Your dissapointing pest stories

Young_fella

Just thought i'd start a thread seeing how many other people have been dissapointed by a big fight that ended up being a carp, catfish or something else.

Last night I hit up the coomera with mick fillet, after a few hours of no jew hookups, the rod bent over and let out the lovely sound of a line peeling. I could feel the weight of something good. Started to get real excited thinking it was my first jew... A few minutes later mick spotted it and start to laugh..... Turned out to be a biiiiiig catty. 54cmers!

I wasn't all that dissapointed as i think thats an alright pb catty, wish it was a jew but :laugh:

Love to hear some stories about what you were chasing and what you got! :silly:

friend of mine was sharking bulwer on moreton island a few years back,had a massive hookup and line was peeeling..he was barking at everyone that it was big and after about 45min it broke the breakers and the torches shone on it and someone standing back with the tailrope and the water revealed a telegraph pole hahaha when it caught his line it got stuck in the current and "ran".

Mine was when I was fishing some rocky country for Bass when something inhaled my lure and started taking line. It had massive head shakes and felt big, I knew it wasn't a bass and I was thinking has to be a cod as I wasn't familiar with the fight pattern. A few minutes later, to my disgust I see an eel :angry: It went 1.2mtrs. Still waiting on my first lure caught cod :(

fishing off woody point using a snapper snatcher with mullet strips and my line takes off and this is a good fish and is fighting really hard before i pull up a giant sea toad about 80cm >< it fought well but was hoping for something better thats for sure. on the other hand i was the only person on the jetty that caught something half decent (size that is)

Years ago off Point Lookout headland I had dreamt about catching something that would peel line of the reel.

It happened alright I fought this thing for about half an hour and it snapped me off. Wow I was pumped.

Same story for the next few outings until I finally got a look at a 6'Plus Shovel Nose.

I now know what they are when I hook up to one

Thats a monster catfish Funfisher. how big did it measure up to?

I dont recall the exact measurement but it was either 104 or 114 either way it was a mtr plus of verman :laugh:

and shovel noses... dont get me started :pinch: i did have a fair idea it was what it was though it was pulled in about half hour after the catty :pinch:

hervey11.jpg

I once caught a Volkswagen. Well not really, it broke me off and got away.

I was fishing at Combyuro Pt and had just cast my line out and walked a few metres up the beach and put the rod in a rod holder when some idiot in a chopped VW came screaming up the beach driving in the wash. He went between me and the water at about 60k/hr. He had rocket launchers on the rear bumper with 2 beach rods sticking straight up, and they picked up my line. I grabbed my rod, gripped the reel and hung on.

I actually saw my pilly and 5 ball sinker leave the water at warp speed and shoot off up the beach in pursuit of the VW.

Suddenly there was a loud whack, twang as the sinker hit his car and his rods shook violently in the rod holders. He stopped, got out and checked the rods, scratched his head and drove off again!!!

There must have been damage from the sinker.

I never did find the sinker and gang hook.

Archived