Wed 28th. Peel, Harries, whales...awesome!

rathabfishin2

Well my cousin and I arrived at the Victoria Point ramp and launched just before six to a cloudy yet still morning. The water was like glass as we motored quickly towards Peel and anchored up on a mark near SW rocks.

post-8423-144598542695_thumb.jpg

We were baitless and were using gulps for the day and after a few casts using a crazy leg jerk shad (currried chicken), up comes my first for the day. A little squire of 30 cm, so back in the drink he goes and I am releived to know I have no donut for the day! Anyway after no real promising enquiries for a while I changed over to a 10cm gulp shrimp (sugar spice glow). While retrieving my first cast I say "it would be nice if something just".......and smash! As I was about to say "take the lure and run"' it does! At the begining of the fight there were headshakes, similar but larger than the small sanpper I have caught lately. After a spirited 4-5 mins up comes a yellow tail kingy. I couldn't believe it! One look at my ugly mug and straight back down under the boat he goes. Then back to the boat he comes, cousin has the net ready again and back down followed by a nice surface run. Fourth time lucky and we net him. My first kingy and although it was only 57.5 on the brag mat, I was a very happy lad.

post-8423-144598542707_thumb.jpg

post-8423-144598542718_thumb.jpg

After a couple of quick snaps he is released and darts quickly out of site.

Despite hoping for a school of them to be hanging around after I caught a few more undersize snapper we decided to head to a mark nearHarries to have a flick. The current was running pretty hard by the time we got there and we soon realised we out 3/4 once jig heads would not suffice. I added a heavy ball sinker to the jighead and could reach the bottom. The small snapper seemed to like the crazy leg gulp and despite many hits my cousin was still on a donut. :woohoo:

We changed tactics and drifted and after drifting a long way toward Peel and me catching a few more juvenile snapper my cousin finally dropped the donut for the day. By now it was 11 and getting rather warm so we decided to cut our losses and head to Horseshoe Bay for a quick dip. The water was awesome and with no boat traffic we were swimming around with a few medium size rays. :)

Refreshed and ready to face the mainland we started heading home. On the way out we noticed a very large dark shape floating dead still on the surface. We cut the engine and have a look from a distance and you would swear it was a dead whale! :huh: Five minutes we looked thinking we should maybe check it out in case it a dead whale and report it since its so close to Peel and having a big bighty bighty hanging around Straddy ;) ). Then bubba whale surfaced and they both began to move :cheer:

post-8423-144598542727_thumb.jpg

post-8423-144598542738_thumb.jpg

All pics were taken zoomed right in which made it hard but we stayed out of the exclusion zone.

After a little more whale watching we headed off home so my cousin can and I quote "do my chores to so I can getanother leave pass for fishing when I get back in a few weeks".

All in all even with no keepers it was a great day to be on the bay!

Cheers Andrew

good read mate we saw the whales a few weeks back near harrieswonder why we are seeing more of thease so close in the bay?

Thanks Brad. They like to have a rest in the bay and on the migration down south. Apparently mothers and calfs take there time to ensure the calfs have enough fat to help cope with the much cooler southern waters. Not sure if numbers are increasing as I have not been a regular bay fisher but I like to be optomistic and say that maybe there numbers are increasing :cheer:

good read mate we saw the whales a few weeks back near harrieswonder why we are seeing more of thease so close in the bay?

Thanks Brad. They like to have a rest in the bay and on the migration down south. Apparently mothers and calfs take there time to ensure the calfs have enough fat to help cope with the much cooler southern waters. Not sure if numbers are increasing as I have not been a regular bay fisher but I like to be optomistic and say that maybe there numbers are increasing :cheer:

If advertising is anything to go by I'd say your wish is a safe bet.

A few years ago they were saying saying 10,000 would pass by; last year they were saying 13,000; and this year they have been saying 14,000.

So either they're learning to count better, lie better, lose truth in advertising better, or the numbers are indeed improving.

Judging by the numbers being reported on here I'd say it's almost time to call the Yushin Maru. :dry:

Archived