Could i make it to moreton island

old mate

Hey mate. I zipped all round the bay in my 4.5 sea jay (40hp yammy) last moreton bay classic. Boat was loaded with 4 people and had the obvious handicap of an amateur skipper and being navigated by Kreel :P We didn't even use a full tank and we were out all day so 45L of fuel shouldn't be a problem. I think the conditions would be your biggest concern. Anything over 10knots and I don't usually want to know about it. Best bet would be to pair up with someone with a bit of experience in the area and tag along with them.

Cheers - Jono

Take a jerry can and choose a day with a forecasdt under 10knots and you will be fine. Avoide going out in a forecast with a westerly as working with it will be easy. If it blows up and you have to head back into the wind you will be in the sh!t.

Also avoid the sand banks at the orthern end of the bay as they can get pretty hairy.

Judging by your question it would seem you are not that experienced ?

I suggest you have a play around the southern or middle end of the bay before attempting a trip to Moreton. The Bay conditions can change considerably in less than an hour from glass to "where's a bit of shelter". Spring and summer are probably the worst times for weather changes and storms. Most afternoons (or from late morning) the wind springs up to varying degrees even when the morning has been calm with a glassed out bay.

There's a lot of questions you need to answer for yourself before "how much fuel ?"

The way I drive my boat I get about 2km per litre when travelling straight from A to B. I have an 40hp 2 stroke on the back of a 4.2 aluminium runabout.

DO you have all the required safety equipment ?

Inside or outside?

I'll head over with you one weekend if you like. Although I usually head out from Whyte Island boat ramp.

I'd suggest grabbing a jerry to take with you just in case conditions change as the guys mentioned.

Going with the tide/wind or against can change fuel usage dramatically.

As a gauge, I run an old 90hp and go through about 40-50 litres in good conditions.

I carry 170 litres onboard. I guess it's a pilot habit, I always carry extra fuel.

just pick a good day with small swell and under 10knots + sunshine and you should be fine, just make sure you take an extra 20ltr + of fuel just incase and make sure you have your flares and all safetys gear.. good idea to leave the vhf on and keep an eye out for weather warnings. And if your unsure do a tag along trip for your first run and a GPS can be a life saver if rain or fog comes around as the visablitity can get pretty shocking up to a couple of mtrs :S

Cheers for the help guys, i think i might do a few tag along trips and learn a bit more about the water currents and stuff before i go and do it by myself, cheers for the offer 1800amix i might have to take you up on that sometime, for now i might just stick in around the river and bay, Cheers guys.

give me a pm when u want to go out on the tag alongs and I'll go too

I have a 4.3 bluefin with a 30hp and a 70lt tank and

am looking to run across to moreton as well

I agree with the guys though - the bay can be nasty in the afternoon

I went to Mud with 3 people on board (14 kms) in rough stuff and went thru about 40lt

of fuel so ensure you carry spare fuel.

I believe moreton is 40k's and as yet I haven't seen a servo out there

If u need to borrow a jerry can I have one

U will need an epirb as well

guys correct me if I'm wrong

tight lines

Kieran

i like carrying spare tanks not jerys ive tried to fill tanks from jerry when shit had hit the fan it was very hard and i spilt a lot of fuel and had to put up with the smell and fire risk in very average conditions i dont get sea sick but everyone else did

so at the end of the day just changing a line is much easier and safer it also is better than a big tank as you can gauge how far you can go

remember 1 tank there

1 tank back

1 tank spare

this has kept me safe and avoided the impossible job of paddling

yourboat in the right hands is probably capable of navigating the worst the bay can throw but who wants to be in that not me

jason :)

I tracked a trip from Scarborough to the four beacons last Thursday. I have a 4.2 bluefin like kieren but with a forty hp 4stroke. The wind was forecast to be 5-10 early so we planned to be back by lunch. The trip out was 25 kms and took 40 minutes averaging 37 k/hr. Tangalooma is only about 4 more ks. This was an exceptional smooth trip as it has taken me about an hour plus other times. 

On the way back we went via some bust ups following birds. All up we travelled about 70ks and used about 19 litres of fuel. So it is possible but check the focast carefully and carry extra fuel. I always carry 35 litres for these trips but have never gone through my 25l main tank. Anything over 10knts will make it a slow uncomfortable trip. 

Also Make sure u log your trip with the VMR even by phone if u don't have a radio. If u pick the right conditions it's a great trip. 

Cheers guys, i might have to save up a bit then before making this trip, i will give you a yell when i am ready but don't count on me becasue i change plans every 2 second.

i need to get some bigger fuel tanks as the one sitting in the boat is around 30 and i have two 20 litre cans.

Cheers Again

Just go down to Whitworths, grab a 25l fuel tank and adapter for your type of engine and you're away.

(You can now just alternate between tanks when one empties)

They've got this thing there that you swipe a rectangular plastic card through and then they let you take their products.

like every one has said pick the right conditions, i go over regulary in my 3.99 proline punt with a yammy 25 2/s i take 25 litres and a spare jerry with 10ltrs just in case. but in your boat 2 tanks plus a spare just in case. here is a pic of the right conditions with my tinny on moreton just below tangalooma 105_1577_800x600.jpg

post-4300-144598534035_thumb.jpg

wesfish wrote:

like every one has said pick the right conditions, i go over regulary in my 3.99 proline punt with a yammy 25 2/s i take 25 litres and a spare jerry with 10ltrs just in case. but in your boat 2 tanks plus a spare just in case. here is a pic of the right conditions with my tinny on moreton just below tangalooma 105_1577_800x600.jpg

mate you are dead set gutsy!

Archived