Wet Weather gear?

rayke1938

Besides a new hat I need some new wet weather gear and wonder what other members use and can recommend.

I currently have 2 3/4 lenght coats that both leak.

One is a team that is supposed to be guaranteed waterproof but leaks from the shoulder seams.

The other old faithfull is a ex ses coat that my son in law gave me several years ago and nowit too is leaking through the seams.

I have yet to find waterproof trousers that while they are are ok whilst standing always seem to leak through the seam as soon as I sit down. ( Maybe fat rs syndrome )

Cheers

Ray

Scotch guard the beejeesus out of the seams, Ray.

or get a little bottle of the tent seam sealant from the camping section of BigW or BCF etc.

Works for me.

For bottoms - those ridiculously priced fishing bottoms that are made from the same stuff as the old AFO shirts do dry pretty quickly.

i've had plenty of good wet weather gear over the years for working at sea in all the elements and would recomend a good 3/4 length coat over the pants that are both pvc reinforced gear and we get ours from totally work wear shop at capalaba and in the past from sherlock safety at tingalpa.

you want it with sleves that you can velcrove tight at the wrists and the same with the pants at your ankles, also around the neck line should be tight .brand tornado from newzealand is good gear but hard to get in qld or australian industrial wear which is what i'm using now and is good for any climate as it breaths well but heavy enough to block any wind or rain

I have a burke and wills brand 3/4 coat and regularly apply the waterproofing. I lay it in the sun and get it warm before applying the paste, and keeps me dry on the bike and standing up.

Pants, I bought a pair from a motorcycle accessory shop. The only place that lets in a bit of water is where the zips go up from the ankles, but thats doing 100km/h in the pouring rain

I've been riding motorcycles for the past 35 years and it's a common bug bear of most riders trying to find something that remains waterproof. Why is the crotch the first place to go?

In my experience the $300+ sheckles you fork over for the top quality gear still only lasts a season.

The best I've found are the cheap plastic coats, ie the yellow or blue ones. You can get pants and coats and sometimes you get a hat with them also.

They are easy to pack and do the job.

The only downside to the plastic rain coats is that they get hot if you are wearing them for a while as they don't breathe at all.

Other than that, grab a driza-bone. Oilskin coats are great. Only downside for these are that some people don't like the "oilyness" of them. ie, don't wear a white work shirt underneath one LOL.

If you are really cheap or a good emergency tip, grab a newspaper on your way out. I've used this method when out on the highways and caught in heavy rain. Stuff your pants and jacket with crumpled newspaper... Keeps you warm and dry for a little while anyway. Wet is ok, cold and wet sucks a$$.

Hope this helps.

Gday Ray,

I have an Australian made Horne brand 3/4 length heavy PVC raincoat that I bought with my waders about 20 years ago. It has an attached hood with a drawstring. The front has a heavy nylon zip and velcro flap over the zip. The sleeves have a sewn in gusset in the wrists, but the elastic needs replacing.

You can have it for free if you want it.

Its a heavy raincoat, and a little restrictive due to the thickness of the PVC, but it sure is waterproof and probably good for another 20 years. The size is medium. I'm 5'7" and 70kg and it's a bit big for me. I bought it to fit over a thick jacket in the winter.

I use a Dri Rider jacket and pants these days, very light, comfortable and dry.

Tom

I have the same problem while fishing the 60 to 100 dollar raincoats should be called spray jackets, because as soon as the rain gets a little heavy or lasts for awhile you end up wet on the inside. Columbia have raincoats that are supposed to be waterproof and breathable and are lightweight as they are suited to bushwalkers I think they start at about 160 dollars, I might have to investigate.

Dino

Gday Ray,

I have an Australian made Horne brand 3/4 length heavy PVC raincoat that I bought with my waders about 20 years ago. It has an attached hood with a drawstring. The front has a heavy nylon zip and velcro flap over the zip. The sleeves have a sewn in gusset in the wrists, but the elastic needs replacing.

You can have it for free if you want it.

Its a heavy raincoat, and a little restrictive due to the thickness of the PVC, but it sure is waterproof and probably good for another 20 years. The size is medium. I'm 5'7" and 70kg and it's a bit big for me. I bought it to fit over a thick jacket in the winter.

I use a Dri Rider jacket and pants these days, very light, comfortable and dry.

Tom

Tom thanks for generous offer but i am xxl.

I am looking for something similar to my current ses one which is fairly light and breathes.

Cheers

Ray

i got a black berkley jacket and pants from bcf was about $80 for the pair and have kept me dry for close to a year in some pretty heavy rain.. great for keeping the freezing wind out at WOT down the river 4am in peak winter too :laugh: If your willing to spend the money any of the Gortex stuff is probably the best on the market.

i got a black berkley jacket and pants from bcf was about $80 for the pair and have kept me dry for close to a year in some pretty heavy rain.. great for keeping the freezing wind out at WOT down the river 4am in peak winter too :laugh: If your willing to spend the money any of the Gortex stuff is probably the best on the market.

goretex is awesome stuff, i really like it because its light but i've had it soak through on really bad showers before. best i've found is my old columbia snowboarding jacket. never let me down, but very costly piece of kit

I have the columbia thunderstorm jacket and they do a trouser as well ,the jacket was $140 i think but if you go to D.F.O at airport drive columbia have a end of lines store and they have a number of quality brands at the right price . My misses ended up with a mountain design one that is 100%waterproof as well ,O i have had my jacket out plenty of times and it is waterproof just dont get the daiwa version as it leaks around the embroidery ,thats what happened to mine and columbia swapped it for the non embroidered version ...matt:woohoo:

I use a Burke yachting jacket and soesn't let a drop in. Not cheap at around $150 but well made.

I've got the same as Dhess and agree, 3/4 length, waterproof, foldaway hood, lined with a pile lining so keeps warm and the cuffs are able to be valcro'd to keep waterproof, you need the pants though when it rains

Interesting read this thread.

With the biker and skier garments being recommended; are they suitable for summer seasons ?

if it rains in summer its normally quite nice to cool down

i am thinking of making a couple of water proof cloaks sometning large that can be worn in a chair and keep everything dry i have some tarp material iam going to try once i pull the old finger out .

jason

Archived