PB Snapper with Buckat List Charters

tobie10

Friday morning I crawl out of bed while everything is still asleep – the sun, the birds, me (nearly). By 5:30 am I am here…

post-6598-144598541333_thumb.jpg

…saying goodbye to Manly harbour, heading out to the great deep blue with Warwick from Buckat List charters. There were 4 of us + Warwick on this unofficial charter: 2 mates of Warwick, Shortie and me. It was the first time I’ve met any of these guys, but I really couldn’t have picked a better group to spend the day with.

We chopped across the bay at full steam, everyone buzzing with anticipation. The day was beautiful, the ocean in a lazy gentle roll. There were whales, there were dolphins, it was just great, really. Pretty soon we’re through the bay, drifting over some likely culprits on the sounder.

It look a little while to get things started, but all of sudden I look over my shoulder and see Tom’s (Warwick’s mate) rod bent down sharp. There’s a flurry of: “Are you on?†“Get the net!†“Keep it coming!†“That’s it, keep reeling!†– but all I’m thinking of is that he’s taking a really long time to bring up that fish. There was a flash of colour at the surface that looked possibly reddish. Then the net was in and the fish was out.

post-6598-144598541342_thumb.jpg

75 cm from tip to tail. Tom said: “This is the biggest fish I have ever caught.†He could not stop grinning. We were over 70 m+ of water, but yeah, that’s why he was reeling so long.

There’s nothing like a monster fish caught to reignite enthusiasm. Lines were back in before Tom’s snapper hit the bottom of the ice chest. We drift around for a bit without any takers, so we move on to a next likely spot.

Warwick took us out around Moreton that day, with the fishing starting after we got out of the bay and ending at the northern end of Moreton. His strategy was to find a likely area on the sounder, position the boat into an ideal drift and then call out to us when we were coming over some fish. My strategy was to have my line out, then freespool it to the bottom about 20 seconds after Warwick told us we were over fish. Suddenly, it felt like a pig had jumped onto my line. I think I managed to squeak, “fish!†and then started reeling as hard as I could.

post-6598-144598541346_thumb.jpg

I’m saying, “ARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!†I would like to mention my biceps are, at the most, the size of squash balls and for me to reel up a decent fish, and feed line properly onto an overhead reel with my little hands…well I managed haha!

post-6598-144598541349_thumb.jpg

Success!

post-6598-144598541353_thumb.jpg

Yep, so I’m pretty happy. 66 cm from tip to tip, 58 cm from fork to tip. My first real snapper.

Shortie didn’t do badly either. Unfortunately I think Tom and I hoarded the monsters for the day, but in terms of quantity, Shortie was king. I wish I had taken pictures of all the colorful things he pulled out and I loss track early of how many fish he got. Every time I turned around Shortie seemed be reeling in something else.

post-6598-144598541356_thumb.jpg

Shortie’s one for the tucker box. I think it was 35 cm? Whatever was legal for keeping.

It was a great day out with good fishing and good company. Hats off to Warwick who was an excellent skipper, guide, and all around friendly and knowledgeable bloke. As we were motoring in at the end of the day, Warwick was pointing out different sites around the bay and giving me a bit of history of the area. I’ve been out with a few charters prior and you catch a few fish which is the point I guess, but the trip itself is just going from spot to spot. Catching a charter with Warwick feels like you’re going fishing with an old friend…who just so happens to know where to catch some really good fish and has a really nice boat.

post-6598-14459854136_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Warwick and Buckat List Charters for a great day. Thanks to Angus for introducing me to Warwick. And great to meet you Shortie, hope to see you around again soon!

juls!

I was a fantastic day out on an immaculatelly maintained Boat.

The skipper works very hard to find fish.

You wont find a better local charter operation.

This is the 2nd time out ive had on this Boat and certainly will be having another trip in the near future.

Well done and thanks again WARWICK.

after previous charter disasters I am more than a little dubious of charters, but reports like this may be enough to encourage me to give it another crack sometime. thanks for sharing juls

Rod... not the cheapest, not the dearest, but one of the best I have been on!

I am thinking of pulling another charter with Warwick together this side of Xmas.

Sweet report juls and some good snapper too.

I can't believe you think shortie is a good bloke, nor that he caught the most fish. But then again it was a sunny day :whistle: :P :laugh:

Have to agree with your comments about the charter with Warwick feeling more like a day out with a mate.

Archived