Rollmops

MoparKevUk

Back in the UK I loved a RollMop (and jellied eels, whelks, winkles etc). I had the unfortunate experience of buying a jar of RollMops from Woolies and compared with the UK they were pants. So I'm thinking of using them for bait instead of just chucking them. A quick squiz on the 'Net reveals they are the gun bait for Sturgeon in the US. Anyone tried 'em out over here, and what fish find them irresistable! For those not in the know, a RollMop is a pickled Herring fillet rolled up with onion in a jar of sweet vinegar......Mmmmm! B)

Anyone jelly eels over here? :woohoo:

Found this on an "Eat, drink and be wary" site for those not up to speed on jellied eels (Translations on request!)

What: Jellied eels.

Where: Britain.

What is it: This slippery number is an East End of London delicacy, and is often served with a steaming dollop of pie and mash. Nowadays it's pretty hard to find jellied eels on a London menu, but it can still be discovered, especially around the East End. Surprisingly, they are also stocked in one of the world's plushest department stores - Harrods.

How it is prepared: They are simmered for about half an hour and allowed to cool. The juices then solidify, forming a rich jelly. Occasionally gelatine is added and quite often they are eaten with a light drizzling of chilli vinegar.

Price: You'd probably be looking to pay the equivalent of about $10 in a greasy spoon.

ha ha we used to have them in a warehouse i used to work in , if anyone dropped any ( 6 glass jars per "box " )

they stunk . There were 2 types Rollmops and Kippers i think from memory .

Any fish thats sick enough to eat them isnt worth keeping as its probably sick and dying.

There is a British fish and chip shop down the road from us , I might stop by one day and see what they have in there .

/>http://www.chumleywarners.com.au/

I was watching tv a while back and these guys started an eel farm down in Tassie.

They are sold at around 40-50 cm.

They export them to Europe, the Europeans can't get enough of them.

Actually I think they would catch on here, eels from memory have nice white flesh and the smaller ones cooked properly are meant to be very nice.

I have only chawed a old tough one I cooked while camping many years ago and it was like eating a tennis shoe.

Cheers

I love rollmops, even though they almost killed me a couple of years ago. If you buy a jar of them, eat them all within a couple of days. I ate some that had been in the fridge open for a couple of weeks and ended up with really bad food poisoning. Couldn't eat anything for 8 days and was hospitalised at one stage, so be careful.

Old Scaley wrote:

I love rollmops, even though they almost killed me a couple of years ago. If you buy a jar of them, eat them all within a couple of days. I ate some that had been in the fridge open for a couple of weeks and ended up with really bad food poisoning. Couldn't eat anything for 8 days and was hospitalized at one stage, so be careful.

got to watch out for that, I got it once from a chicken schnitzel.

Dry heaved for 10 hours straight then was ok.

Cheers

Archived