Tugger Rock - 5 August 2010

kreel

It was a promising start to the day - there I was, onboard with Tugger and our new deckie David88 and all I'd forgotten was my sunnies, cap and sunscreen - should be a good day. We headed to our favourite spot - Boat Rock henceforth to be know as Tugger Rock.

The seas were calm and the bar was gentle enough so the trip out was a pleasant time to catch up on stories about the State of Origin trip and to learn about David88. He's a young fella and a nice bloke and a pleasure to fish with. He tells us he's had no sleep after a late shift the night before and he's racing to work after we get back in for another late night followed tomorrow by an early morning charter down at the Gold Coast. That's all well and good Dave but we do still expect a report on the Goldie charter.

Arriving at Tugger Rock and you just can't take a bad photo of it.

[br] P1000386.jpg

We arrived at around 8am and were onto fish pretty quickly, I pulled in the first fish - an undersized squire. Then the young fella decided to show us old blokes what a fish should look like. This one went around the 50 mark - in fact all but 1 of our Snapper were between 40 and 53 cm.

[br] P1000389.jpg

Dave wasn't intimidated and pulled this beauty in - nice bump. We pulled in 10 Snapper in about an hour - Tugg had bagged out with 5, I managed 3 and Dave had 2 beauties aboard. I put a hex on the morning predicting that at this rate we'd be pulling stumps and heading in before midday. Obviously no more fish for most of the morning.

[br] P1000393.jpg

We noticed up to this stage we'd only managed to catch Snapper and 1 trevally (that was swimming happily out the back on some heavy line under a balloon). We also noticed that since anchoring close to Tugg Rock we drifted quite a distance - so up with the pick and reposition pretty much on top of the Rock.

[br] P1000397.jpg

As Tugg's old mate Bluey would say "if you're not catching fish - change things up and try something new". With the new position came new species and I got a brute on the line after a very satisfying fight up came a Spangled Emperor at a fraction under 61cm.

[br] P1000402.jpg

Through the day I had some monsters on the hook, one earlier on had me sweating and groaning for about 4 or 5 minutes before throwing the hook. So when I managed another back-breaker on the line I was determined to get it to the surface. The crew went into monster mode and the fight was on, the deck was cleared, net in Tugg's hands and camera at the ready with Dave. The fight was fun but when we got colour and we could make out the shape - net was thrown down in disgust, camera put away and I was left to try to get my hook back from a huge eagle ray - how disappointing. It proved to be a source of great amusement to Tugg and Dave who had a good laugh at my expense.

Here's all that was left of the hook.

[br] P1000404.jpg

:woohoo: Those Eagle rays are good eating; Tugger must've been over the moon....well maybe if he was a shark :laugh:

Another ripper day...great to see :)

PS That's a great shot of the spangled emperor - almost magazine cover worthy...just a change of heads maybe (perhaps you know who lol)

Would make a good avatar too - maybe with Mao Tse Potter's head ...

kreel wrote:

Davo_Dinkum wrote:
PS : kreel u stink :P

Does this mean you don't love me any more?

BTW I left this just in case anyone was in any doubt.

[br] P1000397_flagged.jpg

hahaha nice :)

yeah i sill luv u kreel ,i'm just a bit envious of your boat rock trips out.

if i didn't win your lucky door prizes then i would be jealous ,hehehe.

Gotta say, bloody awesome day with two top blokes!

Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to feel a solid bend in the rod, shoulda seen it when Kreel was getting reefed by a monster! Definately an unstoppable. First time I've seen a whale as well, thanks again guys.

I will do a report on the charter but it was pretty lame compared to Tugger Rock.

Just a couple of Tailor, one bonito and a decent snap around 45cm. Funny thing was the only one that caught legal fish :P

Full report coming soon, just gotta get the pics off my mate.

Cheers fellas, and may your bait be nervous!

Archived