Wear your helmet kidz

ellicat

My eldest son got a valuable lesson today when out with his mates riding their longboards (skateboards). I'd met up with Mitch as they were hurtling down a local street. After chatting with Mitch for a minute he jumped in the car with me to get a lift down to where his mates were headed.

About 100 metres down the road there was one of his mates unconscious laying in the middle of the road. We pulled up and a couple of helpers were already there with one on the phone to the Ambo's. He was out for about 10 minutes and had bark off his back and every joint on his body.

Ambulance attended and took him off to hospital in a neck brace where, when we left him still only half in and out of consciousness, he was waiting for a brain scan, chest and spine xrays, and a stomach scan.

....and he had a helmet on !

Stacking it is all part of growing up, but you need at least your head to be able to grow up properly.

God I hope the youg fella is ok a timley reminder with the school hoiladays just around the corner.

I caught my two girls riding there bikes with out there helmets and had the taken of them for a week and told if I catch them riding there bikes would wind up in a crusher

In response to KAF, Isn't the design of a helmet primarily for protection against injuries due to falls? I used to ride a lot of mountain bikes on rough downhill courses and after multiple falls I retain most* of my wits. One of which falls i remember flipping over and landing directly on my head onto loose rock/dirt out past samford, i think i would be stuck in the mental deficiency ward if i wasnt wearing a full faced helmet.

Helmets are designed as a one time crash protection, instead of the skull being cracked the helmet will flex/break to absorb the impact. Forgive me if your post was sarcasm but saying that helmets aren't designed to fit heads is silly in my opinion.

In response to KAF, Isn't the design of a helmet primarily for protection against injuries due to falls? I used to ride a lot of mountain bikes on rough downhill courses and after multiple falls I retain most* of my wits. One of which falls i remember flipping over and landing directly on my head onto loose rock/dirt out past samford, i think i would be stuck in the mental deficiency ward if i wasnt wearing a full faced helmet.

Helmets are designed as a one time crash protection, instead of the skull being cracked the helmet will flex/break to absorb the impact. Forgive me if your post was sarcasm but saying that helmets aren't designed to fit heads is silly in my opinion.

Yeah there was a bit of sarcasm in it. Helmets are good, as the old tv ad said, 'heros where helmets'.

I grew up on a bmx at the old browns plains half pipe before it got converted into a skatepark. Care free I used to ride without a helmet and had some pretty bad falls the worst didn't involve my head, I tried a back flip and landed on my back.

I've been knocked unconscious grass-skiing at Samford, snow skiing at Thredbo and riding my pushie as a lad. I've come off my motorbike and had to have the gravel scrubbed out of my back with a brush. I kinda like helmets and leather jackets and bubble wrap for that matter. I hope the youngster is ok.

PS - no real after effects from the falls except my short term memory

PS - no real after effects from the falls except my short term memory

I've been knocked unconscious grass-skiing at Samford....

You are sooo old for having been grass skiing at Samford, and I'm old for even knowing what it was.

I was too little for the grass ski slopes, got to go on the taboggan though!

Back to the topic...I was in a pretty serious pushbike v stationary trailer accident when I was 13 and don't think it would be overdramatic to say it probably saved my life.

The bike was not so lucky...write off - brand new 10 speed racer, crashed it on my birthday and spent most of my birthday in DR's surgeries and dentists :(

This was back in the days when all helmets looked seriously dorky (there are some pretty cool ones now) and there were no rules saying you had to wear them ), but geez I'm glad I was wearing it both then and now.

Have you heard how he his today brian? head injuries are scary I had a massive one when I was in high school ended with a large bruise on the brain,that may explain alot

Only just got word. He's got a bit of bleeding on the brain, but should be out of hospital Thursday all things going to plan.

Apparently he remembers nothing about it except briefly the sound of my voice talking to him in the ambulance B) :laugh:

It's a pretty scary situation. I had a good mate of mine fall off a skateboard when he was 14 and died as a result of hitting his head on concrete. Such a waste. I rev like all hell if my kids don't wear theirs and let them know they will not have their scooters or bikes if they tried it again.Some may call it overprotection but I'd rather be overprotective then have to live with myself if something happened because I let them ride with no helmet.

Hulk

Have you heard how he his today brian? head injuries are scary I had a massive one when I was in high school ended with a large bruise on the brain,that may explain alot

Only just got word. He's got a bit of bleeding on the brain, but should be out of hospital Thursday all things going to plan.

Apparently he remembers nothing about it except briefly the sound of my voice talking to him in the ambulance B) :laugh:

That voice is going to give the poor kid night mares :lol: :lol:

good to hear he should be ok by Thursday. Scary stuff

I agree with Dazza Imagine Brian's voice rattling around in your head. I have a similar thing. When I was a boy a dog opened up my face and tried to rip my cheek off. The only thing I can remember from that is when the Doctor said "this is going to hurt like salt" It still has a regular appearance in my dreams somehow

When he was in the Emergency waiting room and was drifting in and out the other mate said that Mitch and Brian had turned up. He said "Who's Brian ?" . We conscious ones all had a chuckle as he jokingly calls me Roy most times lol.

I was still a little bit hurt as we'd only been holding hands an hour before :P :laugh:

I've only been out to it once, but that was before I started wearing a helmet when I drive.

I've been knocked unconscious grass-skiing at Samford....

You are sooo old for having been grass skiing at Samford, and I'm old for even knowing what it was.

I was too little for the grass ski slopes, got to go on the taboggan though!

Back to the topic...I was in a pretty serious pushbike v stationary trailer accident when I was 13 and don't think it would be overdramatic to say it probably saved my life.

The bike was not so lucky...write off - brand new 10 speed racer, crashed it on my birthday and spent most of my birthday in DR's surgeries and dentists :(

This was back in the days when all helmets looked seriously dorky (there are some pretty cool ones now) and there were no rules saying you had to wear them ), but geez I'm glad I was wearing it both then and now.

STAKHATZ are awesome!!! i had a yellow one, but was really annoyed when my cousin got a blue one!

Archived