Filleting fish

Bluevien

Who guts the fish before filleting them? I never have but have been watching some video on the coast watch site and the fish they fillet have been. It makes sense because you don't have blood and guts everywhere but it's an extra thing you have to do.

Also, can anyone recommend a good filleting knife and where I can get it from?

Chhers,

Rob

I gut. Mainly because I love getting my hands amongst it :laugh:

I have some Kershaw knives. They're not too expensive but are decent enough quality to keep an edge.

Get a stainless knife graded above 250 and all should be good. The higher the better.

Learning to use a steel and not using a stone (or "sharpening device") until absolutely nevessary is the key for a sharp blade. There's some good tips on Youtube.

Gees,I must be doing somthing wrong because I have been using knifes for living for 20 plus years and it still take me about 3 minutes to gut them.

Hey rob I find it easer to fillet before gutting them less blood and guts and if your fish has been on ice they will be furmer and easy to fillet and skin if you want

cheers dassa

dassa wrote:

Gees,I must be doing somthing wrong because I have been using knifes for living for 20 plus years and it still take me about 3 minutes to gut them.

Hey rob I find it easer to fillet before gutting them less blood and guts and if your fish has been on ice they will be furmer and easy to fillet and skin if you want

cheers dassa

It takes you 3 minutes to gut a fish?

All you have to do is cut the fish open pull out the guts, most comes out in one go.

Cheers

Archived