Another jew

nadders

Quick report on a decent jewie from the other night,

getting very cold out there and a few more legals showing up, have had a pretty good run of jew this year in the ol' river :cheer:

this one christened the scorpion 1000xt, very small and light reel but had plenty of power in reserve for this fella. i'm appreciating the lighter setups as i've seen the jew a few times come up to the surface and headshake like mad, without a softer setup theres a higher chance of the hooks being shook out

anyway, cheers for reading should be getting out again

soondfdfsdfdsf.jpg

he went 76cm Brian, just over. i reckon they go harder than threadies length for length, they seem to know where they're swimming too as well

thats right dan although the setup is lighter they can be pushed fairly hard, you demonstrated that theory well with your grunter a few weeks back

Nice one Dan. Did a mid week trip with B D after getting the outboard sorted.

Bloody cold and suffering from sleep deprivation but managed a couple, finally broke the run of bad luck. Forgot to add got 2 River Perch 30 cm on a Junior.

B D the other Beau.

Jewies 2 at 72 77 for me. 76 81 for B all one after another in the same spot, switched them off with the tag and release. Got a few hits from the Perch. Motor was just low oil ha ha silly me had not checked the oil tank. Good job the 24 volt motorguide is good for a few k's at a reasonable speed.

cheers

Steve.

its a japan domestic model, not offered by shimano australia. I chose it because i've owned one in a larger size previously and was happy with it, the specs are great and it has the same spool and casting ability of a shimano aldebaran which are very good at casting light weight lures

the reel is proving to be a little powerhouse, for the size of lures it can cast (smallest i really go are diving minnows in the 60mm range) the cranking power and drag output is very surprising, not to mention its very comfy to hold and use

cheers

Dan

hey mate nice jewie went out to the mouth with a couple of mates on sunday and did a few drifts past a big jetty/ loading pier then decided to anchor up. within 5 mins of anchoring one of the boys pulled up a 72cm jewie it was unreal fished a few hours after that for a small threadfin (20 cm) lol and about 5 squire! we were stoked :D also we caught everything on bait just wondering where i could get some f those glowing lures or did u say that u made them ? if not what type are they ? im thinking about giving them a crack so any advive would b handy

nadders wrote:

nice one mate,

you are correct in that I make them, let me know your email and I'll sort you out.

cheers

Dan

Dan are you limited to the light colors?

As effective as they are, you could make some nice naturals, like something in trout,sardine or semi opaque browns and flecked reds.

Obviously the old adage of the lure hooks the fisherman not the fish is true, but I

was just curious.

Cheers

not necessarily limited to the lighter colours, but one thing to consider is the effect of camera flash on what you see-

the lighter colours are designed to be fairly natural prawn/baitfish tones, the pearls are more silvery/shimmering in person than on film, and in alot of photos all the colours look pretty well white. the translucent/flecked colours suffer the same problem, they look quite natural in the water however the camera turns them bright white

show you an example,

p7230456.jpg

this is a translucent gold fleck in the camera light(which is the glow colour incidentally)

just looks pretty bland plain white in that photo, but with better photography you can see the gold flecks coming through and looks a little less bland.

p7270482.jpg

Pearl white is a good example too, looks flat and boring in alot of fish photos (like the jew at the start of the thread) due to flash angles/distance but in a better photo the natural silver/baitfish colours are more visible;

p7270489.jpg

I have done some darker colours in the past but the lighter colours have always done a bit better popularity wise. Always possible to create new colours though

cheers

Dan

Yeah the top example looks the goods, nice holo flecks.

Taking the chance of giving you a shameless plug I would say these fellas might be worth a flick of the end or Brunswick heads break wall.

Seen plenty of people using large 10 inch bomber style lure with no luck, just wonder how these lure would fare.

It is the time of year for the large Jew down there.

Cheers

Archived