Threadfin Salmon

Jonny

Hey guys been trying to fish around pinkenba for threadies. Havent had any luck, got a small threadie, small jewfish, few good size bream and a big sting ray.

Haven't tried using live bait just yet, but was wondering whats the best tide times to go for threadies?

i love the fact that everyone has given a different answer on the tides...

it depends greatly where you are fishing as to what time of the tide works best. threadfin feed by using their "whiskers" (actually called barbells) to feel for prawns, other crustaceans and small fish. they generally move up into shallower water as the tide rises and feed on flats that are often exposed at low tide (we used to sight cast them in gladstone). however, once the tide starts dropping they move back into deeper water or around the drop offs to feed. their migrations based on tide are very similar to whiting.

i have caught them on incoming and outgoing tides by positioning the boat according to where they are most likely to be. on an incoming tide i will fish shallower water, an outgoing tide i will sit on a drop off or in the deeper water.

bait - livies. based on how threadfin find their food and feed they will always outfish dead baits as they pick up on the vibrations in the water with their barbells and hone in on them.

oh and knowing all this, don't forget to bring a good dose of luck...

Archived