Yesterdays efforts

Zim man

yesterday Khoi and i went down to throw a few lures, namely the new crackjacks and some plastics. The day started off with us visiting the usual spots and picking up the odd fish. There were lots of pike around so the dreaded donuts were avoided.

Whilst i was changing lures, we drifted off from some sturcture that we were fishing and Khoi hooked up to a nice bream. Khoi caught in the new crackjack 38mm. A little while later he is catches another two in quick succession.

khoibigbream1.jpg

khoibigbream2.jpg

khoibigbream3.jpg

khoibigbream4.jpg

I landed a smallish bream on an armor shad. it was a cool strike and we watched it follow the lure to the boat and when i gave it slack to let the plastic sink, the bream nailed it. it was pretty cool to watch.

Along our travels we fell under the watchful eye of a vicious guard dog.

babydog.jpg

We then went an tried a few new spots but that only yielded 1 fish and a few follow ins. At this stage Khoi was breaking the golden rule and was beating me 9 fish to 7. We went upstream and picked up a couple more fish as the tide was starting to turn. i picked up a nice bream that fought well with the current on its side. when we left this spot i was back in command at 11 to 9.

crackjackbream381.jpg

crackjackflathead.jpg

Khoi dropped a massive fish which we called for a flathead. We then we to another spot that yielded one more bream on a crackjack. we were working a standard looking bank when my cast was nailed in the shallow (less than a foot deep) and there was this massive commtion, i thought it was a massive eel as i could make out dark and light colours when it was thrashing around. then it took off for deeper water. My rod was loaded to the max plus one.

robstingray.jpg

robstingray1.jpg

robstingray2.jpg

robstingray4.jpg

Khoi took a small video of the fight, man what a fight it was. It turned out to be a ray, the type of which eludes me. The crackjack hooks stuck him on the side near his eyes and i tried to pull them out without breaking the line (6 lb braid, 5lb leader) but they were in pretty solid. Not wanting to lose the lure (only colour i have at the moment) i put a bit more pressure and luckliy the hooks pulled out but to their credit they were good to go again and still sharp. Pretty happy with how my gear handled it and on my new leader knot tha i started using as well.

[video type=youtube]An6B3SFcN20

We made our way back to leave and picked up a couple more fish in a small stretch of bank. The gods smiled on me as i narrowly pipped Khoi 14 fish to 13.

thanks to khoi for making it out and yeah it was a good day to be out.

we caught fish on armor shads, monster miki, MU-Sp and alot of crackjack 38mm

thanks for reading

rob

What leader knot have you been using lately? Slim Beauty, Allbright or maybe something left field.

All the experts say they are easy to tie, I can almost garuatee they haven't tried to change them sitting in a yak under a bridge getting smashed by the pillers :blink: .

Great days fishing by the photos, I have been sitting in the office all day cursing work, not being out enjoying the weather on the water. That will all change tonight when I win the lotto ;) .

Thanks for taking me out again yesterday Rob was an awsome day..

I should have just left all my gear at home because all i did was steal one of Rob's lightest outfits and cast it all day long! 2-6lb rob w/ 1000 size reel and 3lb braid is ridiculous fun!

On the way home we picked up something like 4 flatties in the last 20 minutes.. just rolling the hardbodies over the edges of drop-offs and they were climbing on good and proper!

Crackjack 38mm used all day long - the bigger size hardbody didnt get any touches so downsized and caught plenty of fish; a lot on the troll too!

Also - droppped two good fish both flatties (obvious headshakes); first one crushed a treble which was later removed and i fished the same lure with a double and a treble - didnt inhibit catch rate at all =]

and jsut before we went home lost a 50cm at the net but all good

billp wrote:

What leader knot have you been using lately? Slim Beauty, Allbright or maybe something left field.

All the experts say they are easy to tie, I can almost garuatee they haven't tried to change them sitting in a yak under a bridge getting smashed by the pillers :blink: .

Great days fishing by the photos, I have been sitting in the office all day cursing work, not being out enjoying the weather on the water. That will all change tonight when I win the lotto ;) .

the knot is called a seaguar knot i think. it is way easy to tie, takes like 5 seconds. I dont like the others too much.

/>http://www.seaguar.com/seaguar-community/seaguar-knot.htm

it was a good day out. thanks khoi for coming out as well

Jeff i have was originally worried about it as i usually have a leader of 2-3 metres, but i have had no problems at all and have not noticed any difference at all. it actually is pretty small when done with the 6lb line and 5 lb leader. Khoi was using my other setup that has 3lb braid and 5 lb leader and was not having any issues either.

cheers

rob

Archived