Bris River GT x 5

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

Well decided to hit the River with Ando yesterday afternoon as we finished school early as we had parent teacher interviews.

I thought I'd try my hand at a few Squire so had a 1/4oz jighead on a 3inch Lime Tiger Fry. Got nothing on the Fry, not even a hit, so I put on a 6inch Sandworm to see if the bigger bait made it easier for the fish to find.

I got a couple of little taps on about my 20th cast with the Sandworm which was either Bream or Squire. About 5 casts later my Sandworm was sinking down and I thought I felt a hit. Then BANG! BZZZZZZZZ, I thought this was a half decent Squire to begin with so I backed off my drag.

I was a bit disappointed when a little 35cm fork length GT popped up. But still it was a good fish none the less. The next cast I got smashed for no hookup, I guess that's what you get when you're using a 6inch plastic. I thought to myself that there may be a school around as it was back to back hits and I have caught the same sized Trevally there before on SX40's as bycatch fishing for Bream. Ando was about a km upstream so I wasn't going to bother him :whistle: .

Next cast didn't get hit on the drop so I began hopping the lure. Got nailed by another good Trev at roughtly the same size. The next cast I landed a 30cm fork GT and it ripped off the Sandworm so I gave a popper a try, no love. The fish were on the bottom which is different for GT's, but that's where they were and it didn't look like they wanted a bar of my surface lure.

Put on a 2inch Baby Shrimp in Nuclear Chicken. The bites were a bit slow and even with the small lure is was hard to get a hook up. I ended up with 2 more GT's and 2 Bream once the sun went down and the bite stopped as the current was far too quick for my jighead.

The end tally was 5 GT's ranging from 30cm fork up to 40cm fork. Also got 2 legal Bream in the process. A bit strange considering I was getting them while casting out as far as possible in the middle of nowhere :S .

Anyway heading back down today for some more :) . Sorry no pics, only got a couple on my phone which I can't get onto the comp. Hopefully will have some pics to show this arvo.

Troy

Nice one mate.

Its awesome to so many GT's coming from the river at the moment. And when i say alot, i mean considering any are being caught at all!

Casting far, you reckon there was a current flow they were sitting in?

Good luck this afternoon.

Angus

Yeah good one Troy - that's how I used to catch em in the Tweed - cast out to the middle of nowhere, as long as it is up current, let SP sink and Jig it back. On eof my most favourite ways of land based fishing.

Regardless what others say the small GT's a great eating, but I know you threw am all back.

I ended up going back there the next afternoon. Johnny got busted off by a good fish near the bank and I landed a 25cm Squire.

That'd be right, go there one day to catch Squire and only catch GT's, go back there te next day to catch GT's and only catch Squire :P .

sarod420: Even though Nuclear Chicken is a bright colour I still don't like using it in dirty water, I would rather use a Bullhead Brown Powerbait which almost looks invisible in the Brisbane River as it doesn't spook them. But as I was targeting Squire I have had some success with them out in the bay in very very clear water.

Do$tylz: Nar, not off Cameron's, but kind of near it.

werewolf: As sarod420 said, it's a mixture of bright red back and glow in the dark bright green bottom and yes, I really really do need a digi!

Angus: Yes there is quite a bit of current. Well I wouldn't say current, it's where the in coming tide current meets a back eddie and causes a lot small eddies and swirls. Pelagics seem to love this mix, whether it be the Tweed, Gold Coast or Brisbane River. One of my favourite spots in the Tweed is the Tweed River Split on an out going tide. The 2 currents collide and it attracts loads of different pelagics.

Troy

Yeah its because when the current meet like this, debri and potentially food can collect. Hence attracting bait and thus attracting bigger predators.

It happens on a larger scale in the deep blue as well. Huge current streams converge and you see a line of debri. Including weed logs whatever. These trails are great places for Mahi Mahi and other blue water pelagics.

Well done again Troy.

Get a camera :P

Angus

Archived