Caboolture River Sharks?

white

Hi all. I have been spending a lot of time of late, around the mouth of the Caboolture river dead baiting for Sharks. but i have had no hits at all! what am i doing rong? i try whole gar,mullet big an small. i have tryed chum,burley. im about to try live bait an see how i go. but i would love some help, on what im doing rong. i have heard lots of storys about lots of sharks in the river right now. but its not comeing from me. Thanks:)

White,

I do most of my sharking landbased in the caboolture river. I have been down there a couple of times so far this year after stinking hot days only to have the nights cool and get no result.I have found from personal experience there that it has to be a fairly muggy sort of night to have sucess however this doesn't always guarantee anything.

I tend to fish the run in tide but further up the river(on the way out to Beachmere) with greater success but when they are fully in season you can get them either tide. I wouldn't really concetntrate in the mouth as much as the river bends tend to concentrate their schools closer in my opinion.

It doesn't matter what bait you use but catfish and live baits are best. I have also caught them on deadbaits such as chicken gut and mullet strips so when they are on the chew, as long as it's out there you are giving yourself a good chance. Hope this helps.

Hulk

I don't really weigh the sharks but I do get them to about one metre. They make for a great meal too at that size.Great fun.Being from Beachmere you would know where the river meets the road on the way out to beachmere(next to the cow paddock) that is where I usually go to get them.It is a game of patience too as some nights I have stayed there for 5 hours without having a nibble but just when I am packing up all hell breaks loose. Try there in the conditions I suggested above and you could do no worse than what you have done so far anyway.Good thing to pass the time is to drop some crab pots there too and check them during your stay.It helps to make the time pass faster.

Regards

Hulk

I went for a fish on the incoming tide, tonight. And had a crack at casting my first, 6f cast net. An ended up with what look like small clear bream. So I threw in my first live bait, and sat back for about 45 min. when my rod bent over like I have never seen before. And the line started peeling off, like I hooked a passing boat. I ran down the hill, picked up the rod, and tried to set the hook. And then the line went limp. I started winding in to find that he was still on the line. And then he started running again, Like a wounded bull! I have never had a fish run so hard an so fast in my life. Not that, that’s saying a lot. So I tried to tighten the drag. An then the 20kg main line went pop, an that was that. As far as I can tell it was a bull shark. I had one more big hit, but it didn’t stick. Now I’m set with the right gear an I‘m getting up at 5am too hunt, me some shark!!

White, your at the wrong end of the Caboolture river mate.!!

In my experience fishing that area of the river(below Beachmere) at night only ever produced large catfish so don't even bother!

The daylight hours in that area produce better fish, Flathead, Bream, Jews, Blue salmon, Tailor, Whiting and I even caught a stargazer there but never any sharks.

Now if its sharks your after head upstream waaay uuuup...!

There is still plenty of landbased spots upstream so dont be discouraged to go looking ;)

At one particular spot at times you can see the Bull sharks cruzing around in plain site chopping down on Bass! (oh did I say that?:pinch:)

I use live Herring most times but I have caught them using a gold bomber lure worked across the surface with lots of erratic action!

Upstream is the place to be for sharks the dirtier the water the better!!;)B)

Nice fight White, it certainly sounds like you had a shark alright so I bet you'll be that spot again and good luck. If they aren't on the chew at the moment, it could be due to all the rain lately, definitely enough to pump plenty of fresh water out into the Bay. I know some people are saying the opposite of this, but I think most sharks right now would be following the fish that spread out into the bay with that fresh water. Still sharks being the way that they are sometimes, it wouldn't surprise me if someone nailed a big one inland either.

Has anyone been hooking them up in the beach or bay atm I wonder?

Hi hulk, is that spot you mean just past montys mariner on the outside of the bend, i have tryed there about 4 times for bream, sharks, and craps and not a single fish or crab

Cheers Corey

Yes that is the spot. I too have had terrible luck with standard fish from that spot so most times I go I don't really have normal fish species on the hit list. I do most of my fishing there at night only due to family commitments and I find it easier to go there straight after work.I do know from posts last year that you can get sharks during the day there but for me it's mostly late afternoon through to night time.If you see a gold pathfinder down that way come up and say gidday,

Hulk

• 4 weeks later...
any body had any luck with the sharks, with all this rain about ? dont know if i would be waisting my time or not ? got a new reel for x-mass just for them an im going nuts inside :blink:

I don't think the fresh worries the bullies, in fact I suspect it may even bring them in. I went for a fish in the rain a few days ago as I was getting bored at home. It was howling from the south east, so I figured it would be sheltered at the mouth of Newport Waters.

When I got there the water was flat but filthy brown and the fishing was hopeless.

In the shallower water just off the channel there was a large number of mullet in close to the rock wall and I watched a couple of bull sharks chasing them on the surface. I didn't catch a fish but nature put on a good show for me.

There was a lot of fresh water at the time and the bullies were in a frenzy. Hard to tell how big they were as I could only see part of their bodies as they hit the surface, but I'm guessing they were under a metre.

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone i went to the caboolture river tonight and didnt catch a single thing, i was there for a good 2 hours and seen something smash a fish over the other side of the river, heaps of little mullet around. was fishing with live mullet and a popper and got nothing at all. then decided to go to the woody point jetty and got a few big hits but got snaped off, then hooked onto a sting ray and thats what i think snaped me off. no fish there either but still had fun catching the ray.

Archived