Platypus in operahouse trap.

elops

To be honest I acknowledge that everyday I see a photo thats been staged by the media.

My reason for either accepting and even condoning this, or outright being pissed off changes though.

In this case, I would not have problem if they staged this if photo IF there had been a number of dead platypus turn up recently in traps. I can accept that the journo recieved substatiated reports and could not actually be there to witness the site as lets face it, who would keep one around for photo sake.

However, if there had in fact been no actual reports of this and it was purely hippy greeny rubbish concocted by none other than Scarlett Moonshine herself, than obviously it would irritate.

As I do not know which is the case in this instance I choose to sit on the fence regarding my opinion concering this image :)

Angus

Heres a pic from Widlife preservation society QLD website from 2 years ago.

The trap in the pic is not an operahouse trap it is one of those small rectangular soft entrance traps.

Illegal to use in freshwater. The only pic with evidence of dead platypi, also some turtles, the trap had obviously been in the water for some time.Info and regulations should be mandatory at point of sale.As an aside crab pots should be fitted with excusion rings IMO those cheap rectangular crab pots are death traps for marine turtles much the same as soft entrance traps are for freshwater turtles. yabbytraps.jpg

any trap is a hazard to native wild life.

as a kid I remember releasing 2 13lb (male and female) cod from a large home made trap simply left in the river.

So regular checks and responsible ownership.

I will go out on a limb here and state that platypus are far from endangered.

I think there will need to be more proof than a live platypus in a trap photo.

IMO we need to see evidence, not lingo bingo.

cheers

Archived