Alcohol Limits on the water

Old Scaley

For those who didn't see the post about towing a trailer from dan25 earlier, there is a bit of discussion later in the post about alcohol limits on the water Dassa has been told by the police that the limit for everyone is 0.05, including P plate drivers.

The MSQ website is a little less clear "The skipper must have a blood alcohol limit of less than 0.05, the same rules as on the road. The skipper is also responsible for the safety of the passengers and should be responsible for their alcohol consumption."

The first sentence says it is the same rules as the road, which would mean that P platers are 0.00. But the sentence also says that it is 0.05???

Maybe bootie can assist? Doesn't affect me because I am way outside the P plate zone, but I would hate to think that someone got pinched because the rules are not clear.

the way i would see it is that there is no P plate period for a boat licence so there is no alcohol restricions (besides the 0.05), just means if you're on your P's and had a couple of drinks on the water, you couldn't drive your boat home from the ramp until you are back at 0.00 BAC.

keep in mind i'm not a cop and i don't work for QLD transport or anything like that. also doesn't worry me as i'm a few years past the P plate stage too

i have inquired about this matter some time ago, going directly over the phone to the department of transport. my initial inquiery was that i had lost my car liscense and can i still maintaine my marine drivers liscence and the answer was yes. which i found a bit wierd because offenses such as drink driving on the water will result in loss of your car liscnese but not visa versa. i also enquired as to my required blood alchohol level on the water and was it is 0.05 across the board reguardless of you road liscense status be it green p's red p's opens or disqulified. i hope this helps. also this inquiry was made about a year ago so id give them a quick call to confirm this matter but i dont belive anything has changed yet.

jon wrote:

i have inquired about this matter some time ago, going directly over the phone to the department of transport. my initial inquiery was that i had lost my car liscense and can i still maintaine my marine drivers liscence and the answer was yes. which i found a bit wierd because offenses such as drink driving on the water will result in loss of your car liscnese but not visa versa. i also enquired as to my required blood alchohol level on the water and was it is 0.05 across the board reguardless of you road liscense status be it green p's red p's opens or disqulified. i hope this helps. also this inquiry was made about a year ago so id give them a quick call to confirm this matter but i dont belive anything has changed yet.
dammit

didn't want to quote this ahh well, ok

when ya get ya boat licence it's is just that, your able to operate just about anything, being a boat that will sit on a trailer, wheather it has 20 hp or 500 hp, a bit weird i know as boats handle very different in a number of circumstances, weight loads and water conditions, somethin i newbie boat owner has or might not yet have a grip on, but the alcohol content permissable is 0.05, as once you have your boat licence, it would seem you are an experienced skipper of the broad array of vessels available to the licencee, go figure, as there are no l or p plates for boaties, if you lose you car licence, yes you can still operate your boat, not sure bout vice versa though.

Well not exactly right there.....

Once you have obtained your recreational marine drivers licence you are able to skipper a large range of recreational and pleasure boats including those which do not fit on a trailer.

Section 79 of the TORUM Act 1995 is one of the most confusing there is, but in a nut shell if you are the holder of a RMDL then your limit is UNDER 0.05 (and yes the instrument send you to court for 0.05 on the knocker)> However we need to look at the definition of vessel as well as your limit is 0.00 if you are skippering, about to skipper, or incharge of a air cushion vessel or a Class I passanger vessel (but this does not include 'hire and drive' vessels. As for all other vessels, it is regardless of the means of propulsion, so yakers are included!

As for incharge, I think its been covered several times on here, but if your boat is not a)on a trailer B) secured to a wharf or jetty or c) on a swing mooring (which means anchored NOT using the boats anchoring system) then you are deemed to still be in charge. But I am sure discretion might play a part in each scenario.

Archived