Moreton Trip - Overnighter

raven

Hi All

After a bit of advice please. Planning on a trip to Moreton during the xmas holiday period with the family (2 big ppl, 4 little ppl). Will be hiring a 6.0m Polycraft centre console with 174 on the back which should do the job nicely ;)

My concern is where to stay overnight and what to do with the boat whilst we're crashed somewhere. Don't really want to drag all the camping gear over with me as I don't think they'll be enough room onboard so would be after something basic, relatively inexpensive perhaps something cabin style with kitchen facilities (so that we can cook up the days catch for dinner!).

As a boating newbie though - what do I do with the boat during the course of the night? I'd be happy to fish all night but I doubt the misses and kids would be too keen. So where do I anchor it and how do I get back to it and how to I go about making sure it doesn't get nicked...?

Cheers

paul...

One thing with the Poly craft is that it can be beached safely, have a look at the tide times for the days you will be there, when we recently stayed over at wavebreak Tugger had a great set up for anchoring it may be worth trying to get in touch with him, what areas will you be staying in?

On my boat I anchored out in the waterway about 20 metres offshore then I had a 50 metre length of rope from the rear of the boat tied to a tree when we wanted to get to shore we just let out the rope from the anchor then when we were in shallow water tied off then tightened the tree rope when we returned to the boat just reverse it going back out into the water way loosening rope from the tree. hope you can follow it.

There are not any places on Morton to stay and be able to see the boat except Tangalooma resort. But that said you can rent a house at Bulwah or Cowan Cowan and either beach the boat or anchor. I would be more inclinded to anchor as there are a lot less bogans moving about in boats in the dark than there are in 4wds that might a bit light fingered. Besur to Anchor well as the currant can rip through that area. One year we were over there and a storm came though and the next morning there were trashed boats and missing boatsall over, my brothers boat was fine as we knew we were in for a storm and anchored well off shore and swam in.

Archived