small outboard

Aaron H

Aaron - come and get more foryour Lenthals trip this weekend. It's a little 4hp Yammy 2 stroke.

I used it at Lenthals when I was there, used it to get from A to B and as back up.

It should push your tinny OK if it pushed the cannon ball.

If you want it, let me know and ring me tomorrow.

Thanks a lot Brian, but got this weekend covered mate, got my mates 4hp that he brought to Borumba, still on the back. You got your Yammy off ebay for a steal didn't you. Not much on there at the moment but will keep my eyes open on there.

Good you got it sorted for this weekend.

Yeap - EBay $500,used twice, still in the box.

Does me good in the Albert against the tide BUT the shaft is too short for the hull. I can only get half throttle before it revs out. I am thinking about putting a bigger prop on it.

Anyway my advise buy a name brand and remember that rego is required over 4hp.

Aaron

It should start first or second pull by the bloke who is selling it (he should be used to it)

It should pump lots of water

The prop should be clean of any dents cuts or broken bits *or ask for $80 off asking price if it needs a new one) paint off it is fine, but thats all.

If 4hp, does it have reverse? if not will the tell tail pump water into your boat when you spin the motor around to go backwards (have to guestimate that). Try and get one with reverse, the neutral and forward only ones are a pain in the but.

Check the serial number against the claimed age and size if possible (there are charts available from most manufacturers where you can tell from the serial numbers)

Does it run and rev smoothly

Does it blow excessive smoke (or any smoke if 4 stroke)

Does it go in and out of gear easily

Let it idle for 5 minutes, does it stall, chug or run rough (may only be a tuning issue, or it may not, sometimes engines that have corrosion problems will show up as a rough idle first)

Is it short shaft or long shaft? Will it fit your boat, can it be spaced to fit? (Sometime a long shaft motor can be spaced up off the transom slightly to help the motor fit better, but a short shaft that is to short will not run properly.

Ideally the little plate just above the propeller should be level with , or slightly below the bottom of your boat when the engine is mounted. So measure from the top of your transom to the bottom of the boat. Check this measurement against the top of the mounting area on the motor to the little plate as mentioned.

Is there any signs of leaks around the gearbox area?

Does it have a service history? Has the impeller been changed in the last couple of years?

Search the forums such as Marine Engine.com

http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

To see if there are any known problems with the various motors you can look for.

Why is the owner selling it?

Or you could be like me when Ray told me about mine being advertised - how much ? ok go buy it for me!

Also if you look around you can find out which ones easily modify to higher horsepower by removal of restriction plates or changing carbies, should you be son inclined without telling \"the man\"

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/01 22:21

Also pull the BOTTOM drain plug in the gearbox make certain its not the shift pivot pin.

A small ammount of oil should run out.

If its clear is ok, if its black and smells needs changing, if its white means that its leaking and water has contaminated the oil.

It may only need new seals usually under $40 but if shaft is worn will be a lot more.

Also smear a trace of oil on a sheet of white paper and check for metal pieces. Gold colour means worn bushes.

Ray

Hey Daz I paid $500 on ebay about 3 months ago and it as still in the box. I bought it for lenthals and used it there twice. I also used it in the Albert for about an hour. New price is about $1200 so $500 is far price.

Big jump Aaron - yeap - the cannon ball is rated to 25hp so I am thinking I might get one of them and use the rig in the rivers and dams.

Then I thinking I might sell the cruis craft and get one of the Avior 6 metre Boats from John Crawford Marine. See home page of this site.

No preasure to sell the motor so I sugget you try it out first and if it fits great. I know it worked well in the Albert on my 3.95 tinnie so it should be good for yours.

Archived