PERMATRIM

Lozzel

Well after my first trip into the bay, I found that I couldnt get trim wright on the outboard.1 hole out too far 1 hole in not enough and fuel ecomony up too s**t. So I brought a s,hand Permatrim off good ol E-BAY (I picked it up a couple off weeks ago only got arround to fitting today).

Hopefully It will perform just as good as the one I fitted to my big motors and boats.I find these perform much better than other foils as they are not as wide and not made of plastic stuff.

Might try and test it on the week-end & than add to report [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN0672.JPG

post-742-144598414496_thumb.jpg

ELLI ; She was dropping of the plane and buring her nose into the swel as soon I droped the revs a little. I have found these foils on my other big boats improved my fuel consumption by 30% and I could plane at lower revs, and in a 1mtr sea could still do a comfortable 45kms/hr . Hope this one does the same on the tinny.

Thanks, I'm interested to know as I've wondered about them for a while now.

I changed props a few months ago - same pitch angle etc, just smaller/shorter blades. It's on the plane quicker now and the ride even seems smoother, but when turning at 3/4 to full pace I think I'm experiencing cavitation.

I'm wondering if these things would have any bearing on that. Particularly with the fold down on the fins.

What are your thoughts ?

I have been wanting to get one of these for a long time but just have not got around to it. The whole purpose of these is to have more effect when trimming your motor and the ability to plan at lower speeds. They do not increase the speed and in many curcimstances will lower your top end speed. If you want more info try.

http://www.marinedirect.com.au/catalogue/category336

This another site I belong too. It is all about poly boats but there is heaps of info on Permatrims there as about 30% - 40% of the guys on there have had them fitted. so there is heaps of info on price, fitting and preformance. Go to the motors section or do a search on permatrims in the forum

http://www.polyboatowners.com/forum

Lozzel sounds like U were suffering from a ventilation problem when backing of the revs(nose dives down and the ass end pops up causing air to be drawn into the blades)this can have a lot to do with the transom height verses outboard leg length also the hull design.

The larger ventilation plate U brought will help u with this and also help to pop u up onto the plane quicker and save on fuel but like i said before a bigger prop would do the same thing but would low the RPM range causing it to take alittle longer and more RPM to get on the plane....

Ellicat your problem sounds more like a cavitation problem.Whats the condition of your prop?If it has damage to the edge of the blades this could be the problem as it causes a low vapour bubble to form allowing the prop to over rev. U may need to get a larger vent plate or a prop with more rake to over come this problem..

Thanks fellas. The prop is in top nick Dazza. I'd say it's just a bit too small. I didn't have the problem with the old prop but it looked like the teeth of an old boxer that had never worn a mouthguard. It was bigger though. It was also slow to get us on the plane.

Finally , Time to test the Permatrim,got off work early so took the tinnee down to get wet at Nudgee ck. Launched just on top of tide.

What a difference the foil made, Up on the plane quicker,smoother on the motor and can hold on the plane at under 1/2 throttle. Keeps her nose up Although there was no chop out the front to try it .I think it will handle much better in a small swell.

Shifted the fuel tank also to opposite side,stoped the list to port which has also helped.

Top speed is still 43kms but engine is running less load so fuel consp should be better.Also can run lower revs to maintain the plane.

As I thought I am very happy with the result as they have worked on bigger boats with simular results.

• 1 month later...

I got one of these a Se sport 300 cost 99$

Before the boat had it on it was a fine line between hammer on the plane or nose in the air :(

I fitted the foil and what a difference gets on the plane easy and if needed I can now adjust the trim (power trim) to get her nose up

Gaz

Post edited by: Gazza, at: 2007/06/29 15:22

Archived