Dinner Report

Doobsy

Dinner was great so I thought I'd share how my Sunday night's sup came to be.

We hit the 'pin at the usual time of around 6am Saturday morn as the sun was beginning to poke its' rays above the horizon and everyone else was having a little sleep-in before doing their duty and heading off to their local polling booths.

We by-passed our favourite little sand-flat off the channel to try our luck at the hit n' miss rock wall we enjoy so much as it's a bit of a lucky dip.

To make things even more fun and keep the healthy competition that is par for the course between the Skip and I, we were both rigged up with the same brand of SP's but in differing sizes and colours.

First cast of the day and it's struck! Skip's in and his dinner is sorted...

4915048501_21e85f8bb5_z.jpg

I was impressed as one would be but the reminder that it was on the first cast and I hadn't felt but a hit as yet was helping to get my day off on a bit of a rocky start...

We quietly approached one of our favourite little holes and we were hopping our respective choices of lure off the bottom. We both had hits, hooked up and lost 'em...

Adhering to the same technique, I hooked up again and was gonna land it for sure. I called it for another flattie. It had some good weight and it would take some finesse to bring it boatside. A couple of runs, a little tighten of the drag, a little raise of the stick and the lure was pulled for the second time in 5 mins... The skip suggested quite nonchalantly that I may like to re-tie... I had rigged it underneath and between the top two guides... Great, two lost fish that were due pretty much purely to some sloppy rigging the night before.

After re-rigging and getting my lure back in the water and to the bottom, I flicked my bail-arm to start the retrieve and realised I was on!

Some nice little runs in a decent amount of depth including some erratic head-shakes and I called it for a decent bream. As I got it closer to the surface, the sun caught some colour and it was pink! A decent little squire (compared to the rats we've caught nearby previously) was landed, measured at 37cm and popped in the esky for dinner. I was pretty stoked as the season is coming to a close and I haven't caught one since the MBC. It had some great colour in the sunlight.

4915048775_bfb23e06fd_z.jpg

4915653510_7a27214e5c_z.jpg

After that, the skip was a little more quiet and we started to troll some still areas looking for something on the sounder in some still pockets as there was still not much action on the water in terms of traffic and he started to throw out a popper.

A couple of retrieves, then on the third... Big swirl behind... Pop... Pop... Smash! He's on! I threw a couple in the mix once one beast is landed and I'm on as well. We enjoy some chopper action for a few minutes with some good hits, a couple of severed leaders and 3 good tailor in total landed.

Sweresy with the biggest (just) and I got a picture with one...

4915048649_e91bf8405f_z.jpg

After a little while longer of empty casts, we headed for home with the intent of drifting along our favourite channel. We threw some around but the WSWesterly was picking right up and we weren't having any more fun so we canned it with some tailor, a flattie for the skipper and a squire for the deckie for Sunday's dinner.

Should've taken a picture but I didn't have lunch today and was starving so I smashed it. Nothing beats fresh fish that you caught yourself.

Cheers..

Archived