toga addict, please help!!

wesfish

since getting my first toga last week thats all i can think about :silly:

well had my rdo today and was going to do lenthals but restricted with my motor , so the choice was made to hit borumba for toga again, the morning started slow with out much action, so i moved around a bit exploring the great dam some more, it paid off as i stumbled across a nice inlet, i flicked the lure behind some weed beds and between the bank, i said i will try a different approach and left the lure in the one spot giving it the ever so smallest twitches keeping the lure from travelling just bobbing. well all hell broke loose as an easy 70cm toga took to the air with my lure, one great run and doh doh doh doh friggen doh :S dropped it!

welli tried the exact same thing in the same spot and huge swirl and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz then dropped, 3rd cast in same area again and connection short battle and i boated a 47cm toga, not huge but still jumped like crazy. a few pics and release and i do it one more time in the same spot, twitch twitch kaboom 2 togas fighting over my lure, well this one was a monster and well over 80cm maybe even 90cm, it hit massive air and showed its self twice before screaming through the timber 10 secs later and doh doh doh doh dropped again, i was cut but happy with the action as it was intense on 10lb, dave decided he would have a go at the method and bang he was on for about 3 secs before dropping it! this was the best action so far and i will be back there for 2 days this weekend to have another go at this population of toga i found, but upgraded wider gap hooks to be added to the prial pencils this time.

post-4300-144598534819_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598534836_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598534842_thumb.jpg

hey wes are you allowed to keep the toga's for pets?
if its legal size i guess you could keep em for a pet, not sure how they would cope after being in the wild then confined to a small tank, might freak out every time someone walks past the tank.

well done mate - u r really giving me serious trouble here with work. I read all your reports and all I want to do is stuff work and go fish. Seriously mate well done. Love Borumba it is a great looking dam. getting up there soon with the boys.

QBK - mate not sure on the legality however I have read that due to there hard heads they have a habit of breaking light tanks. I would think it would be pretty hard to domesticate a wild fish like that. Maybe Elops can help with the legality

You can legally catch fish and take them home for an aquarium as long as you abide by the fishing regs with size and bag limits ect.

Once acclimatized to the tank water they will usually take up to 4 weeks to get them to eat properly and often several months or more to get them onto a dry pellet food.

In the mean time often live foods is the only thing they will eat like small yabbies,shrimps,feeder fish,worms ect.

The only drawback is down the track if you decide you dont want the fish anymore legally you cannot sell the fish but you certainly can give it away.

They must never be released back into the waterway due to the possibility of diseases than can occur in aquariums which can post a huge risk to the aquatic life in that waterway.

Togas need a large tank of at least 6x2x2 ft with high quality filtration and food and they are very aggressive and often will kill any other fish in the tank.That being said they are a very impressive fish to keep and feeding times can be fun to watch.

A 50cm toga is worth about $150 so maybe if you want one it would be far better to release any wild caught fish and buy a tank raised fish that is already feeding on pellets and far easier to maintain and keep alive.

Lance

there's no helping you now Wes you have got the bug and it's a life long addiction you can try to ween yourself off on snapper i have heard but you must consult another fisho for advice don't try this alone, we may be able to help you out with this here for now take 2 seasick pills and get offshore :silly:

there's no helping you now Wes you have got the bug and it's a life long addiction you can try to ween yourself off on snapper i have heard but you must consult another fisho for advice don't try this alone, we may be able to help you out with this here for now take 2 seasick pills and get offshore :silly:
:lol: :lol: hahahaha sounds like the best advice ever lol!! cheers doc tugger :silly:

Nice one Wes, they are fantastic fish by far my favorite freshwater fish.

QBK as Lance said it is a lot of effort to keep a legal sized Toga and acclimate it to a fish tank, also you are not just removing 1 fish as at 50 cm it would be nearing breeding size and Toga breed in the dams. Juveniles are usually available in aquariums in december for 40 to $50 or if you keep an eye out there will be some posted for sale on AFO ;)

cheers

Steve

Archived