Siezed nuts.....

bootyinblue

Now I can see this thread going downhill real fast, but hopefully I will get a sensible answer before you all start.

I am trying to adjust a few rollers on my trailer but the bolts and nuts are all siezed up. Have tried Inox, and WD40 and Penetrol to try and free them up, I dont have any heating equipment here, so apart from cutting them off and getting new ones does anyone have a tried and tested method to get them off with minimum of knuckle skin lost?

hmm bugger

heat treatment proably be ya best bet. at trying to crack them. the ones that i have done when there that bad always seem to sheer off at the head and had to cut em off any way

i have a little blow torch if ya wana use it. to see if it will work

your in ippy arnt you? iam sure i could get it to ya no probs just not tommorow iam fishing:P

i find they shear off most the time when they are seized ,no matter what u spray on them .

snap them off get a cpl of good drill bits ,dill them out and retap the thread .

its not hard i just did the 4 nuts for the skids on the trailer i got with the boat .

most annoying part after spaying Inox and WD40 ,wire brush and sanding the skid mounts.

they will still not move .

tried a big hammer and a 1/2 a sleeper to knock them down .

rattle gun would be better than a big spanner as it uses shock to loosen them ,big spanner ,braker bar uses straight force/pressure.

They are not a left hand thread? The early Valiants had an opposite thread on the passenger side. Lots got trashed at the trye shop with monkeys with a wheel nut gun going apeshit on them...................

Give them a tweak in the opposite direction anyway. Somtimes that breaks the synergy......

Give them a tweak in the opposite direction anyway. Somtimes that breaks the synergy......

yeps that work too ,forgot about it ,but had done it many time if i'm not sure which way the nut undoes or if its locked up .

tighten it ,crack it ,spray with wd40 and work it .tighten /loosen and so on ,till its free .

if your ok with spending a little bit of money you could buy a set of nut splitters. they are very handy, i bought mine from trade tools i think and they are not very expensive.

you just fit it over the nut and start tightening until you hear a crack and the nut just falls off.

[attachment=26736]IMG_0688.jpg[/attachment]

missus does the same job :lol: :whistle:

mate just cut em off and get some good 316 stainless bolts and put some copper anti sieze on the threads. , as the bolt corrodes it roots the inside bush of the rollers anyway but with stainless will last alot longer specially if you give em a good spray with wd 40 everynow and then .

Fishing nut : if your single the old sheep newter of 2 bricks works well too! lol

Archived