What to do with mutli banned members???

bootyinblue

The 'stayers' of the AFO swapmeet talked about this briefly and what we should do with troublesome people like multi-banned member Dan AKA - Flatty Catcher; Hooked_on_Trout; Davefishmad; The Nomad; The Queef etc etc.

See the thing that is going in his favour at the moment is that to 99% of us he is anonymous and hiding behind a keyboard to committ his indescretions.

I say, if you know the guy, fished with the guy, been to his house, taken a pic of him with a fish, or any other 100% factual information on him then post it on here. Lets out the bloke.

And by that I dont mean form a vigilante group hell bent on lynching the guy, but lets spread his face, correct name, address around so we all know who he is and perhaps that might make him think twice before carrying on like he does now and again.

Support it? Condemn it? Lock it? Its just my thoughts on a way to deal with it.....

Membership fees have been tossed around before quite a few times, but I dont see why we need to penalise the masses for the sins of the few,

People know this guy, they have been to his house, fished with him, so its not a matter of trying to find out who he is, but more public shaming for his continued behaviour.

I like the lynch mob idea myself. That Shortie bloke is bit of a troublemaker :whistle:

I doubt troubled youth like Dan would be detered by that. With a new username he is a new person.......until he hits the grog and shows his true colours.

Harfish, a lot of people would be loathe to hand over credit card details when stumbling across a site like this, and we have quite a few young members that make a worthwhile contribution to the site and being school age probably aren't flush with cash to throw it around

This particular case is truely a sad story,

unlike tomca, I`m not in favour of a lynch mob as I feel this troubled youth, through his use of too tight a grip during self abuse sessions, has already destroyed a huge number of blood vessels that are needed to carry oxygen to the end of his limb and service his brain.

I am of the opinion that when this sad case, looks on the site this morning and sees that he has a thread dedicated to him, his jolly fix for the day will have come early for him..

Sadly, troubled youth cases like this, find it hard to have any respect for themselves,let alone for others, so to hope that they may be able to play nicely with others doesn`t come untill the maturity level milestones are reached.(or counselling sought)

Annoying as this troubled youth may be ,I believe the moderators are doing a good job culling him each time his affliction rears it`s ugly head.

personally i am against fees to be a member because as mentioned there are youngsters with no credit card access or desire to part with cash to be a member and it would stop newbies to the sport learning about different techniques, ethics and etiquette when on the water etc. The site is great for learning and i think that part would affected by any sort of fees.

as for troublemakers, if people know what he looks like and can be recognised easily because of info posted, then they would be less likely to make the kind of posts that got them banned in the first place so plus one for me to get that done

thats my two cents less change

This 40+ year old fella is getting his kicks out of stirring a few members.

It is why I've started putting up the "Member Alerts" when he is recognised.

If as a community we ignore users like this there will be no joy for them and they will move along eventually.

So if you see a newish member being a bit controversial, stop and consider letting the comment/s go before responding and ignore PMs. Just pass the info onto the mods or admin by hitting the Report to Moderator button in their post or copying a PM to one of us.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to reasonable ideas/opinions being put forward too ;)

I think Ellicat's on the money. Forum troublemakers get their jollies by getting a response. The longer the post runs and the more agro it attracts, the better they like it.

If all posts, pm's and comments are totally ignored as if the person doesn't exist, they will move on to a forum where they do get a response.

Every time they rate a mention it just feeds the ego.

I would say, be nice to the guy, he's only got a little , and probley using rods that he found at the bottom of the sea. Be friendly to him, take him on a nice boat trip and a great day out fishing, and on the way home, drop him off on a nice little island with no mobile or tech access and leave him there. :evil:

On the fee idea, I dont want to sound bad, but if there was a fee on this site, then i would not have learnt every thing that i have learnt since joining up, I think keep the site fee free is good, because its helping me and everyone else learn more about how to look after the marine life and and whats legal and whats not.

I might be in the minority here but I like the ship stirrers, they make for a more exciting site. Some of the most memorable posts on the site have been deleted and have given the authors a folkloric status, while leaving the posts alive makes obvious the stupidity of the writer.

If we got rid of all the stirrers we wouldn't have immortal characters like Shorty, Pussca, Dassa and that Kreel fella etc to shake our heads at and laugh about/with... no about really.

BTW have you read the antics of Kev...

...oh that's right, they're deleted and you can't find them anymore, pity really.

I think my being facetious about 'troubled youth' was lost in the forum. My meaning is that he has never grown up and his behaviour is comparable to a young punk.

being aware of the facetiousness of the term,I chose to follow with it,it seemed to be the polite thing to do at the time:whistle:

I can see kreel`s point of view.

I agree with the majority, re not having a membership fee (just to make it painful for DH`s), as the site does attract a lot of young and not so young new fishos.

This site has many great knowledgeable anglers who are so willing to share not only their knowledge but also go out of their way with generous offers,decky spots,castnetting demo`s etc, so it would be in my view, a shame to put a barrier up for some,just to give some "troubled youths" their daily jolly by having that impact on this site.

He probably has a dynamic IP, If you grab each IP every time he tries to sign up, add to a banned list at the back end of the forum, also you can trace IP's to the host, send the host a friendly email about your concerns and they can have a word to him or as previously stated, get them to ban him permanently from the sites server.

May also be an advantage to have a word to AFO's server to see what they can do from there end??

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

A psychologist would tell you that it is not what his person does that is the problem, it is how you react that counts. It is a bit like raising children - never reward bad behaviour or you will get lots more of it, so just exercise your right to ignore any rubbish, concentrate on the many great contributors and the rest will take care of itself.

i agree with booty here, get up a pic of this idiot, ppl will see him around then. and he might hear us laughin under our breath. nothin like a knock on their front door. ask em to their face if they got somethin to say, and see how big n brave they are then, my money is on them bein nothin but cowards lookin for attention .

Ok i've locked this topic. We do not like promoting a banned member. To be banned from this forum is a serious offence and means it is not simply a ban from this website but also the AFO community. This means as a banned member you cannot participate in events or functions AFO hold.

We do keep on file a list of IPs and can like in the past report certain forum posts and personal messages people have reported to fisheries, the police and to ISPs.

Archived