brissy river bass out of the flood waters

mick fillet

been doin alot bass fishin of late the recent floods and opening of wivenhoes gates has got me hooked on the fresh again. last time i experienced bass fishin in the brissy river this good was back in 1998. it brings back memories i tell ya. Iam finding my self fishing the exact locations as i did back then in the 98 flood waters and the banks and landscape havnt really changed that much either

Iam mainly hitting up fernvale / lowood way back of kholo areas I have been going for a fish after work every day.and have located some very nice snags to fish that hold heaps of bass day after day so its become just a little bit to easy to go down the brissy river and smack a few bass up.took a bit to find new snags holding fish. and a lot of lures lost csting into them .

most of the bass are around the 40 mark and iam only just managing to land them on 10lb.The flow of the river is very strong and the river is still very swollen and this makes it a little tricky to land the fish at times esspecially when they head straight out into the open rapids and off down the river the fish go peeling line like crazy trying to turn them out of the current into the slow moving edges is the secret if you can do this you will land em succesfully.

post-5342-144598544909_thumb.jpg

the tops of trees like this snag are holding good fish on them.the pic doesnt really show just how fast the flow is but it is roaring and the bass are sitting behind these green snags in large numbers pulling a couple from each snag before moving on to another snag and later on coming back to the same snag

post-5342-144598544915_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544919_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544923_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544926_thumb.jpg

smaller models were smashing transams

post-5342-14459854493_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544933_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544936_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544939_thumb.jpg

[attachment:10]C:\fakepath\SANY0189 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:11]C:\fakepath\SANY0206 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

its not just the river thats on fire.there are a few almost land locked pockets of water holding lots of fish.The eagles know whats going on theres a few starting to gather around the water holes so when the water subsides it will be a feast of a life time for the birds, i have been catching fish out of hear and tossing them over in the river

[attachment:12]C:\fakepath\SANY0207 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:13]C:\fakepath\SANY0193 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:14]C:\fakepath\SANY0199 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

most of the bass are really clean have no sores and are very blue in colour

i found they have been bitting best in the morning but the bigger modles are coming out to play in the arvo

hears a pic of a fish that would have gone close to 60 maybe.I almost had it on the mat looking sweet as for a photo when it went balistic knocking over a upside down bucket that i had a beer and a packet of chips sitting on and the bass just jumped back in the water I clicked the camera and got a shot of it cause it is one of the biggest ive seen but i would have liked to know what it went oh well ill try again tomorrow

[attachment:16]C:\fakepath\SANY0180 AFO.jpg[/attachment]

thanks for reading cheers mick

post-5342-144598544943_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544945_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544948_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544951_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544953_thumb.jpg

post-5342-144598544956_thumb.jpg

yeah davo def worth a shot.

well down past crosby's second weir is real hot action. some young blokes were using bait under a float 2mtrs from the edge and doin really well ay.not just catchin bass catchin everthing big bream, barcoo graunter ,spangles, good size caties and a few eel tails which they kept cause they reckon there top tucker: :unsure: blink:

nice session mate, are you gettin them on divers?

yeah demiki vaults are good. transams, kokoda jackle imitations are doin alright. in black/blue ,

vodoo HB gold, minmin HB 2mtr also gold . 75mm macks mauler 3mtr HB blue/silver

this morning i hit kholo with great success on berkly hollow belly paddle tail hardry head 1/4 oz jighead no technique involved just cast let it sink and wind in towing the lure behind the snag.

I thought i saw a bullie cruzin the edge out there as well and kholos well above the weir.not 100 percent sure but pritty sure. was around the 1mtr mark

nice session mate, are you gettin them on divers?

yeah demiki vaults are good. transams, kokoda jackle imitations are doin alright. in black/blue ,

vodoo HB gold, minmin HB 2mtr also gold . 75mm macks mauler 3mtr HB blue/silver

this morning i hit kholo with great success on berkly hollow belly paddle tail hardry head 1/4 oz jighead no technique involved just cast let it sink and wind in towing the lure behind the snag.

I thought i saw a bullie cruzin the edge out there as well and kholos well above the weir.not 100 percent sure but pritty sure. was around the 1mtr mark

hahaha so basically if it has hooks it'll catch bass at the moment. that big one must have pulled alright.

adam

Archived