Nitro VS. LOX VS. Loomis

Mr FeLiX

Afternoon fellow AFOers,

I have a question regarding the three brands of rods mentioned in the title of this thread, LOX, G.Loomis and Nitro.

After becoming hooked over the last few years on throwing small SPs for bream, I've come to the conclusion that I may soon be in the market for an Ultra Light bream spin/flick stick.

My Daiwa Luvias 1-3Kg is a great rod, but it has become more of an all-rounder, so to speak, teamed up with my RCS 2506 Caldia, it goes everywhere and pretty much does everything (within reason :P )

I know a few of the guys on the forum use these rods for the purpose of chasing bream, and I'm chasing a bit of general feedback on the three. I haven't mentioned any specific models, I'm leaving it open to discussion within this thread.

It will be teamed up with a 1000/1003 sized spin reel, brand and model are unknown for the moment and will have 1-3Kg braid (and possibly flurocarbon) running through the guides.

To make it clearer also, this rod will see work from both my 3.4 Mtr Stessl and the shore around the Gold Coast Broadwater/River systems.

Any feedback would be a great help, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mr FeLiX

here's my 2 cents worth :)

I've never tried a 1-3kg loomis (or any for that matter) or any of the Nitro Range.... but I have tried the Lox range :D

An honest opinion of them (the lox 1-3kg) is that they are fantastic and come at a great price. They are very light, however are a little tip heavy with a 1000 size reel on it. I've personally found it not to be a problem however from what I've been reading, some people don't like that it doesn't "balance".

I personally like the tip heavyness (is that even a word??) for hardbody fishing. The tip is naturally pointing downwards so you're not forcing the tip down at all. I also like it for plastics fishing where I'm letting the light placcy sink and sit for a long time. I let my rod tip down as the placcy sinks as I find that having the line coiled on the surface allows the plastic to fall as naturally as possible but then allows me to see strikes when it gets a hit or takes off.

The build of the rod is very minimal with only 3 very small pieces of cork in the handle. Plugger (one of the Lox ambassadors) on this site wasn't really a fan of it as he found it not to work with how he holds and works the rod. I however really don't mind it. Its not exactly the worlds most comfortable handle, but at the same time, using it all day long I really don't find my hands in pain from using it all day.

It handles big bream very well and still has some guts to put some hurt on them when needed. And you don't have to worry too much about breaking the rod when applying heaps of pressure as its only $50 to replace any of the halves of the rod with no questions.

The 7'6 Yoshi is the one I have... in fact I have 3 now. The extra length is great for the long cast to cover ground.

Anyway... enough dribble from me... if you're keen I'll even lend you one of my Yoshi's to have a play with. Take it out and go for gold. And no worries about breaking it... it'll only cost you $50 :P

How gentle are you with your rods?

I dont know about the lox warranty but I am a fan of the nitro because my rods have an affinity for air conditioners and car doors. $50 and you get a newby no questions asked you just have to take the broken one to the nearest nitro dealer and a few days later new one arrives.

My current nitro is 5 years old and has had one new butt section and 3 new tips and still good as new. :blush:

Cant comment on other issues as I either troll or bait fish but I prefer my nitro over a similar weight loomis.

Cheers

Ray :

Do$tylz wrote:

I've never tried a 1-3kg loomis (or any for that matter) or any of the Nitro Range.... but I have tried the Lox range :D

An honest opinion of them (the lox 1-3kg) is that they are fantastic and come at a great price. They are very light, however are a little tip heavy with a 1000 size reel on it. I've personally found it not to be a problem however from what I've been reading, some people don't like that it doesn't "balance".

I personally like the tip heavyness (is that even a word??) for hardbody fishing. The tip is naturally pointing downwards so you're not forcing the tip down at all. I also like it for plastics fishing where I'm letting the light placcy sink and sit for a long time. I let my rod tip down as the placcy sinks as I find that having the line coiled on the surface allows the plastic to fall as naturally as possible but then allows me to see strikes when it gets a hit or takes off.

