Straddy Island 20th-24th September

Angus

Well I am going to break my Straddy report down into a couple of parts...

Why?

a: Because the photo's from the weekend just past are still on Do$tylz camera...

b: It would be a long, messy report so better broken down anyway.

Ok.

The week on the 20th to the 24th consisted of really one type of fishing for me. After sussing out the ledges with Boydy the previous weekend I knew where were the safer places in the not so good weather. I also knew there were plenty of bream and trevs to be had and this was more than enough for to give it a good crack.

So each day I went down armed with my Ultegra 2000 and Starlo Stick 1-3KG. This is typically very light for what I would usually use off these rocks as the fish do like to run for cover or just plain old keep running! However I have really been enjoying the lighter stuff lately and well if I loose and a few to line peeling runs, all the more fun, not specifically chasing a feed or anything anyway.

I did end up loosing about 3 decent fish to some massive runs. However this was well and truly compensated by the ones landed :) Over the 4 days I fished about 15 Blue Fin Trevs were landed in addition so a lot of bream, dart and even a Silver Drummer or Sweep (I am not sure exactly but I am sure someone will ID it). The Blue Fin Trevs are a sensational looking fish I had not encountered before looking a lot like a GT with vibrant blue fins so picked up in the photo's sorry. The Drummer/Sweep was also very cool. While the Trevs had the decency to head for open water at 100 miles an hour, this fish wanted to go nowhere elese but the rocks. I did a lot of crazy dancing around trying to get fish through the swell and onto the rocks over the week, but this one proved the most challenging!

Other highlights included fishing the Home Beach gutters with Tanya. Every time we went here we managed a respectable feed of whiting and on one occasion large gar who took a fancy to small plastics, another first for me.

So that was my chilled week.

Stay tuned for the report from my 48 hour fishing bender with Do$tylz to be published soon :P

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. Most are self taken in not so lovely conditions.

Cheers.

Angus

Picture: Tanya at one of the more productive Home Beach locations...

. 1-20100927-2.JPG

post-63-144598533641_thumb.jpg

Nice report Angus. :laugh:

Have you tried jerkbait in other brand such as atomic's jerk minnow? any luck?

Or other fish types plastic such as paddle tail and t-tail minnow?

I dont know why all my plastics fail at there. I still caught some smaller fish on plastic, but not trevs. I wonder maybe my technique is not correct, or my plastics are not the right type, but I saw in magazine that trevs were caught on about every types of plastic.

I remember I saw you guys retrieved those jerkbait very fast. But how about for paddle tail or others?

I only had luck on hardbodies: vibes, bibbed minnow, etc. I reckon they would take everything, but I just dont know why my plastics didnt work. Though, I lost some hardbodies during the fights and that's hurt. :( So I would like to learn using plastic instead. ;)

Sounds like ya had a ball Angus. Great work on the Trevs, still yet to find a few to hit the plastics on light gear but I'll get there.

Great work on that Silver drummer too. Although they don't go as hard as the black drummer, they're still a handfull and on 1-3Kg tackle, a great achievement. Well done B)

Mr FeLiX wrote:

Sounds like ya had a ball Angus. Great work on the Trevs, still yet to find a few to hit the plastics on light gear but I'll get there.

Great work on that Silver drummer too. Although they don't go as hard as the black drummer, they're still a handfull and on 1-3Kg tackle, a great achievement. Well done B)

Cheers mate.

I am glad its been ID'd as a drummer actually.

It basically looked like a silver luderick so I was pretty sure but not 100%.

The fish itself was 34cm which I know is not huge but once again, on the gear and off the rocks I was chuffed.

Angus

Archived