2 swivels?? Cheers for the advice on the rig too - and to Ellicat as well.

Thanks heaps again for the in depth advice fellas. Will definitely take it all on board.

Jono

Forget my advice - I thought you were talking about snapper :laugh:

Archived