shimano jewel vs raider vs ?

Joel Eadie

hey guys im in the process of saving for a new rod and reel mainly for the brissy river for when i start uni next year

ive decided on the curado 200e7 which im gonna run 15lb braid on (tell me you think this is too light for jewies and threadies), but stuck on what rod to get

i think i have narrowed it down to two rods but open to suggestions. shimano makes to rods priced pretty close together, the jewel ($160) which annaconda has and the raider ($140) which bcf has.

a main difference is length, the raider is 7 foot and the jewel is not quite six, im gonna be land based chucking lures and baits, will i get enough distance with the jewel?

does anyone know the difference between these rods? or does anyone have a suggestion of an alternative rod? i am willing to concider seccond hand rods if anyone has one

thanks

Old Scaley wrote:

Haven't used either. the jewel looks pretty, but if you are landbased you might get some extra casting distance from the longer rod and it might help you to shift the fish around snags?

i guess it might come down to functionality over looks. the extra foot would be handy but the green/purple jewel would look awesome when mounted with the green curado :cheer:. i get a staff discount on the jewel though so it's a though desision.

hi mate, the shimano raider is only $119 at the tackle warehouse. Both very nice rods, im sure the raider is slightly more heavier in weight though...

I have the rack raider and its the lighter rod out of the raider range IMO, perfect for flicking lures. Very happy with the raider, but have also recently purchased the shimano catana... highly recommend it.

taib wrote:

hi mate, the shimano raider is only $119 at the tackle warehouse. Both very nice rods, im sure the raider is slightly more heavier in weight though...

I have the rack raider and its the lighter rod out of the raider range IMO, perfect for flicking lures. Very happy with the raider, but have also recently purchased the shimano catana... highly recommend it.

i think your right about the weight, also the jewel has a nicer reel seat IMO. thanks for the price at the warehouse ill keep that in mind if i go that way

i did concider a catana at one stage but the price tag of $60 scared me off a bit, but it leads me to the question of what does one gain from buying a more expsive rod other then weight loss and more aestically appealing rods??? im not talking carbon vs glass, rather carbon vs high end carbon?

a reel has obvious benifits but the rod not so much?

Hey Joel,

Don't let the price of the Catana scare you... That was my first rod for flicking plastics coupled with a Sienna reel loaded with 6lb Fireline and it has never let me down, catching snapper, tuna and yellas to name a few, it's a great rod.

Having said that though I'm ready to upgrade and have arranged a Jewel through my mate Don at Sandgate Tackleworld.

Brett

Bri The Pom wrote:

Joel,

I have a few raiders and cant fault them certanly for the 140 or even 120 when on special at bcf.They do a good range 2-5,3-6 and 4-7.

Which one are you thinking of.

I;ve owned two raider IIs myself, one being the bream finnesse edition, the other the barra BC. The bream finnesse was a great rod, loved the cork grips and the overall finish. However, was prone to wind knots around the eyes when using light braid.

The heavier one I sold relatively quickly, it had the action of a broomstick (to me, anyway) :laugh:

For the price though, I can't really fault them. My bream raider landed a 4-5Kg stingray out of the canals at Caloundra, thought he was a whiting moving off with my live nipper. Plenty of power in the butt, and really sensitive

The catana is not so great, I had one once and it snapped it half, I forget how I snapped it but I remember thinking, wow that's a crap rod.

No offense to 'freshy' its only my personal opinion, you have to check out all options.

Also You would probably want a 7 ft rod for land based casting.

I have a 6ft land based rod though and it's ok, but if it is distance you want then go 7ft.

Distance is good when fishing around shallow sand bars and you want to get it out in a hole or channel, or if your casting plastics for flathead and you want to cover extra ground.

In saying that most of my best land based fish have been caught within 15 meters of the bank, but its nice to have the extra distance when needed.

I would use 8lb braid or 10lb, 15 is too heavy.

All you want is something you can tie a 20-30lb leader onto and that's what counts.

The lighter you go the better casting distance.

15lb is ok but you will be at a disadvantage when the big ones are not on the bite, unless you buy high grade 15lb PE which is quite an expensive option.

Match you rod with the weight you will be casting.

cheers

Hey Joel. I have 2 Raiders - Bream finesse spin and Bass Raider baitcaster and love them both However, I have had a bit of a flick with a mates Starlo Stix Tournament Pro 7'2" 2-4kg and I love it (there are several weight and length option by the looks of it)! Gonna get me 1 - $120 @ MO tackle but I haven't looked locally so not sure if that's a good price or not (but worth every bit of that IMO). Next time your in a tackle shop have a play with 1.

cheers,

hey mongrel jack, i did see those rods on bcfs online cataloge, and they look a great rod but they are only 5'8'' which might be a bit short for land based? its a shame they look a good rod

also by the look of it they are only a one peice? i would prefer a two piece rod (though it doesnt have to be) just cas it will be easier carrying it around at uni

Archived