Ballina last weekend

hunter armytage

As a result of work commitments taking me to Ballina for the weekend , I decided to take the tinnie with me and see what was lurking in the river ( and see if there were any more of those monster tailor as posted last week).

Well the weather and work both did their best to keep me from wetting a line however I had a spare couple of hours on saturday afternoon so i dropped into Daves tackle shop in the main street and pickup some prawns and pilchards and local advice.

I launched the boat and motored around near the wharf in middle of town and found some herring so out went the bait rig and about half an hour later i had a few herring for live bait, which was really frustating as had the local laws permitted i would of had a bucketfull in about 1 cast of the cast net but i perseverd with the rig and got few anyway.

Drove around looking for some likely spots before i settled on a deep spot next to a rockwall on the way out to the mouth, out went the livies and settled in to see what would happen. About 20 mins later a litle jewie decides to take one of the herring anyway i get him in for a photo and back he goes to swim for another day. ballina_jewie_2_AFO.jpg

After sending him on his way I went through a few more livies to probably the local bream and tailor poulation which seem to only want to take the head or the tail and I am now down to the last live herring, when another jewie putts in an appearance, this one a touch bigger than the last ballina_jewie_2_AFO.jpg

after that i had no more live bait and had to get to work so i packed up and called it a day but it was a fun couple of hours and really enjoyed catching the jewies durring the daylight hours. It was a total washout on sunday with it raining nearly all day so i didnt go out but i will definetly be making the trip back down to ballina again this time without work .

cheers hunter

Archived