The build of the rod is very minimal with only 3 very small pieces of cork in the handle. Plugger (one of the Lox ambassadors) on this site wasn't really a fan of it as he found it not to work with how he holds and works the rod. I however really don't mind it. Its not exactly the worlds most comfortable handle, but at the same time, using it all day long I really don't find my hands in pain from using it all day.

It handles big bream very well and still has some guts to put some hurt on them when needed. And you don't have to worry too much about breaking the rod when applying heaps of pressure as its only $50 to replace any of the halves of the rod with no questions.

The 7'6 Yoshi is the one I have... in fact I have 3 now. The extra length is great for the long cast to cover ground.

Anyway... enough dribble from me... if you're keen I'll even lend you one of my Yoshi's to have a play with. Take it out and go for gold. And no worries about breaking it... it'll only cost you $50 :P

Thanks for the replies so far guys, you've helped me out a lot. I don't know if you're being serious anout the LOX though Do$tylz, although I would take you up on that offer for sure just to see what the Yoshi is like

Yeah this has been a pretty hot topic over the last year or so. From what i have read online people that own lox's love them. Some have had problems with tips breaking but they got a replacement under warranty for like $50 if i remember correctly. And i have also read some people have had concerns over the tip guide diameter catching on knots, but i haven't heard that for a while now so maybe that's not such a major issue anymore and it might have been more specific knots some people were using.

At the end of the day that for the price it looks like a great rod and for the super light work you want to do then it would do the trick.

On the nitros. Well the biggest plus with them from what i know is the strength of the rod. Even models in the 1-2kg range are meant to have some awesome fish stopping power in the butt section. The price is more expensive though. Specifically i know some people find the vapours to be to tip heavy for ultra finesse work.

If your also looking at a loomis well some advice i got on them was go and pick one up and see what you think. After i picked one up i realised why the guy told me to do this. Loomis rods in the 2-6lb and 4-8lb are just beautiful rods, they feel beautiful to hold.

Hope that gives ya some insight

Perky wrote:

Yeah this has been a pretty hot topic over the last year or so. From what i have read online people that own lox's love them. Some have had problems with tips breaking but they got a replacement under warranty for like $50 if i remember correctly. And i have also read some people have had concerns over the tip guide diameter catching on knots, but i haven't heard that for a while now so maybe that's not such a major issue anymore and it might have been more specific knots some people were using.

At the end of the day that for the price it looks like a great rod and for the super light work you want to do then it would do the trick.

On the nitros. Well the biggest plus with them from what i know is the strength of the rod. Even models in the 1-2kg range are meant to have some awesome fish stopping power in the butt section. The price is more expensive though. Specifically i know some people find the vapours to be to tip heavy for ultra finesse work.

If your also looking at a loomis well some advice i got on them was go and pick one up and see what you think. After i picked one up i realised why the guy told me to do this. Loomis rods in the 2-6lb and 4-8lb are just beautiful rods, they feel beautiful to hold.

Hope that gives ya some insight

Thanks Perky, some good advice there.

Does anyone by chance know of a Tackle store where I could compare the three off the shelf? I haven't found a place yet that stocks the LOX at all :blush:

Also, by the looks of things, the reel will end up being a Daiwa Certate 1003 or similar

The LOX is in the lead at the moment, by a hair over the Nitro range. I just can't seem to justify the $450-$500 price tag for a Loomis.

I know they are a beautiful rod, well made etc but there really are no stand out features that make me wanna grab it and walk out of the shop :laugh:

Anyone know who stocks LOX rods? I've heard that possibly tackle warehouse, gold coast?

mate i agree with with Do$tylz the yoshi range is fantastic, i have the 7'6" matched with a luvias 1003 spooled with either 2 or 3lb flouro and can cast the smallest hardbody a good distance with accuracy. no problem with knots or line twisting around guides as mentioned earlier. if you are attending the bream social then you can use my outfit with the reel for the day, then let me know how it goes and i can organise a rod for you to purchase. the other rods are good but you could get more than 1 LOX for the price of the others, just a thought more money for lures :)

