First Proper Bay Trip :D

blue_mako

Headed out from the river at around 5am yesterday morning for my first bay trip with lures. Thanks Johnny. Hoping for my first Squire on artificials and maybe a Mack or Tuna if we were lucky. Arrived at Mud at around 5:30 to find a couple of boats already there and we began our first drift.

Put on a Lime Tiger Fry, 1st drop got smashed for no hook up. 2nd drop hooked up to my first lure caught Squire a little over the 30cm mark. A much better fight then a Bream the same size that's for sure.

Got some more fish on the Fry before switching to a Nuclear Chicken Baby Shrimp. Had a couple of casts for a few hits but no hook up. Put out a long cast with the Shrimp, it was in the water for no more then a second before a massive surface take, splash and swirl. The fish obviosly didn't know what it had just eaten and swam towards the boat, once I picked up the slack it went ballistic with a solid buzzing run and the expected happened, tink. Bugger, bloody Macks! Oh well that's what you can expect with 6lb PE main 10lb Hybrid leader.

Had a few more drifts for a few more hits and a 40cm Bar Tail Flatty just as the sun came up before I switched to a 3inch Craw in Camo to see if they wanted a lure a bit less out there.

Berty and Johnny caught a couple of Squire on 4inch Pink Lemonade Realistix and and Gulp something, can't remember completely. Johnny seemed to be at the bad fish end of the boat catching fish with a name that I will not say completely, but they began with a G and ended in rinner.

Also managed to pull my first Sweetlip up at 29cm and Tuskie just under legal also. Headed over to the south rockwall for some good Bream before we headed back to the reclaimed rockwall at the mouth of the Brisbane River. Johnny scored a Pike on an SX40 that he still had on after the Bream. We had got a few good missed hits and by now it was about 11am. It was hot and the sun was up and we were fishing in less then 3m of water for Snapper. Just about to head off and Johnny had the motor started. I was just about to reel in after just casting out my Craw, got absoluted pwned on the drop pwned harder then any other pwnages I had got that day. I thought I missed the fish but it was just swimming towards me like the Mack. Picked up the slack and struck hard, very hard. I was sick of striking on the Squire, then a few seconds later they'd just let go of the lure as if it didn't even have a hook.

The GLX Dropshot registered 2 big thumps before the Sol 2000 screamed with 6lb peeling off at an extreme rate. On the first run it went straight for the rock wall and I wasn't quite sure what it was. Then it swam quickly towards me so I called it for a Thready as just about every one I've caught has done the same. It then continued on it's trip back out to the bay and we motored after the bugger. After 3 or so blasting runs a solid Snapper surfaced. For a second it looked like a big Flattie, don't know how or why I thought it was a Flattie but I was a bit disappointed before I got a good look at him.

Berty got in a perfect net job and a nice 66cm Snap was landed. Got him on the carpet and the jighead just fell out and he spat out the Craw, fish really do eat it!

We then headed around the Sunken wall where I scored another legal Flattie and lost a bigger one. Johnny also landed a Flathead who thought he was a Tarpon with a double backflip to a 10 point dive.

All up it was an awesome day for me, apparently a bit slow for Johnny's Bay standards but I loved it. Got a good mix of species as well. Pike, Grinner, Bar Tailed Flatties, Dusky Flatties, Bream, Sweetlip, Tuskies, Squirie Snapper, hooked a Mack and saw a lot of Tuna action.

Can't wait to do it again and go the Craw. Lessons learnt were that drinking the night before does effect your fishing performance and only use strong sharp jigheads and hooks. That Bassmaster head came back very deformed after the big Snap and it will be kept for some time. Pics to come.

Troy

Angus: I met Johnny at North Pine and have fished with him at the dam a couple of times now. He swaped the Sol and Megabass rod for my Aspires and part of the deal was for him to take me out bay fishing :P .

James: The big fella was hooked on the drop, probably in the top half of the water column so you can tell why I was so surprised. Apart from that pretty much every other fish was pulled from bottom bouncing, except that Mack ;) .

Troy

Cowfish: Yeah I got a good look at the Mack when he hit the plastic. He pretty much jumped out to get the bloody thing! :P . It looked big as well, making the 70-80cm mark very easily, probably bigger but I just don't want to over exagurate ;):P .

For the reefies at Mud we were fishing in water anywhere from about 7/8m depth down to about 4.5/5m. When we were fishing for the Bream up against that wall on the southern end of Mud our lures where only in water about a foot deep.

But yes, we were fishing in 3m of water at the rockwall at the River mouth.

Troy

Archived