night time lure flick at redland bay

slippery

the other night i went for a bit of a fish trying out some of those big eye blades. I was casting out past some pylons and within about 10 minutes i was onto something. Whatever was fighting on the other end wasn't big, but put up a decent fight for a small fish. seconds later i pulled from the water what i think is a juvenile threadfin salmon. It is hard to see in the photograph but it does have the little whiskers hanging under its gills. Correct me if i'm wrong, and if it is a thready is this unusual to find in redland bay? I continued fishing for about 15 more minutes after and caught one more which looked to be the same, but about twice the size, but was foul hooked and broke free by the shore. Photo188.jpg

I've caught juvenile Threadies from the shores of Hope Island on local prawns, so they are definatley there. Me and old mate caught 3 in one session, one of which decided it wanted to get airbourne. Fun stuff

Good on ya mate, it's always a buzz to get em, no matter what the size

id back putty nose perch, a count of the whiskers on either side will confirm but hard to see the whiskers from the photo.

king threadies (polynemus macrochir) have 4-5 filaments each side which are quite long (they reach back further than the pectoral fin when laid flat)

whereas the puttynose (polydactylus multiradiatus) has 7-8 filaments each fin and they do not reach back as far as the pectoral fin when laid flat

based on location far more likely a puttynose but there are a few kings getting around the logan as well

cheers

Dan

One of the more common IDs that appears on this site.

Yeah can understand the confusion but based on past cases of this id have to agree with the guys that its not a threaddy.

Ill take nadders for his putty nose perch id. I always thought the putty nose were those mini jew look a like? Or are they just river perch?

Cheers

Angus

damn :( ahhh well at least i now know what i was. do they grow very big? and is grants guide to fish the best book to get for fish id? I have been catching a few weird fish lately that i cannot id. I got it casting past the pylons by the redland bay boat ramp. Thanks for the id, i've only just started using lures and Softies.

slippery wrote:

damn :( ahhh well at least i now know what i was. do they grow very big? and is grants guide to fish the best book to get for fish id? I have been catching a few weird fish lately that i cannot id. I got it casting past the pylons by the redland bay boat ramp. Thanks for the id, i've only just started using lures and Softies.

Yes. Grant's is considered the Bible.

Archived