Do$tylz wrote:

thanks henry for that comment :lol: the factory are coming up with some things to make it a little bit more plugger friendly :P

plugger wrote:

mate i agree with with Do$tylz the yoshi range is fantastic, i have the 7'6" matched with a luvias 1003 spooled with either 2 or 3lb flouro and can cast the smallest hardbody a good distance with accuracy. no problem with knots or line twisting around guides as mentioned earlier. if you are attending the bream social then you can use my outfit with the reel for the day, then let me know how it goes and i can organise a rod for you to purchase. the other rods are good but you could get more than 1 LOX for the price of the others, just a thought more money for lures :)

Thanks plugger, some great info there. Does the extra bit of length in the Yoshi really help? I've just noticed my Luvias is a tad shorter (only aa couple of inches) and I believe it would really be a godsend if fishing scrubby/rocky foreshores, or even around the boat.

I won't be fishing in the social mate, as I don't have my boat licence yet and haven't managed a decky spot :blush: , but I would definatley like to organise something with either yourself or Do$tylz regarding the possibility of having a flick with the Yoshi and ordering one for myself.

Thanks again

Felix

^^ :D no dramas :P Just used it as an example to outlline that I won't just give biased opinions or views. I'll tell it like it is.

Mr Felix - yeah man. I'm being serious if you wanted to borrow the rod. I've got 3 of them now so having 1 of them MIA for a week or so won't bother me. Let me know if when you wanna borrow one and its yours :) I'm down at the inner south of Bris after hours, in the city business hours.

Mr FeLiX wrote:

plugger wrote:

Thanks plugger, some great info there. Does the extra bit of length in the Yoshi really help? I've just noticed my Luvias is a tad shorter (only aa couple of inches) and I believe it would really be a godsend if fishing scrubby/rocky foreshores, or even around the boat.

I won't be fishing in the social mate, as I don't have my boat licence yet and haven't managed a decky spot :blush: , but I would definatley like to organise something with either yourself or Do$tylz regarding the possibility of having a flick with the Yoshi and ordering one for myself.

Thanks again

Felix

extra few inches...well i dont think so, i think it comes down to casting technique. but thats my opinion. when they sort out a date for the social i could have a talk to my mate and see if we can get you onboard with us. will keep you updated

Do$tylz wrote:

^^ :D no dramas :P Just used it as an example to outlline that I won't just give biased opinions or views. I'll tell it like it is.

Mr Felix - yeah man. I'm being serious if you wanted to borrow the rod. I've got 3 of them now so having 1 of them MIA for a week or so won't bother me. Let me know if when you wanna borrow one and its yours :) I'm down at the inner south of Bris after hours, in the city business hours.

all good mate just stirring :) you missed out on a great day at mud, 2 tuskies,3 grassies, heap of bream and 5 snapper all well over legal. next time mate

Do$tylz wrote:

Mate, that would be an awesome favour. I'm in wakerely up untim about 5:30, then I head home. Is that anywhere near you at all?

Felix

plugger wrote:

Mr FeLiX wrote:
plugger wrote:

Thanks again

Felix

extra few inches...well i dont think so, i think it comes down to casting technique. but thats my opinion. when they sort out a date for the social i could have a talk to my mate and see if we can get you onboard with us. will keep you updated

That would ALSO be awesome. :laugh: . Thatnsk for all the offers so far guys, I'm pretty keen to give the Yoshi a try. If ya don't mind me asking Do$tylz, what type of reel do you run on yours? Or have I asked that already? :S Sorry if I have

Do$tylz wrote:

wakerley.. no where near me :D

I've got a 1000 stradic on mine but have run a 1000 Stella on it too... about to add another sweet real to one of my lox's but that another story on its way :D

I've been considering my options for reels, and at the moment i'm considering a luvias da custom, certate, CI4 1000 or twinpower. The Luvias has some great features and is light, so does/is the CI4. The certate is great, but pricey and i've heard both good and bad things regarding the twinpower.

It'll be a case of take the rod in and try them out I think.

Thanks mate

Felix

• 8 years later...

Archived