Two down... many more to go (14.11.2010)

Eug

Coming off a pretty average trip from Mondy, Tina and I made a last minute decision to take the dog out for a walk and have a bit of a fish. I did google map search and I'd found a place which reeked of carp/tilapia in park that was adjacent to Slacks Scrubby Creek. A quick look in the pantry and I was able to raid a bit of tomorrow's lunch (bread).

We arrived a little after 15:00 while taking the furball for a bit of a walk and found a platform to fish off. While Tina was rigging up I began to burley around. It started off quiet and enjoyable simply watching the ducks paddle around then the pieces of bread began twitching and it wasn't long before some surface activity occurred. We kept loosing bread and I managed to get a look at whatever was taking the bread, small minnows of some type. We weren't overly fussed about the fishing as it was quite an enjoyable afternoon relaxing on a park bench.

I got up to berley our last slice of bread when I noticed what I thought was an orange flower bobbing up and down in and amongst the lillypads. Tina managed to throw a few crumbs of bread into the hot zone and sure enough I managed to recognise distinct whiskers. A quick knead of bread onto the hook and I managed to flick just afar from it, slowly I retrieved just passed it when my piece of dough disappeared a bit of free spool and lowering of the rod and I was able to set the hook. A bit of a play with the silly string and I was able to keep it out of the reeds and pilons of the platform to get a bit of a look at the size of it. Immediately Tina mentions that there's no way we'd be able to lift it on the line I was using so I passed the rod off to her to continue the fight, in all honesty this thing gave her a bit of curry (nothing like a thready or barra but still got us scrambling nonetheless). I managed to squeeze through the wooden railings and she brought it to the surface, a quick swipe at the lip grips and up onto the deck it goes. Didn't bring the lie detector, but it was a decent one out of the system.

post-3471-14459854891_thumb.jpg

post-3471-144598548917_thumb.jpg

post-3471-144598548926_thumb.jpg

Tina was next on the board using the same technique, bit of burley, wait for the fish and sight casting the last piece of bread into the hot zone. This time the line just slowly sunk, she counted to 3 and hit smoothly but firmly. Bit of a play on purposely lightened drag and we managed to get it up onto the deck in the same fashion. Another one out of the system and we'd done our green duties for the day.

post-3471-144598548923_thumb.jpg

post-3471-144598548931_thumb.jpg

A quick knife to the head for both fish, bagged and binned ASAP. Carp isn't much but what was supposed to be a nice relaxing afternoon was well topped off with a bit of effortless fun.

We are by no means experts on carp fishing but it's certainly a good time killer especially when there's plenty of little creeks just 10 minutes from home. A bit of bread, a size 8 hook and some light line and you're set.

Thanks for reading

Enjoy

Eug

you eat carp?!? :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

you might have missed it but: "A quick knife to the head for both fish, bagged and binned ASAP."

post-3471-144598548935_thumb.jpg

Here's a map of the place if anyone's keen for a slay... there's also a bit of a dirt bank which some guys were fishing from also, they had a few runs themselves.

Thanks for that Tristan (and KAF), I've ammended the name. Handy place to have nearby and shoot the breeze for an hour or so.

Brian: Thanks, just enough for lunch mate! :D

Schmuck:They aren't much of a striker, more like a slow inhaler. Once it realised it was hooked the big one was an okay fighter on the silly string.

Fishguts: I've heard the same from some overseas people, but I'd rather eat the cod and flatties I catch.

Mick: Thanks, plenty of those little ponds/creeks around the place. I was equally surprised as I just searched on google maps for the nearest body of water. It's great when a small plan comes together.

I caught a 15 kilo one on lake hume on trout gear 4llb line once . that took some doing ,had to chse him a few times with the boat to get some line back. They make great fertilser. Bury them under a rose bush and it will flower brilliantly . They would get really thick in schools at breeding times ,you could nearly walk on the water they were that thick.

• 1 year later...

Jeez this is a blast from the past.

Gus the bigger ones go pretty good with the silly string, there are lily pads and snags to contend with so you get the occasional bust off. Have got a few more recently but been quiet since the floods.

Archived