Saturday All-Nighter

fatmuf

Me and a mate are hittin Nudgee Beach for an all-nighter this Saturday, and if things dont work the way we hope there we might try another spot. We'll be out there sometime between 8pm - 6am. Company's always great so consider this an open invite. We could always use a few tips and pointers on fishing.

I'm chasing whatever's biting haha! I have no idea man, i'm new to the whole.. knowing how to go for one specific fish, certain areas for fish, yada yada. Up until recently it was just- fish wherever, whenever, with any rod and a bit of frozen bait although, productiveness: nil. So do you know what hangs around the mouth there, maybe in the mangroves too? I could use a couple pointers to get me started. I was gonna get a net from BCF and just see what live bait i can get off the boat ramp there, figured that whatever's there is all the bait i'd need.

But yeah mate a rainy is definitely in the picture, i'm looking into gettin a sick canopy chair lol. Sometime in the near future... :P

nothing wrong with picking a spot and soaking some bait .

part of the fun is the surprise of what u mite get ,bream ,whiting ,flat head ,squire ,shovel nose ,rays and catfish ,there is always catfish.

nothing like chillin out ,soaking some bait and just going with the flow and seeing what u get .

i think them bag of servo prawns are around 250 to 300 grams ,so 1/2 a kg of green prawns should do u ok .

also nothing wrong with using a legal fish u catch as bait too ,mullet ,pike etc the oily kind of fish , seam t do ok as bait.

also chicken breast is a ok bait ,bream ,squire ,shovel nose ,don't mind it .

say get 1 small breast only cost a few $ cut in in a long triangle sort of shape ,sort of like a soft plastic .thick head thin tail .

Wrap some of those green peeled prawns around some circle hooks on a paternoster rig and settle in with a thermos of coffee and some bug-spray mate, you are bound to get a hit or two :) I have often wandered about soaking some bait or a livie just out from some mangroves, I imagine it could be quite productive.

Cheers, and good luck.

Ryan.

By the look of the tides it will be high at about 10:30pm, I will admit the inlet there does look like it could hold some nice fish I just never seem to do any good.

I would have at least one live bait out, for an all-nighter you never know what might come by.

@Ryan- I am sure the mangroves are one of the best spots to fish.

The comment was just pertaining to my earlier comment about the midge and

mosquito presence.You should be ok on the beachfront but once near the

mangroves you will get swarmed.

But if your keen go for it, just make sure you have a second spot to jump to if the mozzies arrive.

Cheers

kreel wrote:

If you're doing Nudgee Beach don't forget the bug-spray, you can lose a pint of blood an hour there some-times.

Hey mate, i agree with Kreel. I fished there last year, was hoping to do the all nighter too... only lasted 20mins with the amount of bloody mozzies there... they're not small either! Repelent seems to attract them even more!

Maybe you could also try boggy creek, or even redcliffe...

Would join you but have fishing plans for a 5am start on Sunday... watchout for a NPD report ;)

Good luck mate

Well it was a good all-nighter but we only caught one whiting. SO here's a question for ya, what was i doing wrong?

I was using green prawns, hook size seemed sweet,, i even tried a couple of different line set-up's. So how is it that some blokes can go out and bring home a decent feed and i go out and just catch a little whiting?

I know there was heaps of whiting in there, they were chasing all the smaller fish. So what should i change for next time?

I have never chased whiting before, however I have heard that pippis and worms are good bait for them. Downgrade the hook size, and have a bit of a look at the environment you are in. If there are lots of worm holes where you are fishing, grab some of those worms and use them as bait, or if there are pippis lying around, change up to them. It seems to me, from reading this post, that you weren't too sure what you would catch down there, and went for green prawns in order to cover a few bases. That is a pretty good idea, however now that you know there are whiting there, set out to specifically target them, using a bait they would more readily take.

I hope this helps,

Ryan.

yeah that does help mate, cheers. a couple things tho... 1. what the hell is a pippi lol? 2. there were a fair few holes in the mud around and i thought they might have been yabby holes, how do i tell what's down there? and 3. if they are worms holes, how do i go about getting them?

fatmuf wrote:

Well it was a good all-nighter but we only caught one whiting. SO here's a question for ya, what was i doing wrong?

I was using green prawns, hook size seemed sweet,, i even tried a couple of different line set-up's. So how is it that some blokes can go out and bring home a decent feed and i go out and just catch a little whiting?

I know there was heaps of whiting in there, they were chasing all the smaller fish. So what should i change for next time?

what were you doing wrong?

How many big fish get pulled out of there land based?...not many.

Simply you where fishing in the wrong spot.

Also you never had a livie out for sharks or large fish.

I think if your doing an all nighter you can afford to have one rod just sit there silently with a nice livie, its a good sound when it goes off.

Cheers

fatmuf wrote:

yeah that does help mate, cheers. a couple things tho... 1. what the hell is a pippi lol? 2. there were a fair few holes in the mud around and i thought they might have been yabby holes, how do i tell what's down there? and 3. if they are worms holes, how do i go about getting them?

Having never done it before, I am only guessing, but maybe a hand shovel or a pump??? Pippis are those butterfly shell looking things.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Hit nudgee a fair few times a long long time ago when I was living down there, with castnet caught livies in that little creek. Got a lot of pike eels and sharks but managed a couple of 2kg+ flathead after many sessions.

Mangroves + mud + small holes sounds like little crabs I reckon. But you mentioned getting a net, I reckon nothing beats a live prawn for getting a decent fish period, and that combination sounds like a good prawn area with a cast net to me. Reckon a small mesh net (3/4") so you get the small prawns, and hook them live in the last joint of the tail on a small hook could potentially get a stonker whiting, noting you know there are whiting there already. We have got a lot of 3kg+ grunter with that method up here in a spot quite similar to Nudgee Beach (mouth of Richters creek on the southern end of yorkeys beach for you fellow Cairns-ites!).

Sorry for sticking my nose in, just very much of the opinion that a lot of 'northern' techniques could really fire down south, and conversely a lot of 'southern' techniques would be incredibly successful up here.

Pippies are Eugaries.

The holes, if they were in the water are likely to be yabbies; If out of the water at low tide but not high it could be yabbies or soldier crabs; If out of the water at high tide likely to be soldier crabs or trapdoor spiders without a door.

If you can't collect your own live bait, I suggest you head to a decent bait shop and purchase some live blood worms. I don't think there's an estuary fish that wont enjoy a live blood worm. They also stay on the hook well.

ryanyoung wrote:

Having never done it before, I am only guessing, but maybe a hand shovel or a pump??? Pippis are those butterfly shell looking things.

Do you just shuck it out with a knife?

tiotony wrote:

...you mentioned getting a net, I reckon nothing beats a live prawn for getting a decent fish period, and that combination sounds like a good prawn area with a cast net to me. Reckon a small mesh net (3/4") so you get the small prawns, and hook them live in the last joint of the tail on a small hook could potentially get a stonker whiting, noting you know there are whiting there already.

Getting a net sounds like a great idea, in fact i was going to last week but from about $50 a net from BCF at least?? Struth, thats a rip-off!

ellicat wrote:

If you can't collect your own live bait, I suggest you head to a decent bait shop and purchase some live blood worms. I don't think there's an estuary fish that wont enjoy a live blood worm. They also stay on the hook well.

Sounds excellent!! Blood worms sound like they're definitely worth a try!

Thanks everyone for your input ay, champs.

~~My eyes, ears and mind are always open to the constructive criticisms and helpful hints of those who warrant my seeing, hearing and thinking.~~

Archived