New England Table Lands - Trout?

Angus

Hey there AFO'ers.

Has anyone ever tavelled down New England way and done any trout fishing.

I would love to spend some time and explore things but just will not have time when I go through at the end of the year to come in totally green.

So What I am really looking for is a good stretch of river or even a trout fishing farm or something...

Google has been far less helpful than I would have thought on this subject...

Cheers.

Angus

Well a trout question I can actually answer to some degree!

Hmm ok a nice stretch of river in the region in the Mc Donald river around the Whalca area.

You will find this river has a lot of public access spots but better still you can get info from tackle stores of which farmers allow people on their land to fish with permission and some notice.

An awesome river with plenty of rapids holes and often meandering into large ponding areas well over 50 meters wide and 200 meters long, deep too.

There is also Niangala and Weabonga close by that has some awsome trout water,that would be the Mc Donald and some other River.

Celtas are the go and fly fishing is also the way to go.

Oh and a favorite of mine was to drive the road between Whalca and Bendemeer and get off and take a short stroll to the river, about 50 meters away and have a fish, the river runs beside the road for quite a few km, and there have been some great rains in the last 12 months so the water should be prime for sizable trout, my biggest was 3lb Rainbow on a celta in that area, but always manage a nice 40-50cm keeper.

Around Ebor I think you will find the Styx river and a quite a few in the area that hold some very nice Browns, this is trout country and get a map and go for it.

I have been there but did not fish any rivers as big as the Mc Donald but I believe the Styx that runs near Ebor and Armidale holds some awesome Browns (3lb+) for Fly fishos.

I think Ebor trout Hatchery is still running LP Dutton trout hatchery not sure if you can fish for them but you would definitely be in trout country up that way.

Armidale has a lot of fly fishing enthusiasts and the local tackle store would have a tonne of info if you fell short.

Hope this helps

I would go by town and River make it a lot easier to pinpoint access spot on a map.

Cheers

Hope it helps

Dan

Thanks very much.

Funnily enough one of the stays I have booked is in Walcha :)

Also I have looked at the LP Dutton Hatchery and will be checking it out as we will have at least 3 days in Armidale to explore the sorrounds. However I was unsure based on the website and reviews if you could fish..? I assumed not as you would think that would be pretty clearly promoted?

Angus

Great

Check out the Mc Donald Might be other rivers around there but the Mc Donald is good water.

Niangla and Weabonga are also close by (Mostly Rainbows with the odd good brown).

And if you get on the road to Bendemeer from Whalca and see the river to your left get out and have a spin.

3 days? then you might even have time to hit the mighty Styx river (Browns on fly).

Good luck

Dan

Yeah and I will also just add, make sure to get the document with all the local property owners that allow access to their property for fishing, would be a valuable future investment if you got to know a few of those guys and they trusted you then you would have a sweet location to visit every trip.Surprisingly there are quite a lot of property owners that do allow access if you ask.

PS: I just quoted myself and started another post getting used to the new forum

Thanks very much.

Funnily enough one of the stays I have booked is in Walcha :)

Also I have looked at the LP Dutton Hatchery and will be checking it out as we will have at least 3 days in Armidale to explore the sorrounds. However I was unsure based on the website and reviews if you could fish..? I assumed not as you would think that would be pretty clearly promoted?

Angus

The hatchery is definitely worth a visit, should wet the appetite. Mate make sure you take the woolies if u r heading to Ebor damn cold.

Angus

When are you going.

Mate if you can get a bit of info while you are there could you post it on the site as I am sure there would be a few people on here that would be more than interested.

I've spent a lot of hours trolling Tassie Devils or Lofty's lures around some of the lakes in Tasmania searching out trout and would realy like to find some where a little bit closer to go.

Wayne Kampe has an article in the latest QFM , I usualy go down that way with Wallyfly each year and we usualy fish private property of people he has known for years. If you are not into fly the sx40 does wonders.

Dino

Thanks Dino. While I am interested in learning fly, I would also like to have spin on stand by!

Angus

Archived