Upper Brisbane river, 5th September.

Ash

Had quick yak and fish this morn. Such an awesome section of the river, shame I got rained out.

Got down to kholo bridge about 530. I love living so close to the fresh now.

Started throwing around my new Yowies, automatically loving the way they swim. Found a nice snag, one of many, second cast got a massive hit and a lungie starts jumping out of the water. Awesome sight, but then it threw the hook. Further up at another snag, throw the yowie under a mini over hang, bang I'm on, nothing big, but beauty bass.

Had to run from the rain in the end, but always happy with landing a fish in a new spot!

Pics to follow,

Cheers,

Ash

I do not know a lot about Lungfish but your one took a lure and jumped out of the water?

They look pretty sluggish, I never though they where so agile. :cheer:

Do they really have a lung instead of gills?

Pretty amazing really when you look at them, their fins look like legs too.

cheers

Edit just got this from the net.

The lungs

Queensland Lungfishes have a single lung which is only used for breathing on rare occasions. Most breathing is done with gills, no differently from other fishes. In fact, if removed from water they will die within two days. The lungs appear to supplement the oxygen supplied by the gills in certain difficult situations, such as when levels of oxygen in the water are low during drought.

hooked_on_trout wrote:

I do not know a lot about Lungfish but your one took a lure and jumped out of the water?

They look pretty sluggish, I never though they where so agile. :cheer:

Do they really have a lung instead of gills?

Pretty amazing really when you look at them, their fins look like legs too.

cheers

Edit just got this from the net.

The lungs

Queensland Lungfishes have a single lung which is only used for breathing on rare occasions. Most breathing is done with gills, no differently from other fishes. In fact, if removed from water they will die within two days. The lungs appear to supplement the oxygen supplied by the gills in certain difficult situations, such as when levels of oxygen in the water are low during drought.

Mate I have only hooked one and it jumped and lept like crazy. This was when I was way younger and knew nothing about what was in the area I was fishing and thought when it first jumped I must have a caught a huge Toga!!

Nice one Ash mate good to see you getting out there!

Angus

Archived