Bribie Monster Lizard - Thursday 26 August

MulletMusketeer

Thursday morning did not look that promising with gusty, cold, westerly winds. I decided to fish at Bribie as you can usually find some reasonably sheltered spots by swapping from one side of the Pumicestone Passage to the other, if necessary.

It was a late start and I waded out in to the water just to the south of the old Oyster Jetty at around 9.30 am. High tide was at around 10.00 am, so the tidal flow had almost stopped. There a couple of good drains in this location that often produce a few Flathead. However to maximise my chances I knew I really had to wait for the tide to start running out. The water was probably the coldest I have felt all year. I flicked various shrimp and minnow soft plastics around on a 1/6th 1/0 jighead. I didn’t get a touch for more than hour. I was so cold I retreated to the car for more clothes. I went out again this time to the north of the old oyster jetty. I was wading back towards the bridge, about 4 metres from the edge of the mangroves. I put on a fresh GULP 3†minnow in the Pearl Watermelon colour and cast it out towards the bridge at a 45 degree angle to the shore. I jerked it a couple of times and then felt the plastic stick. There are a few rocks on the bottom in this area and I thought I had snagged the line on one. As I lifted the rod to try and jerk the jighead free, it slowly started to come towards me. Then suddenly the line started peeling in a long, slow, deliberate rhythm. I knew it was a good size lizard. I started to wind and apply some pressure with no result. I thought the drag might have been set to light so I checked it, but it was good. I gradually tightened it and got a bit of line back, but the fish took off again. We went back and forth for a while like this – perhaps for 5 minutes or so. Big flathead can’t be rushed but they will eventually just saw through you leader, so you have decide on a plan pretty fast. I had a 12lb leader on but I was using my very light 6’6 Loomis GL2 spin rod so there was no way to force the pace. I just had to wear the fish out and keep her away from the mangroves and rocks. I gradually steered her towards a small gap in the mangroves and shortened the line down to about 3 metres. I then walked backwards, towards the gap, tightened the drag some more and in one long sweep, heaved her up onto the sand. The leader broke as I did that but fortunately, not until the fish was metre clear of the water.

It was a beautiful fish that measured in at 78cm. I took a few pictures and then sent her on her way. I cast around for a bit longer in the same area without a touch. I ended up fishing for 4 hours and apart from the monster flathead, I got no bites at all. The Pike, Bream and everything else just failed to show up. May it was the wind – maybe the water temperature – who knows?

Follow Mullet Musketeer - the Landangler at http://landangler.wordpress.com/ 78_CM_BRIBIE_FLATHEAD_AUG_2010.JPG

nice lizard mate,i clicked on the link above the pic and seen your other pics,bummer if you didnt take a pic of you holding it,could have been a winner of FOTM :blush:

i too thought she looked abit dry,but there could be reasons behind this :unsure:

as the other pics in the link shows she looks healthy, wet and slimey

i just hope that after the snapshots and being released she fully recovered from her ordeal and hoped that she got to live another day..

congrats on the catch though mate,she would have had your adrenaline pumping B)

ooh didn't mean to start anything, I mean we have had some funny pics in here, so I guess there is always a comment or two that will be raised concerning certain practices.

I really couldn't call the fish for alive or dead, and there is no reason why it would not be alive it just looks a bit dead that's all.

It is just good practice to keep the fish's scales wet.

Cheers on the pic

I hear all the the talk about catch and release and I appreciate that I let go all Lizards over 70cm but it close and if keep I hope it was a good feed, still taste nice close to to the limit.

No need to question fello fishos though, I reckon it was releasedf with plenty of breeding left in her.

Good lines - Again nice fish you set the challenge for August - I have four days to match - do not like my chances? :P

It did take a few mins to get her onto the mat, photographed and measured (always tricky from the shore) but I like to keep records on the bigger ones - I try not to move them too much and just slosh a bit of water over them, but it was fairly windy. She swam off ok. Sorry no pics of me holding the fish - you might not be able to distinguish who's who and I don't want to scare off any of the youngsters!

Archived