What Lures Are best

fishingfon

Hi everyone, i am going up to urangan pier this cris, I don’t supposes any of you can tell me what lures are best for Mackerel, Tuner, Trevally, Turrum, small GT in the day and what lures should i use at night for queenies, barra, tarpon ect.

and i was going to put out one 15kg rod with a dead bait on it, please can someone tell me what bait and rig is best

Thanks Corey

Its better if you flick out a livie under a ballon but make sure you get to the end early as there will be millions of people there with 10 rods each. You can use most live bait even happy moment just be careful of there spines and on the lure side depends on the rods you are using if using a surf/jetty rod it doesnt hurt to have a few metal slugs and a few plastics and feather jigs dont go a stray either

Hi, yeah i was going to use a livie but i have not got a cast net yet and i have been trying with a bait jig for about 8 weeks and not a single baitfish yet, and the rod i would be using would be a 6lb to 10lb light spin stix spooled with 15lb braid, or a 12ft 5kg to 8 kg surf rod spooled with 25lb mono. and yeah i would only have two rods out at a time

Thanks Corey

I went for a holiday there about 4 years ago and unless things have changed, can tell you that you will have no problem getting live herring with a jig- millions of them there. Also right up the end seems to fish the best drifting down an unweighted livie with the tide. Retrieve, and repeat, over and over till something eats it!

mate i lived in hervey bay for 20yrs nd worked at te tackle shop near the pier for 4 yrs, use flasha lures in the 35grm plastics-3-4 inch power baits, water melon fleck or casper clear, live herring are the bomb u can only get them on jigs tho as theres a cast netting ban up there, at nite get some live squid nd put under a float for queenies, barra sharks ect...

always had best results on Trev's with a smaller mullet/herring live with a 1oz sinker and about 1m - 1.5m running trace.

barely legal whiting also rock for bigger trevs as they patrol the bottom face down looking for crabs and small fish, plus whiting don't tangle a running rig that much.

as for lures, im always a fan of halco twisties, fired out and winched back as fast as possible for tuna and mackies and daytime queenies.

night time i prefer squidgies, found glow ones dont work that well on barra tho, try the darkest colour possible, and dont forget the s-factor that comes with them.

Hey,

if your only looking for small trevally, i'd reccomend a $7 Kmart lure, Super Bream, My friend and I caught 8 trevers 2 moses perch and tailor in half an hour only swapping colours of the lure they are great, but be carefull with them as i have had them snapped by a bigger moses perch, was pretty cool though, xD

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, yeah i was going to use a livie but i have not got a cast net yet and i have been trying with a bait jig for about 8 weeks and not a single baitfish yet, and the rod i would be using would be a 6lb to 10lb light spin stix spooled with 15lb braid, or a 12ft 5kg to 8 kg surf rod spooled with 25lb mono. and yeah i would only have two rods out at a time

Thanks Corey

if u havnt got a bait fish yet in 8 weeks i can but u will get a in about 8 seconds at the peir, buy ur jig from the guy across the road from the jetty hes a nice bloke and he will tell what jigs to use.

cheers doss

for barra, any size is best, even better if its the same size as the bait fish around, for bottom bouncing i would go anywhere from 5cm to 25cm experimentation is the key.... even consider one of those bucket o bait things, and get some bite enhancer to put on them. just cast a softie about 20 times, then change the tail, or head size till you get a hit.. keep a diary on what works in that area, you'll find some things that work off that pier won't work other places, hell, even a glow squidgy might be the perfect thing off there. there is no such thing as "the lure to use" there is only how you use it and where. most of the time when fish strike at a lure they would have struck just about anything at that place and that time

Archived