Sign in to follow this  
Rocket75

Anyone recommend outboard mechanic?

Having just taken ownership of an old (78) Johnson 6hp seahorse, I want to get it serviced before I take it out.

Can anyone give me a good contact for this sort of job?

I want some-one trustworthy and professional who won't take advantage of an inexperienced owner.

If not, perhaps you can give me a heads up if there is anyone in particular to avoid ( based on personal experience

Please login or register to view this image
)

I live at Boondall, so would be looking for someone northside.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Dont have any contacts, but I have two of them! A '76 and an '87 model. There is very little difference between them.

One runs like a train, the other we actually got out of a garbage skip just for parts, but Ferg has managed to get it going, although it is giving him trouble.

They are great little motors, run all day on the smell of an oily rag, very reliable.

If your transporting it in your boot or whatever (IE not on the back of the boat) make sure the gear lever side is up, you dont want to know the work involved in changing a gear lever if you break it off! (Power head has to come off)

I dont know if the '78 had a lock tab for holding the motor in the raised position (my '76 does not, my '87 does)If it does and your transporting it on the boat, and you cant leave it in the vertical position, use a motor support, the lock tab will not hold on its own.

I get 10kph out of mine on the back of my 4.9m boat. Quite respectable!

Hi Rocket, I have a contact in your aera, Seems to know what hes on about . Runs a mobile outboard mechanic business. Will send you a PM with details. I have only brought parts off him though.

Dazzamcgee wrote:

If U can get it up to Caboolture I can put U on the right track.

Im in the caboolture area and need an outboard serviced. Do you know of someone that can do it???

( BTW first post:cheer: !!!

First of all, like feral said \"Welcome aboard\"

Yeah danbazzil I do know a Qualified marine mechanic in Caboolture. A great guy who knows his stuff when it comes to outboards.

Sending U a PM with the details......